Ohio State vs. Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirrawilly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help. Looking for all the advice I can get on this decision. Both schools cost the same and have very similar curricula and rankings. Really its deciding on going with a school I am more comfortable vs. a school where I feel like there may be more opportunities. Right now (and yes I know I am likely to change my mind, but I have shadowed and this is what I like for now) I really like dermatology and am well aware of its competitiveness. I have liked other specialities that I shadowed as well, so I will keep an open mind.

Cincinnati:
Pros:
-this is my SMP school, so I have already done the first year curriculum and know I can succeed
-friends and family here, so will have a built in support system
-feel like administration and school is very welcoming and supportive
-school absolutely kills it on step 1, avg was 241

Cons:
-derm program is small and does not have a lot of research going on according to current student
-most students that do match into derm from cincy end up doing a research year, which I would like to avoid if I can as I am a non-traditional student already
-did not seem to "click" with any students during second look quite like I did at ohio state

Ohio State:
Pros:
- facilities are insane, brand new cancer hospital and specialty hospitals all over (you can tell they are pouring money into this place)
-tons of research opportunities, they have a research fair early on M1 year to pair you up with mentors and derm research is listed and available
-I did seem to get a long a little better with students on second look
-pay for total costs of global health electives in 4th year

Cons:
-curriculum and teaching will be new to me
-new city/new people - will have to "start over"
-did slightly worse than cincy on step 1, but still very good avg. I think it was 236?

I am so torn by this decision! I know you can't predict a future specialty, but want to set myself up for the best chance of success in the future and am trying to figure out if that means going where I am comfortable or going where I will have more opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

If you like Cincy, I would stay there. Having a support system is nice, and the familiarity of the school area could probably help you get a head start on research/derm stuff first year. This would be a big leg up for matching.

The most “concrete” basis way to make your decision is your experience at UC. Do you wanna stay there, or do you wanna leave?

Congrats! Tough call. Do you want to "start over" at a new place (OSU), or stay where you are used to everything (cincy)? I would go OSU, partly because research opportunities are probably greater

If you like Cincy, I would stay there. Having a support system is nice, and the familiarity of the school area could probably help you get a head start on research/derm stuff first year. This would be a big leg up for matching.

The most “concrete” basis way to make your decision is your experience at UC. Do you wanna stay there, or do you wanna leave?

Congrats! Tough call. Do you want to "start over" at a new place (OSU), or stay where you are used to everything (cincy)? I would go OSU, partly because research opportunities are probably greater

You guys have pretty much epitomized my dilemma. I like Cincy and would ultimately prefer to stay here because of my support system and familiarity with the curriculum (which I know would be a huge advantage). Ultimately though, I would be willing to give that up if Ohio State would provide opportunities (ie research) that would give me a significantly better chance at matching down the line. I just don’t know which is better.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys have pretty much epitomized my dilemma. I like Cincy and would ultimately prefer to stay here because of my support system and familiarity with the curriculum (which I know would be a huge advantage). Ultimately though, I would be willing to give that up if Ohio State would provide opportunities (ie research) that would give me a significantly better chance at matching down the line. I just don’t know which is better.
I am from Ohio, interviewed at both, have friends attending both, and I think they are generally regarded as equal. OSU wont give you a big leg up, even for derm. Cincy still has a derm residency right? That should provide all the opportunity you need.

If you like Cincy better, I would definitely go there. Theres no meaningful seperation reputation-wise.

I am from Ohio, interviewed at both, have friends attending both, and I think they are generally regarded as equal. OSU wont give you a big leg up, even for derm. Cincy still has a derm residency right? That should provide all the opportunity you need.

If you like Cincy better, I would definitely go there. Theres no meaningful seperation reputation-wise.

I’m not worried about reputation really, more worried about research opportunities - I’ve heard from students they are pretty scarce in Derm at Cincy and plentiful at Ohio state. Apparently something like 8/10 students who have gone into Derm from Cincy in recent years have done research years - this is something I would like to avoid if possible.

Disclaimer: am UC student, am biased.

Already knowing the curriculum at UC is a HUGE advantage and can allow you to have more time/energy for pursuing other resume-building activities.

Plus, as you've said, you haven't 100% decided on derm. What if you change your mind? I think the *possibility* of better derm research opportunities is too narrow to really make this decision. It is still very possible to get into derm research at UC.

Reactions: 1 user
Disclaimer: am UC student, am biased.

Already knowing the curriculum at UC is a HUGE advantage and can allow you to have more time/energy for pursuing other resume-building activities.

Plus, as you've said, you haven't 100% decided on derm. What if you change your mind? I think the *possibility* of better derm research opportunities is too narrow to really make this decision. It is still very possible to get into derm research at UC.

Thanks for the response! And for basically confirming the decision I have made over the last couple of days... (do you by any chance know of anyone doing derm research during M1 and M2? I’ve asked around and haven’t heard anything)

Just waiting on OSU’s financial aid package. That could throw a wrench in this decision.

Thanks for the response! And for basically confirming the decision I have made over the last couple of days... (do you by any chance know of anyone doing derm research during M1 and M2? I’ve asked around and haven’t heard anything)

Just waiting on OSU’s financial aid package. That could throw a wrench in this decision.

Yes, I know a UC M2 who is a first author on a derm publication. However, they did their research somewhere else (which is also always an option)

Reactions: 1 user