Ohsu '07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hkoser

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard from OHSU yet? I've gotten secondaries from most of the other schools I applied to but that's the only one I care about... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i was looking through last summer's posts. the earliest I saw some one receive was 8-14. it came via snail mail.

What hippies! Get with the times OHSU

Members don't see this ad :)
Hkoser said:
What hippies! Get with the times OHSU

Admissions at OHSU is slow. Get used to it! Sorry I don't have better news. I got my secondary at the end of August. Submitted on 9/6/05. Interview on 10/18/05. You will hear about your interview results about 12 weeks after your interview. At that point you will either be admitted, placed in the hold pool, or rejected. They have a numerical admission score cutoff for immediate admission below which you go into the hold pool (or rejected if they don't like you). The hold pool is not the waitlist. The waitlist is produced in the middle of may. If you end up in the hold pool, you won't know anything until the middle of May, which sucks, but that's the system at OHSU. Good luck!

OHSU is one that I am definitely waiting for...I LOVE the pacific NW...Im chillin in Seattle as we speak:)

I finally got mine- my roommate just called

DoubleU said:
I got a secondary via snail mail from OHSU about a week ago.

You are just cleaning up. Maybe you should let us lesser applicants take OHSU. :) Please ;)

Interview invite by snail mail 10/16. Finally! I'm so happy I think I've posted this in about 5 different threads ;)

I just had my interview at OHSU, it was awesome. I had no idea how beautiful Portland and its hospitals were.

For the OHSU secondary, if I'm submitting my LORs through VirtualEvals do I check that "I am arranging for the submission of a premedical committee evaluation report from:" or do I list the names of my three professors in the next option?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the OHSU secondary, if I'm submitting my LORs through VirtualEvals do I check that "I am arranging for the submission of a premedical committee evaluation report from:" or do I list the names of my three professors in the next option?

The names of the 3 profs if its individual letters

I got my OHSU Secondary application invite in the mail yesterday.

It says specifically to send all LORs directly to OHSU SOM. I don't think they participate in Virtual Evals. ???

Does somebody else know anything different and can clarify?

I got my OHSU Secondary application invite in the mail yesterday.

It says specifically to send all LORs directly to OHSU SOM. I don't think they participate in Virtual Evals. ???

Does somebody else know anything different and can clarify?

they take virtualevals... that is how i sent mine

Thanks, jillibean. Just looking through the secondary app packet, it says specifically that all LORs must be sent directly to: then they give the OHSU SOM Office of Admissions address.

When did you submit your secondary? Have you heard anything from them?

I just looked at your MDApp profile.....congrats on the acceptances!! Are you waiting for UWSOM interviews for WWAMI applicants to make your decision?

Thanks, jillibean. Just looking through the secondary app packet, it says specifically that all LORs must be sent directly to: then they give the OHSU SOM Office of Admissions address.

When did you submit your secondary? Have you heard anything from them?

I just looked at your MDApp profile.....congrats on the acceptances!! Are you waiting for UWSOM interviews for WWAMI applicants to make your decision?

I got my "file complete" card from OHSU at the very end of sept and haven't heard anything since. UW is my first choice school for sure though. :luck:

I got my secondary application invite yesterday in the mail. According to the cover page on the application packet, I do not have an eligable MCAT score for the date I took it, yet they sent me a secondary. How much to they screen applicants? This seems like a weak ploy to take $75 from unsuspecting applicants.

Anyone know if that aerial tram to Marquam Hill is finished?

Has anyone OOS been to Oregon yet? I have an interview there scheduled for November 16th and was thinking of withdrawing (got my acceptance to Baylor I was hoping for), but would really love to be in the Pacific Northwest (UW is actually my no. 1, but OOS there is kind of impossible). I'd love to know people's thoughts on the school. Are the facilities nice and new? Are the student's pleasant? Is there at least some access to research, and good residencies?

I was really impressed by the facilites. Nothing seemed old, or rundown.
The aerial tram will be finished before the next class of students arrive.
The MS1 students seemed stressed (exam on monday)
Fourth years were really nice and easy going.

There is a lot of access to research. They want to move into top 20 in NIH funding.

Students match all over, most stay west coast. A lot stay in OR.

something ridiculous like 40% of the doctors in Oregon went to OHSU

Should I keep the interview? It'd mean more school missed and more $ lost...

i heard their facilities are old and updated. are they???

When I interviewed, I thought the classroom building itself was pretty run down. The bathrooms were especially bad. I don't know about the classrooms, and the hospitals are nice. Facilities are about the least important factor for a school anyway, though.

Speaking of lors, apparently OHSU really expects a letter from every significant clinical experience you've had, so send them a ton of letters if they're your top choice.

Has anyone OOS been to Oregon yet? I have an interview there scheduled for November 16th and was thinking of withdrawing (got my acceptance to Baylor I was hoping for), but would really love to be in the Pacific Northwest (UW is actually my no. 1, but OOS there is kind of impossible). I'd love to know people's thoughts on the school. Are the facilities nice and new? Are the student's pleasant? Is there at least some access to research, and good residencies?

The Pacific NW is great, and Portland's a much better place to be than Houston. That being said, I wouldn't go to OHSU over Baylor. Baylor is probably overall a better school with rankings and all that good stuff, and it's cheaper. OHSU OOS tuition is $40k/year, and they supposedly don't give big scholarships. Also, when I interviewed last year, they gave us a copy of the 2005 match list. While people went to impressive places, I didn't find any matches for the super comeptitive things like derm and opthal. It's probably a cultural thing, but if you're gunning for something like that, OHSU probably isn't the best choice.

As for the student body, I'm sure they're nice, but OHSU has a reputation for not having a very interactive class, probably because lots of students are older. If you're looking for a really social atmosphere, again, another school might be a better pick.

Yeah HumbleMD you should go to OHSU. And if you do can I have your spot at Umich?

:D

I just finished my secondary for OHSU, specifically getting my LOR's in and was wondering how long it takes for them to get a postcard confirmation out, in general?

The Pacific NW is great, and Portland's a much better place to be than Houston. That being said, I wouldn't go to OHSU over Baylor. Baylor is probably overall a better school with rankings and all that good stuff, and it's cheaper. OHSU OOS tuition is $40k/year, and they supposedly don't give big scholarships. Also, when I interviewed last year, they gave us a copy of the 2005 match list. While people went to impressive places, I didn't find any matches for the super comeptitive things like derm and opthal. It's probably a cultural thing, but if you're gunning for something like that, OHSU probably isn't the best choice.

As for the student body, I'm sure they're nice, but OHSU has a reputation for not having a very interactive class, probably because lots of students are older. If you're looking for a really social atmosphere, again, another school might be a better pick.

Thank you very much for the info. I think I might pass it up then and keep my fingers crossed for UW.

Thank you very much for the info. I think I might pass it up then and keep my fingers crossed for UW.

In other words, your chances of being accepted to Oregon are much higher than at Washington. You obviously are a strong candidate...but Washington has a tremendous bias against out of state unless you are from Idaho or those other western states with no medical school.

When I interviewed, I thought the classroom building itself was pretty run down. The bathrooms were especially bad. I don't know about the classrooms, and the hospitals are nice. Facilities are about the least important factor for a school anyway, though.

Speaking of lors, apparently OHSU really expects a letter from every significant clinical experience you've had, so send them a ton of letters if they're your top choice.

I have been to OHSU and UW and I thought the classroom building at OHSU is FAR nicer than at UW... so I wouldn't let the facilities be the deal breaker.

In other words, your chances of being accepted to Oregon are much higher than at Washington. You obviously are a strong candidate...but Washington has a tremendous bias against out of state unless you are from Idaho or those other western states with no medical school.

Yeah, I know UW is quite a long shot (although I do have a proven commitment to underserved populations, as they require), but I don't know if I can justify OHSU over Baylor. Location and climate are important, but they shouldn't be the sole factor I'm thinking. Thanks to all those for the input though. Wish I had found SDN sooner...

To contribute, here's my time-line. Everything with OHSU was snail mail
Verified 6/16
Received Secondary 8/5
Interview Invite 9/30

Yeah, I know UW is quite a long shot (although I do have a proven commitment to underserved populations, as they require), but I don't know if I can justify OHSU over Baylor. Location and climate are important, but they shouldn't be the sole factor I'm thinking. Thanks to all those for the input though. Wish I had found SDN sooner...

To contribute, here's my time-line. Everything with OHSU was snail mail
Verified 6/16
Received Secondary 8/5
Interview Invite 9/30

Where to start...

Classrooms at OHSU are not run down. They are very nice. The seating is theater style. The seats themselves are relatively new. The classroom are completely multimedia equiped. The instructors are mic'ed and the lectures are given on powerpoint slides that are posted on the course web page.

The anatomy lab is bright, has the best ventilation of any lab I saw during my application process. One whole side of the lab has a full length window that looks out over forest park.

The facilities generally are excellent. Nothing is run down. Many of the buildings are brand new, some are still being completed on the new waterfront campus. The tram between the Marquam Hill campus and the water-front campus will be completed in January.

The class dynamics are different with every class but we are definitely interactive. As a group we are a bit on the old side (mostly my fault) with an average age of 26. We range from the dull study all the time fuddy-duddy's like me to the people who party every weekend. Our class is has 120 people, and I can honestly say I haven't met a single person I don't like.

Regarding access to research, likely you will have as much as you want. We are required to do a research project during our 3rd block this year (systems, processes, and homeostasis). The faculty is very receptive. OHSU will not promote faculty if they don't actively teach, thus says the Dean. Most of the clinical faculty I've met have ongoing clinical research projects.

As to whether you should keep your interview here, I can't really help you. Baylor's a great school. The good news is that from here on, you can't really go wrong. All I can tell you is that OHSU is a great place to study medicine. If you think you probably won't come to OHSU, I'd save the money. If you think you'd be happier in the NW than in Texas, I'd definitely keep your interview at OHSU. UW is a huge long shot for OOS.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about OHSU from a MS1 perspective. That goes for anyone else as well. Congratulations on your acceptance to medical school!

I'm interviewing the 16th too!!! I would like your spot tho so it's probably best to cancel;)

Nope...no instate tuition after first year, or four years for that matter.

Hey, i havent gotten a complete postcard yet and its beenover 2 weeks. Do you think i should call and inquire about my status???

Hi all,

Can somebody please PM me the link to the OHSU secondary? I received the invitation to complete it over the weekend but don't have the letter in front of me at the moment. I think I can remember my username and password, but the URL has flown right out of my head.

Thanks!

Hey, i havent gotten a complete postcard yet and its beenover 2 weeks. Do you think i should call and inquire about my status???

It took a little over three weeks for me get mine after I knew all of my letters arrived. :luck:

v. exciting.
i was complete sometime in late september/early october.
portland!

anyone know the number for the admissions office?

v. exciting.
i was complete sometime in late september/early october.
portland!

Got one too and jsut scheduled it.

I am a bit nervous about this tuition deal. Am I clear on this: NO IN-STATE TUITION AFTER A YEAR OF RESIDENCY! (please let me know if I am misunderstanding)

That might be a deal breaker.

Got one too and jsut scheduled it.

I am a bit nervous about this tuition deal. Am I clear on this: NO IN-STATE TUITION AFTER A YEAR OF RESIDENCY! (please let me know if I am misunderstanding)

bah. it's worth it, if you get to go where you want.
plus, if you're interested in primary care, you might check out the national health scholars program. even if you don't win a scholarship, you can sign up after your residency and receive a degree of tuition reimbursement.

This is correct.

Be very careful not to assume that schools give you in-state tuition after a year of residency. If you read the fine print, many schools have a specific caveat that your year of residency does not qualify if you are a resident for academic purposes.

I've found a lot more schools that require OOSers to pay OOS tuition for all four years than schools that don't.

I have my interview this Thursday (11/16) and I am looking for advice from anyone who has already interviewed this cycle. The weather report has rain all week (shocker) but I don't own a rain coat. How much time was spent outside walking around during the day? Is there a place to hang coats or umbrellas during interviews? Any questions I should be prepaired to answer from interviewers? Thanks

i was looking through last summer's posts. the earliest I saw some one receive was 8-14. it came via snail mail.

I submitted my AMAS back in June. It took a good month and a half to get the snail mail letter with the website and login info for the secondary.

I have my interview this Thursday (11/16) and I am looking for advice from anyone who has already interviewed this cycle. The weather report has rain all week (shocker) but I don't own a rain coat. How much time was spent outside walking around during the day? Is there a place to hang coats or umbrellas during interviews? Any questions I should be prepaired to answer from interviewers? Thanks

Bring your umbrella!!!!! The campus is large and you may very well have to walk a significant distance outside to get from one interview to the next. I was very thankful I had my umbrella. Also- bring a book. Nice folks at OHSU, but a little disorganized. Some people didn't have their first interview until 1:00, so they basicallly had time to kill from the end of orientation (9:00) until 1.

Go kick some ass at that interview.

SF

Thanks I'll grab my umbrella. Anyone else interviewing on thurs 11/16?

yeah, GL. OHSU is an awesome school. You have to walk to your interviewers office which could be on opposite sides of campus. Both my interviews were reallly low stress, just getting to know you, why you are interested in OHSU. I think if you are interested in research mention it because I think they get a lot of people interested in rural/family/primary care but also want a diverse class. Interestingly enough, one of my interviewers had this very thread printed out and asked me about SDN. He was giving a talk on the internet and applicant resources or something.