OHSU or UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc13

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from cali, and like the curriculum better at ohsu, but do you think it is worth spending an extra $50-80k?

Members don't see this ad.

Remember that the "curriculum" differences in the first two years last only 2 years, half the people at all med schools don't go to class anyways, and all med schools teach you the same thing (to pass the boards). Instead of enjoying a better lecture style for two years that teaches you the same material, wouldn't you rather spend the money on a very nice sports car or make the downpayment on a house that will last you a lot longer than two years? Just something to think about, it's your money.

I dont know if it is rumors or not, but arent students at UCSD extremely miserable, because of the crazy environment and schedule? seems like a no brainer to me....

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever!

Yes, EVERYONE is MISERABLE at UCSD.

I hope you can sense the sarcsasm in my writing, because I'm laying it on PRETTY THICK.

I can attest, from personal experience, that there are many, many people at UCSD that like it just fine. The rumors that you are hearing are vastly overstated and out of date.

-mrp

OHSU it is not worth more money than UCSD. we are not talking about Harvard here!

I do not believe Harvard is worth more than OHSU. Go where you will be the happiest. There is way too much hype associated with which school is better than which ( generally speaking about US schools).
Just my opinion!!

I'm a graduating senior from UCSD, so you can take what I say with whatever bias you think is appropriate. The school is beautiful. Everyday is like living in a paradise, weather and setting wise. The school is challenging. It is a research institution and research is its primary goal, be it clinical or basic. This does breed compeition and that competition does filter down to the students, at least at the undergraduate level. Some of the faculty are good teachers and some aren't, but most are great researchers. The clinical experience, from what I've seen of the patient population, is amazingly diverse in San Diego, although the campus itself is not diverse. I'd go so far as to say that UCSD is the least diverse of the UC campuses, but I have nothing to back that up with, just an observation.

If I was in your situtation though, which I'm not as I was rejected from OHSU and am removing myself from the waitlist at UCSD, I'd pick UCSD. I never regretted going there for undergrad and wouldn't mind staying, although I definitely am pleased that UCI appears to be a less overtly competitive environment. OHSU seemed a nice environment as well, but going down to the river...just doesn't compare to the beach.

none speaks the truth. I went to UCSD for undergrad. UCSD is competitive, whether the students want to admit it or not. I'm sure not EVERYONE is miserable at the med school, but I think it would be fair to say that most people are not as happy as they could be. Quite a few of the UCSD med students I talked to when I was deciding where to apply said they should have gone to another school--that's out of random sampling.

On the other hand, the weather is great all year and it's right by the beach. As a place to live, it's pretty darn near perfect.

I went to UCSD as an undergrad and have MANY FRIENDS at the medical school. Some of the rumors were true a couple of years ago but I KNOW THAT THE SCHOOL HAS CHANGED SINCE THOSE TIMES. IT is an excellent school in the nicest city. Don't listen to rumors! I really believe it's a great school and I had a hard time withdrawing my acceptance but I did it for Harvard...NOT FOR OHSU!!! Seriously... go to UCSD, it is hard but every med school is and they do a really good job of preparing you for the boards!!! once again GO TO UCSD, it's cheaper, nicer location, and the school is improving big time.