Ohio State University College of Medicine Class of 2016!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corhof

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I didn't see a class of 2016 thread yet, so I thought I would create one for you. Congrats on your acceptance. Columbus is a great place to live and Ohio State is an outstanding medical school. I graduated from Ohio State COM in 2008 and would be happy to answer any questions you may have and give advice about places to live. Once this gets established, maybe someone can make a Facebook group as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there!

I was recently admitted to OSU med school. Do you have any advice about safe/good places to live? Where do students usually find apartments to live in, and where are most of our classes held? How do students get around? Will I need a car?

Thanks =)

Congrats on your acceptance! It's a great place to go to school.

All classes are held in Meiling Hall adjacent to the main hospital.

There are lots of great places to live. If you want to be walking distance, check out Victorian Village. It's away from the undergrad chaos and close enough to walk. Other nearby neighborhoods within biking distance are Upper Arlington, Grandview and Short North. All are great places to live. I would avoid anything near the undergrad side of campus (basically anything east of campus). I would strongly consider filling out the survey that OSU sends to match you up with potential roommates. It worked great for most people that did it in my class.

Columbus isn't a great car free town. I would strongly recommend a car. That being said, it is very biker friendly and will get you most places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info!

Another question: I'm thinking of flying into the neighborhood to check out apartments, and would stay at a hotel for a day or two in that time. Are there any cheap/cheaper places I can stay instead of a hotel? I think I heard from somewhere that the school or some organization could help me find a place just to sleep for the night at a lower cost, but I didn't find any concrete info.

Get in touch with the admissions department. They usually have a list of current students willing to put you up for a night while you're in town.

Current student here and I went there for undergrad.

The other OSUCOM person gave some solid advice about housing. I found my roommate via the facebook group and that worked out great. Tons of people met roommates at second look, dunno if you went or not.

As for places to live, there are many houses near campus students live in. A good place to look is down neil and down king avenue. I would not live east of high street, it is a very, very sketch place. Some people live in the south campus gateway apartments, but they are expensive. Don't look at central campus, that's near the frats and is very undergrad-ish.

There are a few communities you can live in, some are close, some are farther away. The farther away ones tend to be cheaper.

Close: Meridian. Many classmates will live here, small apartments for the huge price, IMO. Easy to bike in.(http://www.themeridian-apts.com/)

Further away: Runaway bay. These are near hilliard, middle ground price for decent sized places. (http://www.therunawaybayapartments.com/)

Governor's Square. (http://www.govsq.com/)

University village (http://www.universityvillage.com/)

I would get a car. You will likely use it for learning community dinners and also you will more than likely need it for rotations third year. I know almost no one who doesn't own a car, but a few people have made it work.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info!

Another question: I'm thinking of flying into the neighborhood to check out apartments, and would stay at a hotel for a day or two in that time. Are there any cheap/cheaper places I can stay instead of a hotel? I think I heard from somewhere that the school or some organization could help me find a place just to sleep for the night at a lower cost, but I didn't find any concrete info.

Hey! I'm an incoming M1 as well, and I recommend looking at the Med I Atlas accessible on their website. It sets forth the surroudning neighborhoods and endorses several apartment complexes.

I was in Columbus a few weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised. I signed a lease for a studio apartment at the Hertigate Apartments, which are located ~2 miles from the medical center in the Grandview neighborhood. I checked out the Meridian Apartments but they seemed way overpriced to me.

I would definitely recommend getting a car for groceries and basic errands.