Ohsu '07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No need for an umbrella but almost every applicant was carrying one around. Hi to any applicants who were there 11/16- it was a pleasure meeting you and hopefully we'll all be there in the fall. My first interview went great but the following one I have no idea. They had a list of questions prepared and stared at me straight faced with no feedback. How would you answer if an interviewer straight up asked you what you thought about people? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the average wait time for an interview inivitation was for OHSU? I know 12 weeks is the max, but has anyone received invites relativey quickly? Are they pretty backed up right now?

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the average wait time for an interview inivitation was for OHSU? I know 12 weeks is the max, but has anyone received invites relativey quickly? Are they pretty backed up right now?

My invite came about 4 weeks after the complete postcard. I was surprised it came that fast and I've already interviewed. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

As far as I know there isn't a maximum wait (except for April 2007). If you haven't heard anything after 12 weeks definitely give them a call to make certain nothing has dropped through the cracks. As long as they have not told you no, you are still in the running. Admissions at OHSU runs at its own pace. The good news is that it doesn't matter when you interview, you will have the same chance of admission as everyone else. GL.

When I interviewed there, they informed us that they would be getting back to us around 4 to 6 weeks after the interview. It has been 4 weeks for me running on 5 and haven't heard anything. Has anybody out there heard anything back post-interview? Just curious about when I can be expecting to hear news. good luck to all.

I called about when they send out the first batch of acceptances, and it seems that we should know by mid december.

No need for an umbrella but almost every applicant was carrying one around. Hi to any applicants who were there 11/16- it was a pleasure meeting you and hopefully we'll all be there in the fall...

pleasure meeting you too... whichever one you were!

When I interviewed there, they informed us that they would be getting back to us around 4 to 6 weeks after the interview. It has been 4 weeks for me running on 5 and haven't heard anything. Has anybody out there heard anything back post-interview? Just curious about when I can be expecting to hear news. good luck to all.

It's been over 6 weeks for me and I still haven't received anything back from them....so much for their 4-6 week promise!

Robert? How was ur 2nd interview?
-Heather

It was good! and yours? Your second one was in the Administrative Building right?

5 weeks and no word...

when we interviewed, they told us all to pretty much expect to get on the hold list, and that they didn't want to hand out acceptances until Jan. They said that once they talk about you and give you your score, they'll put you into the pool, and any given Thursday when the adcom meets, they could decide to give you and acceptance based on your score.

It sounds like the adcom votes privately on each canidate presented during a given week. That cummulative score is then added to the academic numbers to create an applicant's final score. This score is then put into a cummulative applicant list. Applicants are then admitted from this list in a limited way by rank each week after they decide that they have a large enough pool on the list...sounds like a couple every week starting in late Novermber or early December. Then come at some point in time, more are let in...presumably to meet the AMCAS rules of filling the class by late-March (although this was not comfirmed at the interview day I attended). We were told on my interview day that most of us would learn our fate in May...but would hear hold (probable), accepted, or rejected within 6 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys just thought i would let you know OHSU has started sending out decisions. I just got the acceptance letter on 11/21!!!! I interviewed there on 10/19. Gluck to everyone! hope you guys hear some good news soon.

hey guys just thought i would let you know OHSU has started sending out decisions. I just got the acceptance letter on 11/21!!!! I interviewed there on 10/19. Gluck to everyone! hope you guys hear some good news soon.

Thanks for the news and congrats! Is that a top choice for you?

definitely one of my top choices unless i get accepted to a cali school

Should I bother turning in the secondary, or is it way too late?

The due date on the secondary, is Jan 17, so it's about as late as it can be, but not too late.

Anybody heard from Oregon recently?? I interviewed in early december and I am still waiting. I think they said 6 weeks.

Anybody heard from Oregon recently?? I interviewed in early december and I am still waiting. I think they said 6 weeks.

don't sweat it. took me close to 9 weeks to hear back.

Can anyone explain the admissions procedures? If schools are required to fill their class by March 15th, does that mean that when schools like OHSU interview into April, the applicants with late interview dates are really interviewing for waitlist spots? And if most people don't hear about their status from OHSU until May, does that mean after March 15th, the best you can hear back is a waitlist? I'm interviewing at OHSU at the end of February, and I was just offered an interview by another school for the end of March. I just want to be realistic about what my chances of an actual acceptance are.

Can anyone explain the admissions procedures? If schools are required to fill their class by March 15th, does that mean that when schools like OHSU interview into April, the applicants with late interview dates are really interviewing for waitlist spots? And if most people don't hear about their status from OHSU until May, does that mean after March 15th, the best you can hear back is a waitlist? I'm interviewing at OHSU at the end of February, and I was just offered an interview by another school for the end of March. I just want to be realistic about what my chances of an actual acceptance are.
This reply is a little late, but, better late than never.

This is my understanding of OHSU: The are NOT on a rolling admissions system. Meaning, in theory, that the very last person they interview has the same chance of gaining admissions as the first person they interviewed (based soley on interview dates, not credentials). That being said, roughly 10% of those who are accepted will be accepted out-right, without being placed in a "hold" pool. This hold pool simply means that you passed all of the admissions criteria, and that they are very interested in you. However, since they do not do rolling admissions, you are placed in a hold queue until the last person has been interviewed. Immediately prior to being placed in a hold queue, your application is numerically scored and given a number, say somewhere between 1-500. Let's jump ahead to April, when the last interview takes place. After everyone who they choose to interview has been interviewed, they take all of the people in the hold queue and literally categorize them based on their application score. They form a stack of applications with the highest scored application being at the top. They then make their way through the applications, descending from the highest number until they have filled all incoming class seats. After the class is full, they continue going down the list, however, instead of sending out admissions, they send out wait list spots (which are numbered/ranked). As people decline their offers, they admit people off of the ranked wait list starting with #1 and going as high as they need to. Some years they admit up to #90 on the wait list, other years it is #50. It just depends.

To prematurely answer some questions that I'm sure people will ask:

1) Your application score is permanent, and is not negotiable. Once it is assigned (usually within 4-6 weeks after you interview) it will NEVER change. Therefore, sending update letters, pictures of yourself swimming, videos of you auditioning for American Idol, or other such questionable items will NOT affect your application score.

2) Your ranked wait list position is also permanent, and is not negotiable. If you are wait listed, two things will occur: you will be notified no sooner than May 1st, and you will be give a wait list number along with your wait list letter. This serves as a helpful tool to allow you to better gauge your chances of gaining admissions. If you are wait list #213, you have an extremely small chance of gaining admissions. However, if you are wait list #30, you have an extremely large chance of gaining admissions.

I hope this helps answer some questins about OHSU. As you have read and heard from multiple sources, their application process if both fair and unique. With that comes a lot of confusion from people who are unfamiliar with such an intricate admissions system. Hopefully my posting helped answer your questions.

----------------------

Oh by the way - in case you are wondering how I know this stuff, most of it I learned from the Associate Dean of Education while I was interviewing there. The other information comes from both my interviewer as well as my interview packet that I received during my interview. Further, I was accepted into OHSU roughly 8 weeks after I interviewed.

Thank you for that information. I have an interview in mid-march and it's very comforting to hear that I'm not interviewing for a waitlist spot.

And the numerical score, how is that calculated?

And the numerical score, how is that calculated?

As far as the algorithm they use for determining your numerical score - your guess is as good as mine. However, I do recall (with moderate accuracy) being told during either my interview or presentation on OHSU that they break down the score into the following:

25% - MCAT & GPA
25% - Interview
25% - LORs
25% - Clinical & Community Service

Again, I am going off what I am somewhat certain I recall a school official mentioning to us on our interview day. Moreover, I don't think OHSU is secretive when it comes to their admissions criteria. If you were to simply phone their admissions office and ask them these questions (or perhaps an email), I'm sure they could answer your questions with greater validity than I can. :)

I also interviewed at OHSU in Jan. (haven't heard anything yet...) and know that the interview is 80% of the overall score. I am an instater and heard this through the grapevine at the university i attended, it was further verified when I asked the dean of admissions. Good Luck!

Yeah, I agree more with sorchai. I seem to remember the interviews being worth a huge chunk.

It could be that the 80% interview score also takes into account your lors and ECs

The assistant dean of admissions interviewed me and she said the interview AND our ECs, LOR, etc are worth 80%. Even the admissions committee doesn't see your GPA or MCAT score. The numerical score given for your GPA/MCAT is normalized to make up 20% then added to the score from the adcom. I think it is a great way of choosing students. :thumbup:

The assistant dean of admissions interviewed me and she said the interview AND our ECs, LOR, etc are worth 80%. Even the admissions committee doesn't see your GPA or MCAT score. The numerical score given for your GPA/MCAT is normalized to make up 20% then added to the score from the adcom. I think it is a great way of choosing students. :thumbup:

Yeah overall, that was what greatly impressed me walking away from my interview day at OHSU ... they actually have reasons for having the process occur the way that it does ... and more importantly they are reasons that are both logical and pretty fair-minded.

I mean, if at least a few medical schools started using the waitlist system OHSU has, imagine how less stressful and agonizing summer waitlists would be.

Yeah overall, that was what greatly impressed me walking away from my interview day at OHSU ... they actually have reasons for having the process occur the way that it does ... and more importantly they are reasons that are both logical and pretty fair-minded.

I mean, if at least a few medical schools started using the waitlist system OHSU has, imagine how less stressful and agonizing summer waitlists would be.

It truly is the best system I have encountered with respect to getting the matriculants they desire. I also completely forgot to mention in any of my previous posts that interviewers are not given the interviewee's MCAT or GPA during any point of the application process. In fact, OHSU conducted a makeshift experiment in the mid-90s to determine if shielding the interviewers from MCAT/GPA data had an impact on their decisions regarding the applicants character traits. Not much to their surprise, they found that applicants' MCAT/GPA data had an effect on the interviewers' scoring of the personality traits of their applicants. Specifically, my interviewer shared an anecdotal story with me about how 'back in the day' some interviewers would disfavorably mark applicants if they had extremely high MCAT/GPA scores because they felt that they would not choose OHSU over, say, Harvard. This may have been unintentional on behalf of the interviewer, but it still presented a problem.

So, long story short: Yes, there are some problems people find with this application model; but, it seems to work for OHSU, so they stick with it. I generally find that those who strongly criticize and dislike it usually did not make it to the end of the application process successfully, as opposed to someone who was accepted and chose not to matriculate there.

Best of luck to all those who have applied!

Have you received the acceptance packet yet or are you aware of when we can expect to get it?

I am assuming that they have just not prepared the packet as of yet......either way I am looking forward to receiving it.

Good luck to everyone!

i was accepted in november and I just got the packet a couple weeks ago....so maybe u will get the packet in the next few weeks or something.

Is it true that they are done offering invites?

I have not received my packet yet. I'm guessing I will sometime in March? I'm not in any sort of hurry, though. As long as I get it before, say, June? :)

It truly is the best system I have encountered with respect to getting the matriculants they desire. I also completely forgot to mention in any of my previous posts that interviewers are not given the interviewee's MCAT or GPA during any point of the application process. In fact, OHSU conducted a makeshift experiment in the mid-90s to determine if shielding the interviewers from MCAT/GPA data had an impact on their decisions regarding the applicants character traits. Not much to their surprise, they found that applicants' MCAT/GPA data had an effect on the interviewers' scoring of the personality traits of their applicants. Specifically, my interviewer shared an anecdotal story with me about how 'back in the day' some interviewers would disfavorably mark applicants if they had extremely high MCAT/GPA scores because they felt that they would not choose OHSU over, say, Harvard. This may have been unintentional on behalf of the interviewer, but it still presented a problem.

So, long story short: Yes, there are some problems people find with this application model; but, it seems to work for OHSU, so they stick with it. I generally find that those who strongly criticize and dislike it usually did not make it to the end of the application process successfully, as opposed to someone who was accepted and chose not to matriculate there.

Best of luck to all those who have applied!

My biggest complaint about their system is that they're just so freaking slow. UW has a very similar system with more applicants, and yet they make all their decisions months before OHSU. IMO, it's not acceptable to leave the majority of applicants without any final decision until after May 15 -- the AAMC doesn't think it's acceptable, either. Couple that with an admissions office that's virtually impossible to get hold of, and you get the idea that they're not focused on being considerate to their applicants.

As for the question about interviews, I would bet they're still giving offers. They interview into late April, or at least they did last year.

Thanks for all of your wonderful help and advice Thrall. Suggesting that I read the previous posts was very helpful! Why hadn't I thought of that before? Actually, I had read the previous posts and know that they interview until April, but where people already have invites for mid march, I thought it might be possible that they have already issued invites for the April interviews as well. To add to this, on a different thread, someone listed OHSU as done issuing invites. That is why I came to ask on this post. Thank you for jumping to concclusions that I do not know how to read, and for being for so helpful!:D

just got dropped. website says "file closed". i guess they're starting to make some "real decisions" about now. :)

OHSU has an online status page?

just got dropped. website says "file closed". i guess they're starting to make some "real decisions" about now. :)
Are you confusing Oregon Health & Science University with a school in Oklahoma or Ohio? I do not believe OHSU has an online status section on their website.

If they do, please share this highly coveted link with the rest of us.

Either OHSU is still sending out interview invitations, or else someone's playing an elaborate prank on me... :)

The dates given on my interview letter range from March 21st to April 12th. So, just like previous years, they're interviewing well into April.

I couldn't make the earliest dates, on account of I've already plane tickets for a second-look weekend elsewhere.

they told us when i interviewed that they interview through april, with non-rolling admissions so that april interviewees have as good a chance as october ones. unless you're really, really, really good (or bad), in which case they might make an immediate decision.

they told us when i interviewed that they interview through april, with non-rolling admissions

And although my post here isn't going to help anyone...
I really, really want an interview invite to OHSU.
Somebody, please? Anyone? :)

they told us when i interviewed that they interview through april, with non-rolling admissions so that april interviewees have as good a chance as october ones. unless you're really, really, really good (or bad), in which case they might make an immediate decision.

So why did my interviewer tell me I would hear in 4-6 weeks (I interviewed three weeks ago)?

melissainsd, I think they meant that they would be sending you some sort of letter in 4-6 weeks. What they told me was that the vast majority of those letters will be informing you of your placement on a waitlist, while a tiny few will be rejections or acceptances. So yes, I think we are supposed to hear back in 4-6 weeks, but they said that about 90% of those letters will be telling us we're on a waitlist, with the majority of the decisions to be made after the interviews are over in April. Hope that clears things up.

After 4-6 weeks, you'll get a letter notifying you of a "hold" status which is different from a waitlist (unless you're lucky enough to get an immediate acceptance). OHSU keeps most of their applicants (post interview) in the "hold" pool until all interviews are given. It is my understanding that after they have sent out acceptances (after April interviews) they will make up their waitlist at that time.

After 4-6 weeks, you'll get a letter notifying you of a "hold" status which is different from a waitlist (unless you're lucky enough to get an immediate acceptance). OHSU keeps most of their applicants (post interview) in the "hold" pool until all interviews are given. It is my understanding that after they have sent out acceptances (after April interviews) they will make up their waitlist at that time.

Last year, they notified all the hold people at once, and it wasn't until around May 20 or so. It's pretty easy for them to figure everything out since you're all already assigned a number that's set in stone.