Ohio State interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckeye1206

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got one for 12/11, the day after finals and the day I leave for Ireland. A bit of a stressful week but soooooo excited. Goodluck to everyone else!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an interview too! Interviews are right in the middle of exam week for me but I couldn't be more excited!

I had to schedule mine for Saturday the 19th because my last final is the evening of the 17th and I have to drive out there from PA... so excited though!! No idea how I'll be able to focus on studying for finals...

Members don't see this ad :)
AHH! I got one too! It's super exciting but I have to see if I can schedule it later, they said they have to look into it. I'm stuck in Wisconsin until the 22nd. :scared:

yeah I actually had to reschedule my flight to Ireland, which goes through OSU, because they didn't want to deal with the hassle if possible. It was a stressful morning but thankfully I got to switch flights!!! I am the first interview 8am on the 11th! Ahhhhhh:)

congratulations to all of you guys!! so exciting..

i wonder if they stagger the invites, it seems like they may have sent them out over a couple of days last year (hopefully) still remaining positive until i am physically holding that denial letter :)

anyone got any insider information about this?

i am also officially addicted to this thread.. i think i refreshed the page 100 times in my 50 minute microbiology class, nothing like distractions

The admissions (Amber Cassell) lady said that they start sending them today and will continue to send them through the end of next week.

The admissions (Amber Cassell) lady said that they start sending them today and will continue to send them through the end of next week.

so hope still remains :D but the stress continues..

Congrats to all of you who received interviews. I will be hosting on the 11th. See you then.

Did anyone get confirmation of their day/time? Its just making me uncomfortable that I haven't gotten anything back yet after checking off the box.

Yipee! Me too. No, I didn't get a confirmation once I selected the time. It just said that they would get back to me.

i wonder if they stagger the invites, it seems like they may have sent them out over a couple of days last year (hopefully) still remaining positive until i am physically holding that denial letter :)

anyone got any insider information about this?

I don't know what's going on this year; I can only speak for what happened to me last year.

I didn't hear any news until Dec. 11th when I got a phone call and was told I was offered an interview for either Dec. 12th or the 15th. :eek: I about peed my pants especially since I had like 5 finals the next week (including one on the Monday they offered me to interview)! I will never forget that Sunday driving to meet my prof. She agreed to let me take my communication final early, so we met in a booth at bob evans! Then, she gave me some interview advice and I drove up that night for my interview the following day. Wow....how the time flies.

My point is, if you haven't heard anything...don't freak out yet. No news can sometimes turn out to be good news. :)

Good luck everyone; if you have any questions let me know! :luck:

Thanks for your post rachroo! Reading this thread makes me so anxious!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get confirmation of their day/time? Its just making me uncomfortable that I haven't gotten anything back yet after checking off the box.

I received a confirmation e-mail at 3:11pm. I chose my interview time sometime between 12 and 12:30 (that hour after receiving the initial interview invite is a bit of a blur, haha).

I also received a confirmation a couple hours after I chose a time.

With all the xcitement, there also comes the part of preparing for this interview (which ive only heard slightly horrible stories about :()

What is everyone going to do to prepare?:)

I got my invite today and confirmation today as well. I am interviewing on the 19th at 12:30. This is my 2nd time around, so I hope I make the cut. I am actually living in Columbus this time, so no more three hour car drives. Congrats to all!

I just wanted to say congratulations to everyone who has received interview invites!

I vividly remember when I received mine. I jumped up out of the computer chair and danced around the house like an idiot. :) It's so fun to read how excited you all are. Sometimes I can get caught up in all the studying and forget just how lucky I am to be here. You all reminded me!

It's so fun to read how excited you all are. Sometimes I can get caught up in all the studying and forget just how lucky I am to be here. You all reminded me!

Ditto, especially at this point in the quarter where you're just getting pooped out.

Also, along with what Rachroo said, I didn't get my invite till later on and I was feeling like this :scared: until it came. Last year they were staggered and when you were offered the interview didn't seem to mean they wanted you less or more, I think it's just how they're getting through the piles.

I know it's cliche to say don't stress during the interview and that you will anyway but they aren't horrible and intimidating, everyone was super friendly and glad you were there. One thing that helped in preparing was looking at past interview questions from different schools, answering them in my head and practicing it with a few people. Learn about what OSU has to offer, know some current events (especially vet related one), you may want to brush up on Issue 2 since it just passed. Have fun touring the campus, ask your tour guides questions, ask the student panel stuff you'd want to know from a studen't point of view, bring comfy shoes for the tour.

Congrats and good luck!!! :D

anyone know how many (a rough percentage) of interview candidates are offered admission at OSU? I tried to search for a thread like this but no luck

for those of you who received interview invites yesterday, did any of you notice if your status changed (from AcadReview)?

anyone know how many (a rough percentage) of interview candidates are offered admission at OSU? I tried to search for a thread like this but no luck

Last year they interviewed 191 Ohio residents and 281 out-of-state applicants. There are 100 Ohio residents and 40 out-of-state residents in the class. I'm not sure how far down the waitlist they went.

Check it out:

http://www.vet.osu.edu/assets/pdf/education/dvmProgram/incomingClass/Incoming Class of 2013 Info.pdf

Does anyone know what kind of interview questions they asked last year? Were they experience-based or personal questions?

for those of you who received interview invites yesterday, did any of you notice if your status changed (from AcadReview)?

yeah im wondering the same thing, did anyones status change yet?

congrats again :)

If I remember correctly (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), they notify accepted students fairly soon after your interview. I know several people were actually called directly after their interviews had ended (as in, 10-15 minutes later), while others were notified a few days afterward.

So when do you hear if you are accepted?? :eek:

I was pulled aside while waiting for a taxi. Freaked me out! They just said are you____? Yes. Come with me. (panicking)..... So we want to offer you a seat!

I also didn't hear about my invite to interview until late Jan and then it was the next week! So don't get too worried just yet. I am convinced that the order in which they ask people for interviews is random.

For those who were successful, what do you think you said or didn't say that was most important?

For those who were successful, what do you think you said or didn't say that was most important?

I think the most important thing is to take a moment after they ask you a question to come up with a coherent response. Try to avoid just answering before you think through your answer. The thirty seconds you take will seem forever to you but it isn't actually that long. I think it is important to state your opinion on any given question but also be open minded in your answer. If you don't know an answer to a question say you do not know. Trying to BS an answer is going to go badly.

As other people have said for any interview they liked you enough to ask you to interview so you just have to show that you are sane, prepared, and can carry on a conversation with a stranger.

Enough procrastinating back to studying economics!

Thanks guys :)

So nervous, excited, emotions!!

yeah im wondering the same thing, did anyones status change yet?

nope. I have a feeling it's going to be forever academic review... I think aside from letting you know if they've got your stuff, that page is completely worthless.

I know this is so much easier said than done, but don't get too antsy. My idol when I was a first year in college (a senior who was applying that year) didn't get an interview with Ohio until January I believe. Definitely did not mean at all that she was not a cream of the crop applicant. She got accepted to most of the places she applied to including Ohio, Penn, + Tufts.

oooh, one thing that I wished someone had told me before I signed up for interview slots (see, there's an advantage to not getting the first round of interview invites) is that if you get an interview in the morning, you have so stick around for afternoon tours/financial aid info/etc... If you get and interview in the afternoon, you have to still come in at 8:30 am.

I got a late in the afternoon interview thinking that maybe I could take my time in the morning... well... there's the tour and stuff and lunch that ends at 12:30, and I have to wait hours between then and my interview with absolutely nothing to do... How awful is that? sitting there nervous as hell waiting for my interview for hours!?

So... If I were you, I would try to schedule an interview in the late morning or early afternoon. Least amount of sitting around doing nothing but having a heart attack time.

i know some of you said last year you didn't hear about your interview until january - does that mean that this year people could continue to receive interview invites into december and jan (even though they said they would be extended through the end of next week)?

I got a late in the afternoon interview thinking that maybe I could take my time in the morning... well... there's the tour and stuff and lunch that ends at 12:30, and I have to wait hours between then and my interview with absolutely nothing to do... How awful is that? sitting there nervous as hell waiting for my interview for hours!?

You get to sit around and chat with some of your potential future classmates.

Is there anything worth seeing in the city / on the campus? I've not got an interview yet but I"m planning on it (stay positive, stay positive...).

Would rather walk around than sit there talking to people about the very thing I'm trying to get my mind off of lol.

You get to sit around and chat with some of your potential future classmates.

true that... but there's a difference between future classmates, and potential future classmates (seeing as 70% will not be even IF I get in... and seeing as my own chances are less than 1/6...)

as much as i would love to sit and chat and get to know other pre-vetters just for the sake of hearing their cool stories (like it would be so awesome if i could be in a room full of SDN peeps)... but I have a feeling I won't be in a chatty mood wanting to be inspired by others, when I'm nervous as hell and about to :barf:waiting for my interview. I mean, 10-30 min I could totally do... but like 2-3 hrs??? I don't feel like I'm going to the interview to make my new best friend here...

call me awkward and antisocial, but that's just me.

as much as i would love to sit and chat and get to know other pre-vetters just for the sake of hearing their cool stories (like it would be so awesome if i could be in a room full of SDN peeps)...

At my interview I was sitting around with a group of like 10-12 people. Somehow of which I think 4 of us were SDN'ers. So it could happen.

If I remember correctly (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), they notify accepted students fairly soon after your interview. I know several people were actually called directly after their interviews had ended (as in, 10-15 minutes later), while others were notified a few days afterward.

Well it all depends. Some people got a reply soon (I had mine in 5minutes) others had to wait days, some were weeks and many (if not most) were months before they heard a verdict. So don't panic if you don't hear that day.

Hey There Guys!

Congrats on getting interviews! I'll be there giving tours and participating in the question and answer session.

I encourage you to ask questions in the tours and ask questions in the info sessions. I personally encourage you to stay, while you are waiting for your interview. I know that last year I stayed and talked to the nervous applicants.

I don't try and scare you, but I'll answer most any questions you have. Its a great opportunity to ask a current student something you don't want to ask in a big group.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Good luck!

do you guys know if it's only the later interview rounds in which OSU informs you of your admission within days/minutes? Does this happen at all during early december interviews?

Interviews are being done differently this year - only around 9 days, as opposed to the 3 weeks. I believe they should all be completed by mid-december. People in the first day on interviews can be informed of an acceptance - it's not just those in later interviews. They are having interviews in the morning and afternoon (different from last year) and I believe more than one information session to accommodate that.

Interviews are being done differently this year - only around 9 days, as opposed to the 3 weeks. I believe they should all be completed by mid-december. People in the first day on interviews can be informed of an acceptance - it's not just those in later interviews. They are having interviews in the morning and afternoon (different from last year) and I believe more than one information session to accommodate that.

hum well i wonder if they are done sending out invites to interview then.. bummer.

So I am trying to figure out OSU's interview process. Do they have a certain number of people they interview, determine which ones to accept, adn then send out more interview invites?? :confused:

The way it worked last years they invited everyone to interview, and the interviews were conducted over a total span of like a month. The people who were definite acceptances found out right away.(minutes to within a couple days of their interview). Then the rest of the decisions were made after they had finished interviewing everyone.

How are they sending out interview invites this year?

yay just got an invite to interview so to all those still holding hope out there.. they are still sending out invites :D

I just found out today that my application was canceled because there was an issue with my credit card payment! I got that cleared up and now my application is processing again. Hopefully it's not too late because I was never notified of this problem before!!! Do we find out about interviews through mail or email?

I just found out today that my application was canceled because there was an issue with my credit card payment! I got that cleared up and now my application is processing again. Hopefully it's not too late because I was never notified of this problem before!!! Do we find out about interviews through mail or email?

thats kinda irresponsible that they didnt let you know that before now! just so you know.. they send out emails for invites

I just got an interview invite. :D Now I'm just trying to decide on which day to schedule it for...

This is SO different from how I was feeling last year at this time. No interviews, not really expecting to get any anyway. This year I was more hopeful but now to have it actually happen...let's just say I'm all :D right now.

So I got an interview today (yay!! :D), but when I click the link in the email, I go to a page that says this "As part of the annual admissions process at the College of Veterinary Medicine, we require each applicant to sign-up for a time they are available to interview.". But there is no where to actually sign up, and no dates or times listed. Does anyone have any suggestions besides calling them tomorrow?