OHSU info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lfesiam

Regional Guy for Hire!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody! Congrats on the match MS4s! :thumbup:

MS3 here planning on a 4th year away Anesthesiology rotation at OHSU. Any advice or info from medical students, PGY1, CA1, CA2, CA3, Attendings, Alumni will be greatly appreciated!

Where to live, sublets, hospital info (where, what, how, huh?), must see places in Portland, best brews/wine/food, OHSU matching advice, how to commute around the city without a car,

Thanks and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I am glad this was started. I also have a lot of the same questions. Any information would be helpfull.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, but the only thing I can tell you is that portland has great public transport and is possibly the MOST bike friendly city in America. If you can bring a bike, you'll be fine. Bring some gore-tex rainwear too if you're there sept-may. Just a few words from a displaced Oregonian

1) Powell's Bookstore on Burnside. Perhaps the most fantastic bookstore on the face of the planet.

2) McMenamin's microbreweries. My personal favorite was Blue Moon in NW Portland, but the Mission Theater is fantastic -- they play old movies while you eat and drink.

3) Taki's Souvlaki (it might be gone, but it's so good it would be worth searching out) makes the best souvlaki and gyros on the face of the planet. It was next door to the Satyricon, a nasty nightclub for live music (Nirvana played there before getting big; my best friend actually hung out one night with Courtney Love.)

But watch out -- Portlanders are some of the most stuck-up people on the face of the planet. It's all they can do to admit that they are actually Oregonians, because much of the state is actually quite rural and NOT metropolitan. They really wish they were San Franciscans, but are too poor to move to the Bay Area.

Have fun!!!

McMimmininimim's Jackson School bar is fun too.

More important:
the Acrop and Union Jacks

Also, everyone is too poor to live in San Fran.

I'm actually soon to be a "Portlander" after having the choice of being a "San Franciscan", and am quite glad with my choice! If you think Portlanders are stuck up, you CLEARLY haven't spent enough time in the Bay Area! There is a reason Portlanders hate Californians--they bring their money, their egos, and their gas guzzling cars to Portland when they desire natural beauty!

That said, while I can't give you much advice about where to live while on rotation, I can tell you that if you message me while you're there I'll grab some beers with you!

How funny is this…

San Francisco vs Portland

Liberals arguing about who is more stuck up, translated to who thinks they best know how to best regulate everyone’s life.

“your car guzzles to much gas” “well you don’t pay enough taxes”

Liberals are funny.

How funny is this…

Liberals arguing about who is more stuck up, translated to who thinks they best know how to best regulate everyone’s life.

Liberals are funny.

I'm not liberal. I'm just a big fan of this place we live called "Earth", and I'd like to see us stick around on it for awhile. If that qualifies me as liberal, I wish there were a lot more liberals.

How funny is this…

Liberals are funny.

Funny, I thought that the conservatives were the ones into regulating the lives of others...

"you can't have an abortion even though it's your own body"
"you can't get married unless it's to a member of the opposite sex"
"you can't put that kind of language/content on television or in your music"

Sorry to perpetuate the hijacking of this thread, but this guy's quote was just too much for me.

To be fair, "liberals" can carry a bit of a holier than though pretense about who's greenest and most progressive...

Funny, I thought that the conservatives were the ones into regulating the lives of others...

"you can't have an abortion even though it's your own body"
"you can't get married unless it's to a member of the opposite sex"
"you can't put that kind of language/content on television or in your music"

Sorry to perpetuate the hijacking of this thread, but this guy's quote was just too much for me.

To be fair, "liberals" can carry a bit of a holier than though pretense about who's greenest and most progressive...

You won’t get an argument from me that the religious right doesn’t love to tell people how to live. They love it too.

But, anyway, I, too, am very interested in this thread. I am only an MS II, but OHSU has quickly risen to the top of my residency binder.

Will be doing an away rotation at OHSU this September and October! :soexcited:

Any oregon peeps want to sublet a sofa, an apartment or a room in their house? Not a smoker. Will provide compensations and good Thai home cooking:

pad-thai-ck-434713-l.jpg

BUMP BUMP BUMP.

Last edited: