Ohio State vs Tufts (half tuition) HELP PLS :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oneheadmanyhats

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the prestige difference between these schools is virtually non-existent. Ohio State may be ranked higher, but choosing to go to Tufts over OSU will literally close zero doors for you. I don't know how these two schools compare in research funding, but I'm very sure that Tufts is filled with research opportunities for medical students.

You mentioned that OSU has a diverse student body and faculty which you like. Columbus is a relatively diverse city considering its position in the United States in central Ohio. However, Boston is a much more diverse city which will lead to more diverse patient interactions. So while the class may be somewhat less diverse at Tufts, your experiences with patients will be extremely diverse.

Overall, both schools are great and it's impossible to make a wrong decision. If I was making the choice, I'd probably go with Tufts just because Boston is a vibrant city that is more comparable to my home of New York while Columbus is a sprawling city with a college-town atmosphere.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I looked at the past years’ match lists too
Got it, that should have been obvious...

Honestly it's a hard decision. I don't think either one will give you an advantage to matching in the southeast or into dermatology, so you should decide based on how you want to spend the next four years. I do think that Boston's a better place to live (I currently live in Boston and it is really nice), but having a roommate kinda sucks. I'm not sure if there are any other lifestyle differences between the two schools (thinking mandatory attendance, distance to drive to rotations/get to school if you have to rent further away) but it sounds like since everything else is about equal, in what environment do you want to spend the next four years?

Not sure how helpful this is, good luck making your decision :)

Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion, the prestige difference between these schools is virtually non-existent. Ohio State may be ranked higher, but choosing to go to Tufts over OSU will literally close zero doors for you. I don't know how these two schools compare in research funding, but I'm very sure that Tufts is filled with research opportunities for medical students.

You mentioned that OSU has a diverse student body and faculty which you like. Columbus is a relatively diverse city considering its position in the United States in central Ohio. However, Boston is a much more diverse city which will lead to more diverse patient interactions. So while the class may be somewhat less diverse at Tufts, your experiences with patients will be extremely diverse.

Overall, both schools are great and it's impossible to make a wrong decision. If I was making the choice, I'd probably go with Tufts just because Boston is a vibrant city that is more comparable to my home of New York while Columbus is a sprawling city with a college-town atmosphere.
Thank you for this perspective. It has definitely inspired my decision. Boston does seem like an exciting place to be!

Got it, that should have been obvious...

Honestly it's a hard decision. I don't think either one will give you an advantage to matching in the southeast or into dermatology, so you should decide based on how you want to spend the next four years. I do think that Boston's a better place to live (I currently live in Boston and it is really nice), but having a roommate kinda sucks. I'm not sure if there are any other lifestyle differences between the two schools (thinking mandatory attendance, distance to drive to rotations/get to school if you have to rent further away) but it sounds like since everything else is about equal, in what environment do you want to spend the next four years?

Not sure how helpful this is, good luck making your decision :)
Lol no worries & yes this was helpful, thank you! :)

And I’ve never lived in the north before so moving to Boston would def be a new experience for me lol. It seems like a really vibrant city with many opportunities, which is something I value. How long have you been in Boston?

OSU. As for the location, it doesn't matter if there are a lot of "things to do." You won't be exploring much of either city after your first year anyways. And if you're trying to rank at the top of your class, you might as well just stake out a spot in a few coffee shops around campus.

Columbus is inexpensive, diverse, and geographically central to a lot of other cities on the map. More importantly, the free clinic is down the street from the med school, do you can potentially bus or bike to the free clinic if that's your thing.

Boston is congested and expensive. I don't get to enjoy much of Columbus because of med school, but I'm so glad I chose Columbus.