Ohio students - please help with an impulse decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CountThePetals

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Helllloooo. I'm not really certain where to start this. I've been lurking here for a while but I haven't ever worked up the nerve to post (I'm very shy).

So I have had a rather drastic change in the outlook of my life this weekend. Currently I am a student at University of Cincinnati and I work at Banfield as a PetNurse. Yes, I know some Banfields are terrible, but mine is one of the few ones with fantastic and pleasant doctors. I love it there. While pretending to be a vet tech, I have been leisurely taking classes to eventually get into clinical year to be a real vet tech.

This weekend was the Midwest Veterinary Conference that took place in the Columbus convention center. It was fantastic. I loved walking around and going to all the classes (although one of them scared me to death about Bartonella). All of the amazing stuff at the convention compounded with the awesomeness that is Columbus pushed me to one decision: I needed to attend OSU to start me down the path of eventual vet med, and I needed to do it now.

Sooo. I guess there is a few things that I need help with. The first is that I have no idea what to do about housing. My husband's degree is online, and he will be able to work next year as a chem/physics teacher, so moving isn't really a big deal to him. However, I have four cats, three rats and a dog. Leaving them behind is not an option. My husband thinks we should try to buy a house or condo. Is there anything near campus that would work for us? I don't know what the good and bad parts of town are. Or would it be easy to hide animals from a landlord? I would ideally like to be within walking distance to school.

I am also unsure of what to do my undergrad in. The animal science that also allows you to also get a associates in vet tech seems very appealing. Is there any one program that will prepare me better? I know that we can have any undergrad as long as reqs are fulfilled.

Since I would be leaving my work (something that makes me very sad T.T) I would probably need another opportunity to get hours in elsewhere. Since I have a ton of private practice experience, I should probably focus on something else while in school. Are there any large animal or lab animal places that are easily accessed to do the required shadowing hours?

Any other tips or advice about OSU/Columbus would be awesome. Sorry if this is long! Thanks for your time. =)
 
Let's start with what I know most about, degree programs.

ANY degree program will do you just fine. Plenty of people get into vet school majoring in totally un-science-y majors (check successful applicant stats thread, there was someone who majored in French for instance that stuck out to me). What IS important is that you fulfill all necessary prerequisites for any school you're considering applying to. www.aavmc.org can be a big help when looking into this. So pick something that sounds fun and interesting to you 🙂 Just keep in mind the need to fulfill prerequisites.

Next dealio is concerning your hours. I would go ahead and try to get whatever hours you can--try to get some in your interests in vet med. If it's small animal, it's ok to go for more hours in that. However, I think branching out and at least exploring a little bit into LA/exotic/wildlife/other fields is very valuable as it broadens your horizons as to what's actually possible to do with a DVM. I think the most important thing is to not rest upon the hours you already have, and continue to accumulate them. Most people just call up around vet clinics and ask. Many shadowing positions are without pay, and often (due to liability, other issues) they may not let you have much actual interaction with patients, and it will be PURE shadowing. This is another good reason to explore vet med that you haven't gotten exposed to yet, as I think it might be stifling for you having worked with small animals so long to not be allowed to touch them in a clinical shadowing setting (at least, it would for me). Look in the phone book, look on line, buff up your resume, write a cover letter, and put yourself out there. The worst they can do is say, "we don't have a place" or "we don't allow students to shadow" and that will be that, and you'll move on to the next place.

Moving on to where to live. In UG, as long as you have transportation I'm not currently aware of any stipulations regarding OSU UGs having to live on campus--but I've never been an OSU UG so I'm just pulling that out of thin air. However, in vet school (if you do plan to go for OSU's CVM), in your 4th year you need to be, at max, 15 minutes away. If that's a long term plan, you'll need to make sure you look into that when looking for housing. There are lots of pet-friendly places around C-bus. Again, that's where you and google become lovely friends. Try www.metro-rentals.com if you're looking to simply rent a place. I was advised that when looking for places to live, try and steer WEST of I-71 in Columbus. Grandview, Victorian Village, Arena District (pricey), Dublin, and Upper Arlington were all recommended areas.
 
Last edited:
However, in vet school (if you do plan to go for OSU's CVM), in your 3rd and 4th year you need to be, at max, 15 minutes away.

L2vet, say more about this. Is that OSU specific, or a general truth for vet school??? That's the first I've heard anyone say that.

My vet school plans (UMN) are predicated upon an opportunity me and my family have for free housing (housing, utilities, etc., all taken care of). That's what allows me to get through vet school debt free with a stockpile of cash on the far end. But it's about 45 minutes from school.

It's not impossible for me to modify the plans such that I rent a small apartment near campus for just me.... but I was hoping to avoid that in order to maximize cash reserves after graduation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@LIS: That's what I've been told. I actually may have been mistaken for 3rd year, but I've been TOLD that 4th year you need to live 15 minutes or less from the vet school for clinical rotations.

Removing the 3rd year part from my post.

I am obviously not yet a student at OSU CVM. I am a much better source of UG advice, but I will offer what I'm told about vet school. Just take with a grain of salt =D /disclaimer.
 
L2vet, say more about this. Is that OSU specific, or a general truth for vet school??? That's the first I've heard anyone say that.

after 3rd yr, NCSU requires students to be 'through the door' 20min after paging when they are on call, if they live farther away they must make arrangements (hotel, friends, etc) i do not know how often we are on call
 
to the OP, I'd say slow down a bit. make sure this is what you want to do before you relocate.

Vet conferences are amazing, but don't represent vet work. I know you have seen vet work at Banfield, but don't know if you have any experience with it elsewhere. that might be a good place to start. also, you don't need to go to OSU for undergrad to get into vet school there, and you do need to know that this isn't a guaranteed path; do you like the core sciences enough to complete the pre-reqs with reasonably high grades? Do you currently have any of the pre-reqs?

I'm not trying to dampen your spirits, just make sure you don't rush into anything that impacts your life in drastic ways without being aware of the challenges, becaues it is an expensive, time consuming path. Getting hired, even as a teacher, can be challenging right now in some areas. Also, do not hide animals, if you are caught it can be auto-loss of home or animals (if you can't get immediate housing/pay for boarding) or both and in some places can include fines.
 
Went through browsing history (have been doing a lot of apartment searching, lol):
www.rent.com
www.everyaptmapped.com
www.apartmentratings.com (at the bottom of each rating it shows apartments in the near vicinity of that complex)
www.forrrent.com

Other than that, if you're interested in specific complexes, I may be able to give you some direction in PM.

I did miss the part of your post that said you want to be within walking distance of the vet school. There aren't a ton of grad-friendly places that close, a lot are heavy UG places, but again I can suggest a couple of apartment places in PM. As for your question about animals, I've been told that many many landlords will work with you if you tell them you're a vet student. I think most of their main concerns are that 1) you take care of your animals (vet student is a pretty safe bet for this), 2) you don't ruin the carpeting in their place, and 3) the animals are acceptable neighbors. Having 3 pocket pets and 4 cats will work in your favor (it's not like you have 5 St. Bernards you have to find housing for, lol). I think your husband may be right, though, that purchasing may be a better bet for you. Just make sure you look into an association rules about animals if it's a condo. 🙂
 
Well maybe they'll give the OP some credit if s/he's planning to be one! Worse case? They say no. Try it on a place you're not particularly interested in first 😉
 
to the OP, I'd say slow down a bit. make sure this is what you want to do before you relocate.

Vet conferences are amazing, but don't represent vet work. I know you have seen vet work at Banfield, but don't know if you have any experience with it elsewhere. that might be a good place to start. also, you don't need to go to OSU for undergrad to get into vet school there, and you do need to know that this isn't a guaranteed path; do you like the core sciences enough to complete the pre-reqs with reasonably high grades? Do you currently have any of the pre-reqs?

I'm not trying to dampen your spirits, just make sure you don't rush into anything that impacts your life in drastic ways without being aware of the challenges, becaues it is an expensive, time consuming path. Getting hired, even as a teacher, can be challenging right now in some areas. Also, do not hide animals, if you are caught it can be auto-loss of home or animals (if you can't get immediate housing/pay for boarding) or both and in some places can include fines.

👍
 
I go to UC, are you on main campus or taking classes at RWC? I will be starting vet school at OSU next year. If you need info on anything let me know, we can meet up
 
Helllloooo. I'm not really certain where to start this. I've been lurking here for a while but I haven't ever worked up the nerve to post (I'm very shy).

So I have had a rather drastic change in the outlook of my life this weekend. Currently I am a student at University of Cincinnati and I work at Banfield as a PetNurse. Yes, I know some Banfields are terrible, but mine is one of the few ones with fantastic and pleasant doctors. I love it there. While pretending to be a vet tech, I have been leisurely taking classes to eventually get into clinical year to be a real vet tech.

This weekend was the Midwest Veterinary Conference that took place in the Columbus convention center. It was fantastic. I loved walking around and going to all the classes (although one of them scared me to death about Bartonella). All of the amazing stuff at the convention compounded with the awesomeness that is Columbus pushed me to one decision: I needed to attend OSU to start me down the path of eventual vet med, and I needed to do it now.

Sooo. I guess there is a few things that I need help with. The first is that I have no idea what to do about housing. My husband's degree is online, and he will be able to work next year as a chem/physics teacher, so moving isn't really a big deal to him. However, I have four cats, three rats and a dog. Leaving them behind is not an option. My husband thinks we should try to buy a house or condo. Is there anything near campus that would work for us? I don't know what the good and bad parts of town are. Or would it be easy to hide animals from a landlord? I would ideally like to be within walking distance to school.

I am also unsure of what to do my undergrad in. The animal science that also allows you to also get a associates in vet tech seems very appealing. Is there any one program that will prepare me better? I know that we can have any undergrad as long as reqs are fulfilled.

Since I would be leaving my work (something that makes me very sad T.T) I would probably need another opportunity to get hours in elsewhere. Since I have a ton of private practice experience, I should probably focus on something else while in school. Are there any large animal or lab animal places that are easily accessed to do the required shadowing hours?

Any other tips or advice about OSU/Columbus would be awesome. Sorry if this is long! Thanks for your time. =)

I am currently an Animal Science at Ohio State and will be entering OSU's vet school in the fall. If you have any specific questions about the program itself just PM me or post here. I have a lot of homework tonight so I can't go into much detail now but will have more time later.
 
I'm sure the OP didn't mean it the way it sounds, but "impulse decision" and vet school do not go together...
 
As for shadowing at large animal clinics, like 12vet said, you probably wont get paid, but if youre still interested there are lots of places in Columbus!
Try starting from...

Wildlife: Ohio Wildlife Center (http://www.ohiowildlifecenter.org/) I dont know how it is now, but when I volunteered you had to attend two 5 hour training sessions. But if youre there for a while you do get to do a lot of cool stuff! Raccoons, raptors, turtles, waterfowl...babies in the spring!

Zoo: Columbus Zoo now offers summer internships. When I did mine, it was in North America...lots of cleaning but definitely looks awesome on a resume and lots of fun! If youre around when the medical team comes through, you get to watch or maybe even help hold things 🙂

Large Animal: I shadowed at the Food and Fiber Hospital at OSU...great way to meet the large animal vets there if you want LORs...I wasnt there long enough to get one from one of them, but you can make contacts.
You can also shadow the Equine hospital there if you want equine experience. Theres also Woodland Run about 30 min away that does Equine exclusive. I also think theres a race track in Grove City if you want more Equine experience. Race track vet experience is awesome! Its a completely different equine world.
If you want large animal ambulatory (always good experience to get...I was told by an OSU vet to definitely get this one to see what its like to have to work like this..) contact Marysville Large Animal Ambulatory.

And if you want another small animal job, there are TONS of small animal hospitals around here. Trust me, I applied to all of them when I was trying to get a job haha.

From my experience, OSU is VERY open to undergrads shadowing at their hospital and all the vets were extremely nice and willing to teach me even though I was UG.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you everyone for your input and your honest replies. I love this forum!

Anyway, let me explain something real quick. The impulse was not trying to get into vet school. That was always the plan. I know that it is a hard, expensive road. My husband knew this when he married me and we had always wanted to move to Columbus eventually because the rest of Ohio sucks. Well, at least where we live.

The impulse decision was to move it up in my life's priority. Instead of it being a cloudy 'eventually' in the future, I suddenly realized that this is my life and this is what I have wanted to do forever, and if I could make it work I should go for it.

I don't go to RWC, I'm at main campus. I know that I can fulfill requirements anywhere, but I really really hate UC. I've had SO much trouble with the administration being unhelpful and unprofessional and I don't feel safe on the streets surrounding campus.

@ RatherBEventing, thank you so much for the list of places I can shadow. The Zoo one seems amazing!

@ L2Vet I have checked out all the websites you sent me and we're talking them over. Thank you for your help ^^

@EllieGirl89 are you doing the one w/the vet tech certification or are you only getting a 4y?
 
Thank you everyone for your input and your honest replies. I love this forum!

Anyway, let me explain something real quick. The impulse was not trying to get into vet school. That was always the plan. I know that it is a hard, expensive road. My husband knew this when he married me and we had always wanted to move to Columbus eventually because the rest of Ohio sucks. Well, at least where we live.

The impulse decision was to move it up in my life's priority. Instead of it being a cloudy 'eventually' in the future, I suddenly realized that this is my life and this is what I have wanted to do forever, and if I could make it work I should go for it.

I don't go to RWC, I'm at main campus. I know that I can fulfill requirements anywhere, but I really really hate UC. I've had SO much trouble with the administration being unhelpful and unprofessional and I don't feel safe on the streets surrounding campus.

@ RatherBEventing, thank you so much for the list of places I can shadow. The Zoo one seems amazing!

@ L2Vet I have checked out all the websites you sent me and we're talking them over. Thank you for your help ^^

@EllieGirl89 are you doing the one w/the vet tech certification or are you only getting a 4y?

First of all, don't go knocking the entirety of Ohio-there are those of us here who love this state 😉

And no, I'm not doing the one with the vet tech certification. Vet school was always the plan for me, so there was no need to do a vet tech certification. Also know that here at Ohio State, you can get the animal science/vet tech combined degree, but you won't be at Ohio State for the whole time. Two years of the degree are at Columbus State where they have a vet tech program. Just something to keep in mind.

I love it here. OSU is a great school and the animal science program is wonderful. Of course you don't have to go to Ohio State to get into vet school here, but the resources available are immense. There are undergraduate advisors who are members of the admissions committee. While they would not be allowed to interview you or whatever if they are your advisor, the insight they can provide is incredible. The pre-vet club here is fabulous, there are lots of places to gain experience, and the animal science program is wonderful, at least in my opinion. There are always things during/near admissions or interview times to help you out, such as talks from admissions at the vet school explaining what you need to do to maximize your application, mock interviews, interview workshops, etc.

Personally, transferring to Ohio State was the best thing I did. I love the program, I love Columbus, and I love the vet school. It's a personal decision and certainly feel free to ask me any more questions, but for me, it was a great decision.
 
.

I don't go to RWC, I'm at main campus. I know that I can fulfill requirements anywhere, but I really really hate UC. I've had SO much trouble with the administration being unhelpful and unprofessional and I don't feel safe on the streets surrounding campus.

Sorry to hear that.. I love UC, but I have had some problems with the administration.. I think it's a very "do-it-yourself-school" at least when applying to vet school, I didn't get any help from the pre-professional office ( they had NO clue about anything ).

Side note: are you in the bio program/working on pre-reqs right now?, if so which classes are you taking?