Ohio State interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For Ohio, the site opens and closes. It closes at around 4:30 Eastern time and opens the next morning around 8:30 their time. You can only schedule an interview when the site is open.

Members don't see this ad.

So I got an interview today (yay!! :D), but when I click the link in the email, I go to a page that says this "As part of the annual admissions process at the College of Veterinary Medicine, we require each applicant to sign-up for a time they are available to interview.". But there is no where to actually sign up, and no dates or times listed. Does anyone have any suggestions besides calling them tomorrow?

Try a different browser, maybe? There should be a chart that comes up and you can check boxes for the times you want. If that doesn't work I would give them a call asap, before the spots fill up!

I got it. I was doing it when they were "off". My b. So do you fly into Columbus and then take a taxi there...? Just wondering since I'll be on my own for this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Lalzi...

I looked it up on Mapquest and the university is only about 20 minutes from the airport (CMH, Colombus International Airport). If you can't rent a car you could definitely just get a taxi. :) I would imagine it'd be easy to get one from the airport. And there are a bunch of hotels very close to the school if you wanted to fly in the day before. That's what I'm doing since I have to be there by 8:30 in the morning!

When I lived out of state, I stayed at the Varsity Inn on Olentangy River Rd. It's walking distance from the vet school. Also, a lot of the local hotels offer free shuttles to the school.

Anyone know how many IS students they interview? Did anyone else apply to the veterinary public health program?

When I interviewed it was my first interview and my parents flew me in and I stayed at the Blackwell. It was expensive but I slept great and was well rested for my interview. Plus they picked me up from the airport so I didn't have to worry about that at all.

I encourage you to ask if you have any questions.

Good luck!

So I've been practicing for this interview since it's in (SHOCK!!!!) two weeks. The hardest question for me is "Why OSU?" I don't know...everyone seems to love it, amazing facilities, great location. I just wanted to know why everyone else applied to OSU :D

is anyone out there bringing anyone to the orientation? my mom really wants to go so im wondering if i will be the only one with her there..

though it did specifically say in the email that we are welcome to bring a friend or family member with us so..

So I've been practicing for this interview since it's in (SHOCK!!!!) two weeks. The hardest question for me is "Why OSU?" I don't know...everyone seems to love it, amazing facilities, great location. I just wanted to know why everyone else applied to OSU :D

Because its absolutely awesome here! :thumbup::thumbup:

bardsle 1 - Im bringing my mom too :) I figure she's helping pay for it, so she's entitled to come check it out if she wants!

Because its absolutely awesome here! :thumbup::thumbup:

Well DUHHH, I'm just thinking the interviewer's may not think that answer is the most professional one out there.

When I was doing interviews, I looked up some info on each school regarding what I want to do (lab animal), and wrote down everything notable. That way I had something to say to every school about why I wanted to go there. Also, for Ohio, I said that a lot of it had to do with the fact that my family lives very nearby and I hadn't lived near them in over 10 years, and they seemed to like that answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
is anyone out there bringing anyone to the orientation? my mom really wants to go so im wondering if i will be the only one with her there..

though it did specifically say in the email that we are welcome to bring a friend or family member with us so..

I'm bringing my mama too :)

I'm bringing my mama too :)

My boyfriend is tagging along, which means his dad is probably going to try to come too. So I might get stuck trying to impress interviewers and a parent at the same time! Do any of you know if it's a one guest limit?

I've got a close friend who is dying to come to my interview with me (he'll be applying to schools next year), but unfortunately he's not done with his finals until 10:30pm the night before my interview. I'm coming from the Philly area, so I need to fly out of here way before he's done with his exams. We're both bummed. My mom offered to come, but I think having her there will stress me out waaaay more than I already will be.

So I'll be going out there by myself, which I think is the best thing for me personally given the circumstances - anyone else going to the interview alone?

I will be there by myself! Does anyone know a good hotel near campus? I am too young to rent a car and would rather not have to deal with the hassle of a cab early in the morning.

I just found out today that my application was canceled because there was an issue with my credit card payment! I got that cleared up and now my application is processing again. Hopefully it's not too late because I was never notified of this problem before!!! Do we find out about interviews through mail or email?

This was me...and I still haven't heard back since I got everything straightened out last Monday. I don't think they evaluated my application until the payment went through the second time, but it's been a week and I'd still like to know if I got an interview or not. (especially since I'm traveling from Florida if I do). What do you guys think???

i will be doin the trip alone as well. I feel like i need the solitude the night before to prepare myself mentally for the interview. The blackwell on OSU's campus is a good but expensive hotel that is supposedly 5 minutes away from where we need to be.

After paying for a not-so-cheap flight, I couldn't bring myself to pay for the Blackwell, so I booked a room at a Holiday Inn that is supposedly just a few miles away. I'm renting a car and I'll bring my GPS, hopefully I'm smart enough to figure out the rest. :oops:

After paying for a not-so-cheap flight, I couldn't bring myself to pay for the Blackwell, so I booked a room at a Holiday Inn that is supposedly just a few miles away. I'm renting a car and I'll bring my GPS, hopefully I'm smart enough to figure out the rest. :oops:

Im staying at the Holiday Inn too.. my brother stayed there when he interviewed at Ohio too. It was fine for what he needed so im sure it will work perfectly for me. plus, it was cheap :)

Im staying at the Holiday Inn too.. my brother stayed there when he interviewed at Ohio too. It was fine for what he needed so im sure it will work perfectly for me. plus, it was cheap :)

As long as there's a bed and an iron in my room I'll be all set! I'm not picky. ;)

Hey There,

I had a couple of things to add here. Now I'm not an interviewer or anything, but I was always surprised that people brought family to the interview.

Now I had someone come once, but they just helped drive, not actually go into the veterinary school.

I just personally think it is inappropriate that people bring family or friends. They end up asking more questions in the tours or open forum than the actual students!

To me, that's a little inappropriate and actually reminds me of the term "Helicopter parents".

My parents helped me out, but they didn't fill out my veterinary application, they aren't going into the veterinary interview with me.

I know they care about you, I know they want you to succeed but you have to release the leash at some point and show that you can do it on your own.

Now that doesn't mean if you show up without a parent, then they are going to think more of you, but it certainly would pose questions in my mind if I was interviewing a student, if they were mature enough to handle veterinary school.

You may have a really good reason for your parent to be there, but unless you are prepared to explain that to them, then why bring your parent?

Plus, you need to focus on your interview and not on impressing parents, or entertaining them. That is what is most important!

The Holiday Inn seems to be a good idea and honestly, plan on taking a cab. What if it snows? And you have to wear heels or something, I don't know what you girls wear. Just plan on getting a cab and getting it early. Better to be early than late.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me, I hope I can help!

If you haven't gotten an interview invitation check your inbox today!! I just got one!!

If you haven't gotten an interview invitation check your inbox today!! I just got one!!
Oh christ I did too! Huzzah!!

And we're talking JUST got it in the box, as I had checked my e-mail about 15 minutes ago already.

They are still sending out interview invites! Received mine today 3:50p via email.

I mean I'm taking my mom because we have never been to the school (I am OOS) and it would be nice to have someone else there. Also, my interview is possibly the most inconvenient time as I have finals that week: monday, tuesday, thursday, friday and my interview is wednesday.. nice. Hence, my mother will be there for support and attempt to destress me! I think there will be plenty of people who bring there moms/dads/boyfriends/girlfriends/fiances so i think it will be ok if you come with someone or alone.

Not gonna bring anyone. Would double the costs and from Texas, airfare is expensive enough.

Thanks guys I got one today too! :)

I thought last week was the final week they were sending out interview invites, apparently not! Anyone know if they are still sending them out this week? Or was it just today?

anyone know if there's a way to access the osu supplemental application to review the questions and responses you gave???

Yep I was really afraid because I was stupid and forgot to save my responses, but thank goodness you can still access them!! Just login where you completed the supplemental application and there is a little box on the right that says something about a printable view and it will take you back to your application!

No idea. I saved mine in a Word document for that reason. I'm assuming you've already tried through the supplemental application page?

I will be there by myself! Does anyone know a good hotel near campus? I am too young to rent a car and would rather not have to deal with the hassle of a cab early in the morning.

I would recommend the University Plaza Hotel on Olentangy River Road. I stayed there when I interviewed for OSU. It's super close to the school and there is a free shuttle that will drop you off at the school and pick you up when you're done. I will warn though: NOT the cheapest digs in town.

Also: Lots of people bring a family member or two, but don't feel like you have to...I went to the interview alone and I'd say that about half of the people there were by themselves as well. Gives you a good excuse to chat up people who could potentially be classmates with you one day. Good luck all.

How much can one expect to pay for a taxi? In my little podunk town we don't really have reason nor need of them so...never taken one lol.

Last year I stayed at the Blackwell which is super nice. However, I'm pretty sure they have mandatory valet parking and in the morning it took them 20 minutes longer than I had planned to get my car (along with everyone else who was staying there). I ended up being late to the information session.. :eek:

So, if you stay there, plan on getting up early enough to get your car out of valet parking!

Bahhh! I have a final and won't be flying in until the morning of my interview...so I miss the first part of the informational. Anyone else have an afternoon interview on the Thursday?

I'm hoping to nab the 12:00 slot (if you didn't already). I didn't get the e-mail in time to really figure out any kind of schedule in relation to times and then the site closed for the day, so I'll have to look tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the 12:00 slot on the 17th though.

I'm hoping to nab the 12:00 slot (if you didn't already). I didn't get the e-mail in time to really figure out any kind of schedule in relation to times and then the site closed for the day, so I'll have to look tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the 12:00 slot on the 17th though.

Boo! Then you'll be in the morning group and not with me :p

FYI, if you sign up for a morning interview (8:15-12) then you have to arrive for your interview at whatever time and stay until 4:30 in order to go to the tour/orientation and all that jazz.. vice versa if you have an afternoon interview (12:30-5) you need to get there for 8:30 to start orientation/tours then wait around for your interview to be over.. basically either way you have to be there all day :rolleyes:

FYI, if you sign up for a morning interview (8:15-12) then you have to arrive for your interview at whatever time and stay until 4:30 in order to go to the tour/orientation and all that jazz.. vice versa if you have an afternoon interview (12:30-5) you need to get there for 8:30 to start orientation/tours then wait around for your interview to be over.. basically either way you have to be there all day :rolleyes:

You don't HAVE to go to the informational's. I can't make it since I have finals until after the informational's have started, and while they say they are 'recommended', they are not required...especially if you have a pain in the butt professor who MAKES you take your final the night before, even when you ask to switch.

Yeah, thinking back to my interview I really can't remember any parents being around. So I would personally avoid having the whole family in tow. I think the interviews are a great time to get to know some new people and potential future class mates, and thats not really going to happen if you have guests with you.

got mine today too, exciting! anyone else notice how few IS people are listed on the interview invite page?

How much can one expect to pay for a taxi? In my little podunk town we don't really have reason nor need of them so...never taken one lol.

a taxi from the airport to my house (slightly off campus, about 5 min to vet school) has been in the $20-25 range. not awful, but not super cheap either.

got mine today too, exciting! anyone else notice how few IS people are listed on the interview invite page?

a taxi from the airport to my house (slightly off campus, about 5 min to vet school) has been in the $20-25 range. not awful, but not super cheap either.

holy crappers, an 11 mile ride from the airport in boston costs $70-75!

Whoa...that's expensive. Might be cheaper just to rent.