General Admissions & OTCAS Ohio State OTD OTCAS 19-20

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otdtobe

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I couldn't find a forum for The Ohio State so I decided to create one! I applied 2 weeks ago ! Just waiting to hear back now

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything back from The Ohio State ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Applications just closed last Tuesday so maybe within the next few weeks we’ll start to hear something.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I’m a current first year at OSU’s school! I know last year we started hearing back about interviews in late October and through November. Interviews were in December as well as January, so you guys should start hearing back soon! Also please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! I’m a current first year at OSU’s school! I know last year we started hearing back about interviews in late October and through November. Interviews were in December as well as January, so you guys should start hearing back soon! Also please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you so much for that information! When I went to an information session last year they told us the school week was Tuesday-Thursday. Is it still like that?
How are you liking your professors and their teaching methods? Do you feel supported in your program?

Thank you so much for that information! When I went to an information session last year they told us the school week was Tuesday-Thursday. Is it still like that?
How are you liking your professors and their teaching methods? Do you feel supported in your program?

There isn’t really one set range of days, it just depends on the semester. First summer semester is Tuesday - Thursday, yes. But this semester we have classes Monday - Thursday, so it will change by semester. Also, the further along in the program you get the more out of class experiences you’ll have so there will be more out of class things throughout the weeks. Most class days are like 8-3, and one is usually a half day or so (Thursday for us this semester).

As for the professors and being supported, I’m sure I am super bias but for the most part I love the professors. Ohio State is a giant campus but the OT department is like a little family within it. Some schools I interviewed at didn’t give off as “warm” of a feeling as the faculty did, which is one of the reasons I chose OSU. So far they have been supportive and have pushed me to be a better student. For example, I struggled with anatomy in the summer and some faculty noticed, approached me to ask how they could help, and also gave me a kick in the a** talk that I kinda needed to hear and that I respond well to.

They do have their quirks and sometimes they’re not as organized or as communicative as some of us Type A people may enjoy. But really, bottom line for me is that they seem to genuinely care about us and helping us become better therapists - rather than being able to recall rote info.

Hope this helps! Glad to answer any more questions!

There isn’t really one set range of days, it just depends on the semester. First summer semester is Tuesday - Thursday, yes. But this semester we have classes Monday - Thursday, so it will change by semester. Also, the further along in the program you get the more out of class experiences you’ll have so there will be more out of class things throughout the weeks. Most class days are like 8-3, and one is usually a half day or so (Thursday for us this semester).

As for the professors and being supported, I’m sure I am super bias but for the most part I love the professors. Ohio State is a giant campus but the OT department is like a little family within it. Some schools I interviewed at didn’t give off as “warm” of a feeling as the faculty did, which is one of the reasons I chose OSU. So far they have been supportive and have pushed me to be a better student. For example, I struggled with anatomy in the summer and some faculty noticed, approached me to ask how they could help, and also gave me a kick in the a** talk that I kinda needed to hear and that I respond well to.

They do have their quirks and sometimes they’re not as organized or as communicative as some of us Type A people may enjoy. But really, bottom line for me is that they seem to genuinely care about us and helping us become better therapists - rather than being able to recall rote info.

Thank you! I really appreciate the information you provided as well as your honest input. Did you attend OSU for undergrad? I’m glad that you were supported when you struggled with Anatomy. Do you feel you struggled because your background in it was not as strong or was the information taught overwhelming?

How was the interview portion? That’s what I’m nervous about the most. What kind of questions did they ask you?

Thank you! I really appreciate the information you provided as well as your honest input. Did you attend OSU for undergrad? I’m glad that you were supported when you struggled with Anatomy. Do you feel you struggled because your background in it was not as strong or was the information taught overwhelming?

No, I came from out of state! But for anatomy, the short answer to that is yes. I didn’t do super well in anatomy in undergrad and the info was overwhelming sometimes, but a majority of the blame goes to my study habits. Although it is a very tough course. I will say it is a good class to transition you to the work ethic grad school requires of you. And it does get your focus as there are only 2 classes in the summer (anatomy and an intro OT course) which is nice compared to taking it in the fall with a mix of other classes.

How was the interview portion? That’s what I’m nervous about the most. What kind of questions did they ask you?

I enjoyed the interviews! Most schools I applied to didn’t do interviews, but I think it’s a great way to see the campus and feel the vibe, meet the faculty, and really see if it’s a good fit for you personally. I was super nervous going into the interviews but they‘ll e-mail you some prompt questions beforehand about stuff they’ll ask about. It’s usually a combination of leadership, service, and OT related stuff. Nothing too outside the ordinary. The interviews were one-on-one last year with 4 different faculty. I enjoyed this way more than group interviews like some schools do. This gave you the chance to stand out and highlight your strengths. For the interview I would also say to focus on just making it a conversation rather than some rehearsed “why I chose OT” answer. There’s a balance between a natural flow and also being prepared. Lastly I would make sure to have some unique things about you in the back of mind or written down as many of my interviews had a couple extra minutes that I wanted to fill and not just say “I have no more questions.” Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email from OSU on Friday (11/9) offering me an interview!

That’s exciting! Congrats!!
I got an email from OSU on Friday (11/9) offering me an interview!
Congrats! Did you apply for the fellowship? They sent me an email telling me I qualified for the Fellowship and invited me to apply for that. I did- it was due November 1st. Have not heard anything back though! When is the first round of interviews? I have been invited to interview at Indiana and University of St Augustine in Austin. I still have a few more to apply to but OSU is my first choice. I will keep my fingers crossed for you to do well at your interview.

Congrats! Did you apply for the fellowship? They sent me an email telling me I qualified for the Fellowship and invited me to apply for that. I did- it was due November 1st. Have not heard anything back though! When is the first round of interviews? I have been invited to interview at Indiana and University of St Augustine in Austin. I still have a few more to apply to but OSU is my first choice. I will keep my fingers crossed for you to do well at your interview.

Thank you!! I didn't apply for the fellowship – GPA wasn't quite high enough – but that's awesome that they invited you to do so! I feel like that's a good sign. I believe their first interview day is Dec. 7th (at least that's the day I got invited for, and I haven't heard anyone say they have an earlier one) but I hope you get an interview offer as well! And good luck at your other two :)

Thank you!! I didn't apply for the fellowship – GPA wasn't quite high enough – but that's awesome that they invited you to do so! I feel like that's a good sign. I believe their first interview day is Dec. 7th (at least that's the day I got invited for, and I haven't heard anyone say they have an earlier one) but I hope you get an interview offer as well! And good luck at your other two :)
Congrats!! What's your stats if you don't mind sharing?

Congrats!! What's your stats if you don't mind sharing?

Cum GPA: 3.25

Prereq GPA: 3.5 – 4.0, depending on the school

GRE: Q 150, V 156, W 5.0

Extracurricular: Camp Kesem (+ 2 years of exec leadership positions), sorority (+minor leadership positions within), service/citizenship fraternity at my school, dance marathon at my school (raises money for our local CMNH hospital), Autism Speaks (president for 2 semesters)

Volunteer: ~156 hours volunteering at Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, 2 semesters of tutoring adults working towards getting their GEDs, 2 years of being a counselor for a summer camp (Camp Kesem) for children whose parents have cancer

Observation Hours: 145 (school/autism), 25 (adult/rehab), 10 (peds/outpatient)

Research: have assisted in 3 labs within the past 3 years (1 psych-related, just for a semester; 1 working with spinal cord injury patients for this past summer; 1 working with neurodevelopment disabilities for ~ 1.5 years now)

Work: did a practicum-type experience at a school for children with autism last year for a semester; have worked at my school’s medical library for the past 2.5 years

Other experiences: attended SOTI, a month-long OT immersion experience at USC

Would you mind sharing what your stats were? :)

Has anyone else heard back from OSU yet? I was told that I was eligible for a fellowship and I applied for that by November 1st, but still haven't received any information about whether I'm being invited for an interview or not. The nerves are starting to kick in now that I know others have already heard from them :nailbiting:

Has anyone else heard back from OSU yet? I was told that I was eligible for a fellowship and I applied for that by November 1st, but still haven't received any information about whether I'm being invited for an interview or not. The nerves are starting to kick in now that I know others have already heard from them :nailbiting:
I have not heard back yet either! Hopefully we hear back by the end of the week!

I just received my interview offer today! It seems like they're sending sporadically throughout the week. I also applied for the fellowship, so we are required to interview on the first day, which is December 7th!

I just received my interview offer today! It seems like they're sending sporadically throughout the week. I also applied for the fellowship, so we are required to interview on the first day, which is December 7th!
I received my interview offer today as well and also applied for the fellowship, so I will be there on December 7th!

I do not have a buckeyelink ID/Password. I applied through OCTAS - should I have that info? Very disappointed I have not heard anything. I have a great GPA from a great school, good GRE numbers, volunteer hours - not sure what else I could have submitted. I submitted the Fellowship app but still have not heard. Am I anxious for nothing or should I have heard by now? TIA

I do not have a buckeyelink ID/Password. I applied through OCTAS - should I have that info? Very disappointed I have not heard anything. I have a great GPA from a great school, good GRE numbers, volunteer hours - not sure what else I could have submitted. I submitted the Fellowship app but still have not heard. Am I anxious for nothing or should I have heard by now? TIA
I received an email to set up a buckeyelink ID/password after I submitted the supplemental application instructing me to activate my OSU username.

For those of you who have received an interview invitation, has your application status on BuckeyeLink changed from 'Pending' to anything else?

For those who are applying/have applied for the fellowship, did you have your reviewers send in all the materials to the email address? Or did you compile everything and send it in one big email yourself?

For those who are applying/have applied for the fellowship, did you have your reviewers send in all the materials to the email address? Or did you compile everything and send it in one big email yourself?
I submitted the personal statement/essay myself and gave them the names of my reviewers. But I had the reviewers send in their recommendations themselves. I just made sure to confirm that all my materials for the application was received by the school.

were you all contacted through buckeyelink or via email?
OMG- you saved my life! Because you mentioned Buckeyelink and I knew nothing about it- I started digging around and found out that my supplemental never went to them. I hit the save button instead of the send button on the last page of the supplemental. I could not figure out why I had not heard a thing from them- I thought I would at least get an interview after being invited to apply for the Fellowship. Well after a lot of emails and calls they accepted my supplemental and are processing my application. I never would have known if you did not ask this question. THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

Has anyone heard from previous applicants about potential interview questions, or how long the interview is?

I just got an interview invite for January 18th!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard from previous applicants about potential interview questions, or how long the interview is?

The only thing I've heard is what the one current student said above on this thread! Also, I know they mentioned that they'll email us with some more detailed information about a week before the interview

I got an interview also for January 18th- I have 2 interviews before then so hopefully I will know what to expect!

Hi! Yes, I do have a response up the forum a little bit but I would be happy to answer other questions as best I can! That response covers the interviews pretty well. They will e-mail you a little before with some specific topics to consider when you’re preparing. The interview will also include a tour from current students only where you can ask them any questions you may have!

Just to update everyone, I contacted OSU and they have already reached out to people for all of their interview spots.

To be honest, I’m feeling extremely disappointed and a little confused. I live in Ohio and have been preparing to apply to OSU for graduate school since I was a freshman in college. I felt that I had a very competitive application and am not really understanding where I went wrong. I know that the program is competitive but I thought I was at least a strong enough applicant to be offered an interview. I’m really just not sure anymore as to what they were looking for :(

Did anyone who qualified for the fellowship not get an interview?

Did anyone who qualified for the fellowship not get an interview?
I qualified for the fellowship and did not get an interview offer. I also will be graduating with my Masters degree in two weeks and have a 4.0. Over 1300 observation hours amongst different settings. I don’t know what OSU was looking for specifically, but it wasn’t me. I’m okay with that. On to Plan B :)

I qualified for the fellowship and did not get an interview offer. I also will be graduating with my Masters degree in two weeks and have a 4.0. Over 1300 observation hours amongst different settings. I don’t know what OSU was looking for specifically, but it wasn’t me. I’m okay with that. On to Plan B :)
I also qualified for it, I have the same GPA, over 900 hours in 4 different settings, and I conducted a thesis. I am very confused with their process

I qualified for the fellowship and don’t get an interview either! My GPA was 3.8, my gre was pretty competitive, ive done a lot of research and volunteering. I also go to OSU for undergrad. I really want to know how the process works as well. Did you guys apply anywhere else in Ohio and if so have you heard back from them? I applied to Kettering, Toledo, and Shawnee but have only heard back from Kettering.

I qualified for the fellowship and don’t get an interview either! My GPA was 3.8, my gre was pretty competitive, ive done a lot of research and volunteering. I also go to OSU for undergrad. I really want to know how the process works as well. Did you guys apply anywhere else in Ohio and if so have you heard back from them? I applied to Kettering, Toledo, and Shawnee but have only heard back from Kettering.

When did you apply for Toledo? I applied last week and my application status is "complete awaiting decision". I was going to apply for Shawnee by their prerequisites are so specific I can't match them. For Kettering, it says the deadline is Nov 30th and I was planning to apply this week, but I don't have 5 letters of recommendation. Most programs have required 3 so I only have 3 in OTCAS. Did you apply with 5?

I'm in the same boat as those above in terms of GPA, GRE, observation hours, etc. If I don't get into a program this cycle, I don't even know how I could improve my application to OSU without knowing what it is they are looking for.

When did you apply for Toledo? I applied last week and my application status is "complete awaiting decision". I was going to apply for Shawnee by their prerequisites are so specific I can't match them. For Kettering, it says the deadline is Nov 30th and I was planning to apply this week, but I don't have 5 letters of recommendation. Most programs have required 3 so I only have 3 in OTCAS. Did you apply with 5?

I'm in the same boat as those above in terms of GPA, GRE, observation hours, etc. If I don't get into a program this cycle, I don't even know how I could improve my application to OSU without knowing what it is they are looking for.
I did not apply to any other Ohio schools, so far I’ve hear back from 2. I got an interview at MGH and Boston and I am waitlisted at Tufts.

I applied to Toledo in the beginning of October and it still says “complete awaiting decision”, and then I applied to Kettering in October as well and have an interview for January 23. And yes I did have 5 references!

Has anyone heard back from Ohio State? At the December 7th interview they said we may hear back as early as this week!