Ohio State!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schooler

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i went on their website today and feel in love with the campus and from what other have said on this website, i feel in love with alot more. campus means alot to me because i want to enjoy the setting of my future home...

i know their averages are pretty high, but what are my chances?? ive the gpa, but what about mcats? should i bother applying with less than a 30? are high 20s good enough?

thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, well I got in this year with a 30 on the MCAT (8PS, 11 BS and VR) and I was actually shocked. My GPA was a 3.74, which is pretty close to their average. I think I am proof that they look at more than just numbers- I was fully expecting to be waitlisted when I went to the website, and I was so excited to get in. I would definitely give it a shot with a upper 20s MCAT- just work really hard on your secondary essays to let them know how much you like the school. Maybe I'll see you in Columbus in a couple years!

I was actually accepted to The Ohio State with a 25 MCAT, so it can be done. Like you, I fell in love with the campus as well based on the website, but when my wife and I visited Columbus for the interview we were quick to decide to go elsewhere. I opted for a much smaller medical school in a nicer surrounding. That is not to say, however, that Ohio State is a bad medical school. It is really quite good, well rounded, and technologically superior to some others.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, OSU's a great school, and Columbus is a fantastic location. It beats out just about every other Midwestern city-in fact, Columbus is the ONLY city in the Midwest that's actually growing. It's just big enough to offer a lot of choices, but small enough that you can live anywhere and commute anywhere in 30 minutes or less. It's also a very clean, open city (especially compared with neighbors Cleveland and Cincinnati). OSU is also very friendly to out-of-state students, and all students are considered in-state by second year.

If you really want to go to OSU, apply with any MCAT. The class size at 210 is nearly double most other schools, meaning that they can easily slip in a few with sub-standard numbers without moving their averages. And, when they actually make the admissions decision, they don't use your GPA or MCAT... they have a complicated formula to calculate a predicted Step 1 score that's been developed based on previous OSU students. I don't know what they look at or how they weight anything, but they claim that it's very accurate. (Most people agree that it's impossible to predict Board scores based on premedical data, but if the medical school, curriculum, etc are constant, then it becomes easier). Thus, your predicted Step 1, rather than MCAT or GPA, is how they will compare you with other students.
Good luck!

note: it is common knowledge that your MCAT Verbal score is the best single predictor of Step 1 score, so it's probably safe to assume that OSU gives it a relatively high importance.

Most people who I know well enough in my class to know their MCAT score had right around the average for our class (actually...exactly the average...all 4 of us had 33). However there are certainly a number of people with scores below 30, including my girlfriend who will be a Med 1 next year (29).

I think they really do look at the whole package....as I would expect from our admissions director Dr. Batisky... a very personable gentleman who learned and continues to remember my (and most of my classmates) names from my interview onward.

Its a good school, we complain about stuff, just like i'm sure they do at most schools, but the administration has really made an effort to listen to student feedback to develop a strong program that meets our needs.

hey guys, thanks for you input!

kris, you got in with a 25? good for you! can u let us know the break down? and what year did you apply, and with what ECs??? sorry, i may sound a bit nosey and annoying, but i really want to know my options when applying to med school, and all your advice is very helpful...

t33....i like that they dont only take numbers into consideration, however, my verbal was my lowest section on the mcat. i am retaking the exam in august, so i hoping to do better on the verbal this time around...

so, for all of you at OSU can u give me a run down on the life as a med student there? is the campus as nice at is seems, is the city clean/safe? how are the students(super competetive, bunch of gunners, etc?)

also,im from the midwest, does that give me any extra points??haha.

okay, thanks again...