Ohio State interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mine is at 8:15 am on friday the 18th....anyone else having theirs then? Well I signed up for that spot, but i'm still waiting for a confirmation.

Members don't see this ad.

Mine is Friday the 18th but I'm in the afternoon group, around 4pm

Anyone know how many OOS they usually interview? I've looked everywhere and can't find it! I know that last year they accepted 39 OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is at 8:15 am on friday the 18th....anyone else having theirs then? Well I signed up for that spot, but i'm still waiting for a confirmation.

Mine is at 9am. I picked a morning time because I had an afternoon time last year, and it was hellish. Waiting around for hours with so many stressed-out people...it really did not help my already high stress level.

As far as bringing parents/friends/spouses, I really don't think it will reflect poorly on you either way. Personally, I will be coming alone because I think having someone there with me will just make me more stressed. But this day is about YOU, so do whatever will make YOU feel like you are at the top of your game. If that means bringing someone with you, then do that. Trust me, no one here is going to judge you either way.

Good luck everyone! :D

Anyone know how many OOS they usually interview? I've looked everywhere and can't find it! I know that last year they accepted 39 OOS.

I believe there are 5 OOS seats reserved for West Virginia (the state subsidizes them because they don't have a vet school of their own).

I believe there are 5 OOS seats reserved for West Virginia (the state subsidizes them because they don't have a vet school of their own).

That's no longer true. WV changed their contract school.

Mine is at 9am. I picked a morning time because I had an afternoon time last year, and it was hellish. Waiting around for hours with so many stressed-out people...it really did not help my already high stress level.

As far as bringing parents/friends/spouses, I really don't think it will reflect poorly on you either way. Personally, I will be coming alone because I think having someone there with me will just make me more stressed. But this day is about YOU, so do whatever will make YOU feel like you are at the top of your game. If that means bringing someone with you, then do that. Trust me, no one here is going to judge you either way.

Good luck everyone! :D

Hehe, I picked afternoon because I am SO not a morning person. And I'm going to be crazy anxious either way.

I'm bringing my boyfriend with me for the trip, but he's not coming to the school with me.

Have you tried the beta blockers? That seemed like an interesting idea.. especially for us Ohioans whose biggest hurdle is the interview!

Hehe, I picked afternoon because I am SO not a morning person. And I'm going to be crazy anxious either way.

I'm bringing my boyfriend with me for the trip, but he's not coming to the school with me.

Have you tried the beta blockers? That seemed like an interesting idea.. especially for us Ohioans whose biggest hurdle is the interview!

I'm not a morning person either, I'm just hoping that being half-asleep will keep me calm! :cool:

Tried the beta blockers this weekend, and didn't really feel any different than usual. I guess that means they'll work? Ideally I would try them sometime when I know I'm going to be super-stressed, but that probably won't be till the day of! At least I know I won't be passing out or getting all weird.

Sticking with the hypnotherapy as well, but I'm less confident about that one working. I asked my husband if he thought it was having any effect, and he said I "seem different" but couldn't tell me how. Placebo effect, mayhaps? ;)

I'm not a morning person either, I'm just hoping that being half-asleep will keep me calm! :cool:

Tried the beta blockers this weekend, and didn't really feel any different than usual. I guess that means they'll work? Ideally I would try them sometime when I know I'm going to be super-stressed, but that probably won't be till the day of! At least I know I won't be passing out or getting all weird.

Sticking with the hypnotherapy as well, but I'm less confident about that one working. I asked my husband if he thought it was having any effect, and he said I "seem different" but couldn't tell me how. Placebo effect, mayhaps? ;)

I read this article about beta blockers-- they are supposed to prevent you from having physical symptoms of anxiety which seems like a good idea. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/AnxietyTreating/story?id=4664801
Maybe you could have someone scare you and see if you freak out? :)

My brother used hypnotherapy for trumpet auditions when he was going to college and it worked really well for him. Could have been a placebo effect but it definitely worked.

Mine is 12:30-1 on 12/15 and everyone is saying I need to stay until 4:30 for the information session. I had to get on the last flight back to Florida for finals at 5:30pm. Is it ok to leave the information session early to get on the flight?

Mine is 12:30-1 on 12/15 and everyone is saying I need to stay until 4:30 for the information session. I had to get on the last flight back to Florida for finals at 5:30pm. Is it ok to leave the information session early to get on the flight?

I also have a 12:30-1 but on 12/16.. when you receive the conformation e-mail it will give you the timeline for orientation. At least on tuesday, 12:30-1 falls in the afternoon session of interviews so orientation/tours and such is in the morning with an 8:30 start and finishing with lunch. Then you can leave when you are done with your interview :)

For those who are second/ third timers, etc for oSU interviews, what did the adcoms say you needed to work on in order to gain acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
The orientation isn't mandatory is it? Does it hurt your overall points if you don't go? I'm not sure I'll be able to due to flight times.

Can you attend another day's sessions? I'll probably be flying in before noon the day before my interview so could go to the evening orientation for that day.

The orientation isn't mandatory is it? Does it hurt your overall points if you don't go? I'm not sure I'll be able to due to flight times.

Can you attend another day's sessions? I'll probably be flying in before noon the day before my interview so could go to the evening orientation for that day.

Let them know that you want to come to the session the evening before. I'm sure they would love that you want to come and cared enough to do so.

For those who are second/ third timers, etc for oSU interviews, what did the adcoms say you needed to work on in order to gain acceptance?

Interview skills :laugh:

@HopefulAg: The information sessions aren't mandatory at all. Remember the school is trying to sell itself as much as you are trying to sell yourself. The info session is their chance to do that, as well as give you some really helpful info about financial aid, etc. Give student affairs a call, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you came to the session on another day.

JUST GOT MY E-MAIL!!!!! Apparantly it got siphoned into my junk mail so it didn't come through until this afternoon. It's too late in the day to sign-up for a specific time, but I'll be up bright and early to do so tomorrow. I'm actually kind of shocked, but really thrilled. Now just to book a flight from Las Vegas to Columbus :cool:

So I've been studying up on interview topics from the SDN website, but does anyone have any further topics (more current events) they would recommend looking over for the interview?

I'd be surprised if Issue 2 doesn't come up.

It is a measure that forms a board that oversees the welfare of farm animals in Ohio. It is related to Prop 2 in California in that it is designed to prevent that sort of legislation from passing. They tried to do the same thing in Michigan but failed and ended up getting some HSUS legislation.

Ok, wardrobe question. I am flying in that morning and out that night, so I wont be staying over. I will need to have everything I could possibly need with me, though. What kind of back to I bring? A briefcase seems so...lawyer-ly and old for my age of 22. But a big bag (think Marc Jacobs or the ilk) seems too informal...or is it?

Also, would it be really awkward to bring a pair of shoes that are flats to go on the tour, and then have heels to change into for the lunch and interview?

I have a question too... So i'm going to the tour/information session the day before my interview. What should I wear to that? I'm not sure if I have to wear a suit to that too...

Ok, wardrobe question. I am flying in that morning and out that night, so I wont be staying over. I will need to have everything I could possibly need with me, though. What kind of back to I bring? A briefcase seems so...lawyer-ly and old for my age of 22. But a big bag (think Marc Jacobs or the ilk) seems too informal...or is it?

Also, would it be really awkward to bring a pair of shoes that are flats to go on the tour, and then have heels to change into for the lunch and interview?

yeah im also going to take flats to change into for the tour because me+heels = death. as for the bag, didnt even think about it until you mentioned it.. guess i need to do some more shopping :)

I'm bringing heels for the interview and my normal comfy shoes for the tour, I'm guessing that a lot of people will do the same. My poor boyfriend is going to have to lug around whichever pair I'm not wearing, you should find a packmule too. :)

Hey There!

Don't feel bad about bring bags to your interview. I'd just let them know that you need to bring a bag and wondering if you could leave it in the office. That happens pretty frequently and isn't the end of the world. Now make sure its a nice bag and not something where all your clothes are in a see through bag or something, but yeah you should be fine.

Lots of girls bring heels and flats for the tour. It's not that far, but the large animal barns could be slippery if they just washed the floors for example.

Also, if you are coming for the tour the day before, I would still dress professionally. Everyone else is going to be dressed nice and if you are there in jeans, then you'll stand out like a sore thumb.

I thinnk you'll be fine, and I know girls are a lot harder to get clothes together that is considered business formal. All I can say is good luck!

So is it safe to say all interview invites have been sent out?

I wouldn't give up hope until you get a rejection. Someone randomly got an email on the 4th (a day when no one else got one) so you could totally get one any day!

ok is anyone else getting really stressed out for this interview? its not really my strong point and not that i am complaining AT ALL but my interview falls on the wednesday of finals week for me.. i have finals monday (microbiology), tuesday (immunology), thursday (cognitive psych) and friday (great lakes biology).. and now with having to drive to ohio i am starting to stress out about all that and of course the interview as well! i know i shouldnt complain because i feel so happy that i got one but still, so swamped right now. i also could really do with some sleepy time i suppose :sleep: anyone else feeling slightly overwhelmed right now?

Just concerned about what type of interview and some of the questions. I can't seem to find any 'past questions' stuff online so it'll be completely new and random for me.

So is it safe to say all interview invites have been sent out?

It's definitely possible to be notified very close to the interview dates. Last year, I got phone call for an interview invite 4 days prior to my interview.

Also, to those stressing out: don't! Just remember that lots of people will be interviewing in the middle of finals, too. And everyone is as nervous as you are feeling. If you try to stay relaxed, you are more likely to be yourself in your interview, and you'll study more efficiently, too! :)

:xf:good luck all!

Just concerned about what type of interview and some of the questions. I can't seem to find any 'past questions' stuff online so it'll be completely new and random for me.

http://more.studentdoctor.net/interviewlist.php?school=482

^ a link to the OSU CVM interview feedback page. There are 60 or so responses from people who interviewed there in the past, including specific interview questions that were asked.

A few topics you should expect to encounter: Current public/veterinary health issues (I used AVMA and CNN websites as resource to brush up on current and emerging issues), zoonoses (understand what they are and be able to talk a little about an example), know the tuition:starting vet salary ratio (OSU CVM is VERY big about making sure that applicants know what they are getting into financially!)

I was asked about my opinion of the horse slaughter ban in my interview, which I thought was a cool question.

You should also expect a few ethical/character based questions, too: "What would you do if...[insert situation]."
"Name a time that you had to make a difficult decision?"
etc...

hope this helps. Okay, I need to study for histo!

Can someone explain what the broad based curriculum at OSU is about? I'm trying to figure out exactly what that means, but I'm not finding anything on the website...

Thanks!

nevermind

Last edited:
Can someone explain what the broad based curriculum at OSU is about? I'm trying to figure out exactly what that means, but I'm not finding anything on the website...

Thanks!

It means that OSU does not track. Students are required to complete all of the core rotations. So even if you KNOW you're going to go into poultry, for instance, you'll still be required to pass all of the SA rotations along with everyone else.

In other words even though I know I'm going to be a small animal vet (and believe me I know this), they're still gonna make me stick my hand in a cow at some point. :p

In other words even though I know I'm going to be a small animal vet (and believe me I know this), they're still gonna make me stick my hand in a cow at some point. :p

And unlike our epi field trip its not going to be in the good looking end!

And I'll be there taking pictures, because I know it will be hilarious. :D

Oh please, missy, I know you're looking forward to it. And if your rotation is in Winter you'll REALLY like it...keeps your arm warm.:D

EDIT: And I like how you say "HAND." You're more tiny than I am, and every time I've palpated I am up to my arm pit.

PS I love how we're all on here instead of studying for cell...

Shouldn't we OSU people be studying right about now...?

Good to know I'm not the only one distracted.

Which hotels near the school offer a shuttle to the campus? (I think I read somewhere at least one of them does!)

I am debating on renting a car. But being from the south I am unsure of my ability to drive in the snow! Walking is not an option. Like I said I'm from the south and I wore a t-shirt today! :)

Goog God, I'm gonna be swallowed by an a $ $:eek:

It means that OSU does not track. Students are required to complete all of the core rotations. So even if you KNOW you're going to go into poultry, for instance, you'll still be required to pass all of the SA rotations along with everyone else.

Thank you! but now I think I'm a bit confused... don't most schools require at least some core rotations like SA and LA?

All schools require some rotations in both LA and SA so you can pass your boards but there are schools like UC Davis for example that let you take the minimum rotation necessary for either SA or LA and then you can focus on the aspect you're most interested in. Extra rotations in small animal medicine for example.

All schools require some rotations in both LA and SA so you can pass your boards but there are schools like UC Davis for example that let you take the minimum rotation necessary for either SA or LA and then you can focus on the aspect you're most interested in. Extra rotations in small animal medicine for example.

Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification. Phew, for a sec there I thought there were schools where people could go through all of their rotations and never play with the moo moos.

How do you current students feel about it by the way? I fee like rotations are soooo far down the line for me at this point that it's really hard for me to judge whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I feel that rotations give you a well rounded edge. Maybe some will not be as comfortable as others (by the way I would rather play with cows all day that mess with cats) they are an important aspect of learning. You gain a better appreciation for all animals that way. And now back to cell biology.