1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Ohio State University

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by Jeeves, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Jeeves

Jeeves Member
    7+ Year Member

Has anyone heard about the Ohio State University Program.

I have heard good things about the new dean of the medical school Fred Sanfilippo who was also Chairman of Pathology at Hopkins. I also heard that they have great teaching in both AP/CP as well as top rate facilities. They also have good fellowships including derm. If anyone knows anyone there or has interviewed there, please let me know your opinion.

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctor B.

Doctor B. Slappin' That Glass
    7+ Year Member

I applied but did not interview there. Two years ago, when I was interviewing, I had heard there was an issue with getting a new director and things weren't very stable. That was word of mouth, though, and so I'm not sure how much truth there is to that. I went to the Surgical Pathology Update Course in Columbus last year put on by OSU Path and it was very good. Saul Suster is a fairly big name pathologist there and he did some good lectures along with some of the other OSU faculty.

4. Jeeves

Jeeves Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank you BCMD.
    Congrats on getting married.

5. Doctor B.

Doctor B. Slappin' That Glass
    7+ Year Member

Thanks Jeeves!

6. edamame

edamame Member
    7+ Year Member

CP teaching is quite good. On the AP side the extremely high specimen number often precludes good teaching. The gross room is in desperate need of renovation, but the facilities may be improved some time in late 2004 or 2005. The AP attendings are under a lot of stress, and Dr. Suster's general attitude is that residents are annoying and not necessary. The program has potential mainly because of the high number of cases, but the teaching philosophy can be discouraging. On a more positive note, Dr. Frankel (residency program director) is a good advocate for the residents and gradual changes have been made. The program is in the process of hiring a new department chair, so stay tuned for more changes. There is virtually no contact with Dr. Sanfilippo whose main effect on the medical center has been to encourage and attract more research money.

7. yaah

yaah Boring
    Administrator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A lot of this is depressing, but not necessarily unique. I frankly will never understand why people go into academic medicine who either have the attitude that 1) residents are annoying, as you said; or 2) teaching is not a priority.

There are innumerable private practice jobs out there. If you go into academic medicine or work at an academic center, you should have some interest in teaching. This is PARTICULARLY true if you are in a position of authority or a position to alter the curriculum. It really burns my chaps to read that attitudes like this are out there, particularly because there are a lot of good teachers out there who probably have a hard time finding a job at an academic center, willing to give up salary so that they can teach residents and students. And they can't find jobs because the big egos refuse to teach and have to have an academic position to justify their lives. Now I know some of this involves research, you need to be in an academic center, often, to be able to do significant research. But if you do, and hate teaching or residents, then stay away from high profile positions. Run your lab and don't bother anyone.

Weren't these people ever residents themselves?

By the way, whenever you say Ohio State, you have to put a "THE" in front of it, kind of like THE mass general. It's THE Ohio State University.

8. edamame

edamame Member
    7+ Year Member

check your messages - I PM'ed you.

9. edamame

edamame Member
    7+ Year Member

Sorry I meant to address Jeeves about the PM - guess my reply was bumped by the ever prolific (and entertaining) Yaah.