OHSU Oregon resident admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bear rock

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an Oregon resident and I've been reading over the OHSU admissions site at this link. Here's an excerpt from the section describing a typical admissions cycle:
  • Total applications received: 6,700+
  • Of the 6,700 applications received, approx. 7% are Oregonians, 93% are non-residents
  • Applicants Interviewed: 570
  • Number of acceptance offers made: 230+
  • Class size: 153
  • Profile of Entering Class:
    • 84% residents of Oregon
If I'm reading this right, ~469 Oregonians applied and (230*0.84)/469 = 193 Oregonians were accepted. In other words, the acceptance rate for Oregonians is 40%! This seems to fit with their policy on mission based groups, but I wanted to confirm that I'm reading this correctly. Do they really favor applicants from Oregon this heavily?

Members don't see this ad.

Based on MSAR 316/476 Oregonians were interviewed and only 255/6700+ out of state were interviewed. Im not from there or anything but it definitely seems like they are favored very heavily, OOS is only ~4% interview rate

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank god that I'm from Oregon!

Reactions: 1 user
It's a very strong preference yeah.

And I can tell you the overall stats ranges in the MSAR are inflated by the out of state admits. They openly state on their website they are looking for high-stats people in the OOS pool:

Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences. For the 2017 cycle, superior academics is defined as a cumulative Total GPA, as reported by AMCAS, of 3.70 or higher, and a cumulative score of 32 or higher (for the old MCAT) or 513 or higher (for the new MCAT) on the most recent eligible MCAT.

If you could look at just the data for instate applicants, you'd see not only a very high interview and admit rate, but also much lower median numbers.

Edit: Their matriculant 75th percentile is a 513, so yeah, they are saying on their web site that they are looking for out of state people that would have a strong GPA and be in the top quarter of the class by MCAT.

It's a very strong preference yeah.

And I can tell you the overall stats ranges in the MSAR are inflated by the out of state admits. They openly state on their website they are looking for high-stats people in the OOS pool:

Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences. For the 2017 cycle, superior academics is defined as a cumulative Total GPA, as reported by AMCAS, of 3.70 or higher, and a cumulative score of 32 or higher (for the old MCAT) or 513 or higher (for the new MCAT) on the most recent eligible MCAT.

If you could look at just the data for instate applicants, you'd see not only a very high interview and admit rate, but also much lower median numbers.

Edit: Their matriculant 75th percentile is a 513, so yeah, they are saying on their web site that they are looking for out of state people that would have a strong GPA and be in the top quarter of the class by MCAT.
Considering their lower expectations for in state, how are OHSU grads considered by residency directors?

Considering their lower expectations for in state, how are OHSU grads considered by residency directors?
Pretty solid:

UNC, UCSD, UVA, Georgetown
Oregon, Case Western, Brown, Dartmouth
Sinai, Rochester, Tufts, USC, + a few others

Pretty solid:

UNC, UCSD, UVA, Georgetown
Oregon, Case Western, Brown, Dartmouth
Sinai, Rochester, Tufts, USC, + a few others
Could you point me toward your source for these names? I'd be interested to look through.

Could you point me toward your source for these names? I'd be interested to look through.
It's the US News reputation survey that makes up part of their ranking algorithm. The score values are behind paywall unfortunately.