Ohio State vs. UC Irvine (WL) vs. Dartmouth (WL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yungdoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I am currently sitting on one acceptance that I am thrilled about, but I wanted your input in case I have more options come May. I want to state that I unfortunately felt VERY similar about all three programs after I interviewed. I loved them all and could honestly see myself being happy at any one of them. If anything, Dartmouth had a slight edge over the other two because the location is absolutely beautiful. However, it seems like I would need to send a letter of intent before getting off their waitlist and I'm not sure yet if that's where I ultimately want to go. For more context, I am from SoCal and am interested in OBGYN (and possibly trauma surgery).

Ohio State

PROS:
- really nice facilities (everything seemed pretty well-funded)
- super diverse patient population
- would be a cool experience moving across the country
- highest rank

CONS:
- would be moving away from my family (not a deal breaker, but still, I love my family)
- would have to adjust to different culture/weather

UC Irvine (waitlisted)

PROS:
- would be an hour away from my family and friends
- would not have to adjust my lifestyle at all
- it seems like most grads match locally and there are several great schools nearby (including UCI)
- can still surf/snowboard

CONS:

- I might regret not having gone away for school or the thought that I passed up going to a "higher ranked" school.
- facilities didn't seem as nice, but the city is beautiful.

Dartmouth (waitlisted)
- by far the most beautiful campus/setting. Honestly one of the most beautiful locations I've ever visited and will certainly be applying here for residency.
- solid match list
- I just felt REALLY good on my interview day, like I "belonged" there. It's difficult to explain. Maybe it was just all the green trees tho (I'm from SoCal).

CONS:
-100K more expensive than the other two options
- would be moving as far away as possible from my family and friends
- not nearly as diverse a patient population as the other two options

Also, is there a significant difference in rank between 34, 44, and 50?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Whats is the cost difference between UCI and Ohio State? I would rule out Dartmouth just due to the extra 100k in cost.

Eliminate Dartmouth because it is drastically more expensive. It sounds like you'd like to end up in SoCal as you put a pro for UCI that many folks match locally. Staying in the area for med school would likely give you a good shot of matching there for residency. I think you'd also be happier if you can maintain a lot of the hobbies you enjoy now (e.g. surfing) and are close to your support system. I'd try to get off the WL at UCI, and if I didn't, then I'd go to OSU.