OHSU - Still no word?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AxlxA

Addicted to ***
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was verified back in mid JUNE and i still have not heard a single thing from OSHU. Should i call and ask? i have a feeling things are lost in the mail.

Members don't see this ad.

AxlxA said:
I was verified back in mid JUNE and i still have not heard a single thing from OSHU. Should i call and ask? i have a feeling things are lost in the mail.

ohsu is really slow.

I was verified in June as well but received the OHSU secondary couple of weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was verified late July, and I received my secondary invitation for OHSU by mail a couple days ago. I'm out of state by the way. I'm not sure about others but I would probably wait another week or so before calling.

I just heard back from OHSU yesterday, and I was verified about a month ago. You may have been screened pre-secondary. Hopefully this isnt the case, but if it is, I'm sorry :(

I would be super pissed if they pre-screened me based on my stats. Because my stats do not suck. But then again, med school adcoms play voodoo. Everything is a coin flip these days.

I'm a Hawaii resident, URM, and was verified on 8/1. I received the OHSU letter on 9/6, and the link listed was slightly incorrect. AiXiA, I hope you hear from them soon!

First, sorry about the typo, AxIxA.

Second, if it makes you feel any better, I still haven't received Harvard's snail mail letter. :)

How does that make me feel better? I haven't received HMS either but submitted the app anyways since it was non-screening.

I want to just CHILLL when i'm done with secondaries. I only have Vanderbilt and OHSU left(the ones i care about atleast).

I'm very impatient sometimes, other times, i'm too patient.

I wouldn't worry about OHSU yet. I was verified in late July (I know that's later than you, but still...) and I got the secondary yesterday. Funny thing is, they sent it to my permanent address (in CA) and not my preferred address. Perhaps it's a CA residency game, but I'm inclined to think it's a result of disorganization. You should call them.

But anyway, look on the bright side--you've heard from UCSF!

i got mine a while ago.

speak of the devil, guess what was waiting for me when i got home from work today? besides bills... it was the HMS "what it means to be a harvard doctor" envelope. about damn time, though i guess snail mail takes a while to get from boston to honolulu, lol.

All i got in my mail was 2 netflix dvds. Dont get me wrong i was delighted to find new movies to watch. Btw the movies are CRASH and OLDBOY. Both i hear are excellent. Crash is about sept 11. got some BIG actors in it like don cheadle. OLDBOY is korean violent film. Looking forward to both during the weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
AxlxA said:
All i got in my mail was 2 netflix dvds. Dont get me wrong i was delighted to find new movies to watch. Btw the movies are CRASH and OLDBOY. Both i hear are excellent. Crash is about sept 11. got some BIG actors in it like don cheadle. OLDBOY is korean violent film. Looking forward to both during the weekend.

I just got Adaptation and American Splendor which are going to keep me company while I write furiously this weekend.

I feel your pain about OHSU. I've been obsessing about my lack of UCLA/Geffen secondary. The U of Washington I understand not getting because it's a huge reach. But come on, UCLA, every other UC has acknowledged me! I can't seem to just be content with what I have because I don't have this one. It's driving me crazy! :laugh:

AxlxA said:

You don't think you'll get enough 9/11 coverage this weekend? Flood coverage, 4 year anniversary, korean gangster film... sounds like a theme.

indo said:
You don't think you'll get enough 9/11 coverage this weekend? Flood coverage, 4 year anniversary, korean gangster film... sounds like a theme.
CRASH isn't about 9/11... it's about 5 or 6 different stories that "crash" into each other by the end of the movie (simply put). I thought it was one of the best films I've ever seen. Talk about a loaded cast too.

And yes, I'm still reaching for UW too, but I'm hoping they'll give me a shot.

Crash is about racism. It's a great movie.

Yea my friend just told me crash is not about 9/11. Well i guess i really wont miss out with the 4 year anniversary coming up.

Dudes, I am just realizing, This world is some ef'ed up place. Look at all the tragedies in the past 5 years. 9/11, tsunami, katrina, and you can probably BUSH as pres is a tragedy as well.

AGAIN NO OHSU YET.

AxlxA said:
AGAIN NO OHSU YET.

Just relax and give em a call to find out whether you should be expecting one...

Finally, received my stupid OHSU letter today. Gonna send it off as soon as i whip up the essays. ****ACCIO ESSAYS****

Oldboy is a kick-ass movie--very bizarre and twisty. I got it through netflix a couple weeks ago. :thumbup:

Don't worry about OHSU--they're slow. I took the Aug MCAT last year, didn't get a secondary until late Sep/October I think, interviewed in Jan, and was still among the relatively small group that gets accepted without first being waitlisted. Timing is really not as big of a deal there, their admissions process has been explained elsewhere on this site but it really matters very little there whether you interview in Oct or March. I know it doesn't feel that way when you're waiting (trust me, I remember all too well), but save your stress about when you get a secondary for all the other schools that basically have their classes filled by the end of the year and are only interviewing for their waitlists after that. good luck!

Has anyone received anything other than a complete notice? I've seen no mention of OHSU in any of the interview/rejection type threads.

indo said:
Has anyone received anything other than a complete notice? I've seen no mention of OHSU in any of the interview/rejection type threads.

Nope. I'm getting a little antsy because I really want an interview with them.

titoincali said:
Nope. I'm getting a little antsy because I really want an interview with them.
Same here, I'm really looking forward to interviewing there! (I hope!! hehe)

My AMCAS was verified sometime in mid-august and I received my secondary In mid-september. Im in the process of writing the personal statement for them. Its my number one choice for med school.

I was born out in Olympia, Washington, but Ive lived most my life in Chicago. I really want to go back to the pacific northwest (the best place in the states:) )

AMCAS verified August Xth. Received secondary sometime in Sept. Completed a few weeks ago (received a postcard in the mail)--postmarked October 3rd--stamped sept 30th. It said it may take up to 12 weeks before hearing back from them. Interviewing from October to March.

mdung said:
AMCAS verified August Xth. Received secondary sometime in Sept. Completed a few weeks ago (received a postcard in the mail)--postmarked October 3rd--stamped sept 30th. It said it may take up to 12 weeks before hearing back from them. Interviewing from October to March.

Same story for me. It is only the 13th but I wonder how long it'll take to hear from them.

Anyone else from Oregon?

Anyone else from Oregon?[/QUOTE]

Nope, but I hope to become your neighbor:)

I wish they didnt want us to list our activities...it seems like they have thier own mini-amcas

I sent my secondary in several weeks ago! Still no completion notice. I guess I won't fret... but would like to know if any of you guys have received a completion notice. I'm really interested in this school. Now I wish I would have sent in the secondary earlier than I actually did, but I went on a little NY vacation to get away from the secondaries.

PS: My blockbuster DVDs are "Amityville Horror" and.. yes, "Desperate Housewives" for my gf. Hey those housewives are pretty hot! Especially Eva Longoria

OHSU has cashed my check and all of my letters were in over a month ago. Still have received no word from them (confirming a complete app). Called the other day, though, and got their bulls*it message telling you to hang up if you're wondering about LORs. And now I'm going on my rant that I've needed to get off my chest for awhile.

First of all, if you are a medical school, how dam hard is it to use technology to allow students to see their status? Postcards? Are you kidding me? This is the 21st century.

Secondly, if you aren't going to allow students any means of verifying what letters have been received, you have an OBLIGATION to have an employee willing to find out for you if you call or email. Nope, instead, OHSU has their stupid message telling you that your concern about letters only slows them down more. Maybe if they were on top of their s*it in the first place, I wouldn't be calling.

Sorry for the anger....getting really anxious and really frustrated with some of these schools. (Case Western too....how does it take 1 month to record a received letter online?) I'm really coming to respect the schools like UCSF and Stanford that respect their applicants by promptly recording received materials.

That is weird...the message. I dialed the dean's office by accident and the man who answered the phone forwarded me to a lady whom I asked if my letters of rec and my application were in. She said everything was good and that they sent me a postcard on the 30th. I received that card on the 5th. I live 5 miles from OHSU! Then I got an email from MCW requesting an interview and I received the interview information in about 3 days.

Oregon's mail appears to be slow and Wisconsin's mail appears to be fast.

SanDiegoSOD said:
I just heard back from OHSU yesterday, and I was verified about a month ago. You may have been screened pre-secondary. Hopefully this isnt the case, but if it is, I'm sorry :(
They only send out secondaries to those with a 24+ MCAT and 3.something+ GPA. That's what they told me when I called to ask. sorry. I don't remember the GPA cutoff.

mdung said:

Got an invite from OHSU today! (10/15,via the mail) The letter was dated 10/11, the envelope was postmarked 10/12. The date for the postcard for completion is listed above + everything else. They listed a bunch of dates to choose from--giving me until Dec. 15th to come in. The dates they give me are all on Tues, Wed, or Thurs. Sucks b/c I can't fly in on a weekend. Oh and btw I'm out-of-state for those wondering.

GL EVERYONE!

mdung said:
Got an invite from OHSU today! (10/15,via the mail) The letter was dated 10/11, the envelope was postmarked 10/12. The date for the postcard for completion is listed above + everything else. They listed a bunch of dates to choose from--giving me until Dec. 15th to come in. The dates they give me are all on Tues, Wed, or Thurs. Sucks b/c I can't fly in on a weekend. Oh and btw I'm out-of-state for those wondering.

GL EVERYONE!

nice!! congrats! when were you complete?

mdung said:

GL EVERYONE!

great! I'm so glad that the invites are finally coming. Congrats!

firebird69guy said:
nice!! congrats! when were you complete?

My postcard was also stamped 9/30 so maybe I'll hear good news soon!! Congrats!!

Congrats mdung, i'm just curious, are you Oregon resident or Out of state student? I also apply to Oregon, just sent out my secondary last week and I live in WA, haven't heard anything from them. I took the August MCAT, the results came out on FRiday, so I don't know when they are going to send the postcard or any news to me.

Anyway, congrats again for receiving OHSU interview, good luck, you will do great.

aspiringdoctor said:
Congrats mdung, i'm just curious, are you Oregon resident or Out of state student? I also apply to Oregon, just sent out my secondary last week and I live in WA, haven't heard anything from them. I took the August MCAT, the results came out on FRiday, so I don't know when they are going to send the postcard or any news to me.

Anyway, congrats again for receiving OHSU interview, good luck, you will do great.

I'm out-of-state. THanks! I'm excited.

okayplayer said:
mdung, what are your stats if you don't mind?

OOS but would LOVE an OHSU interview.

GPA's are near perfect. MCAT not so what near perfect, haha--but at least 30+

still no postcard.. they cashed my check on 09/29

Anyone else have an interview scheduled with them?

firebird69guy said:
still no postcard.. they cashed my check on 09/29

Anyone else have an interview scheduled with them?
I hate seeing the checks posted and still no love from all but one of my schools. Nothing but the sound of crickets from OHSU.

gozeemer said:
My AMCAS was verified sometime in mid-august and I received my secondary In mid-september. Im in the process of writing the personal statement for them. Its my number one choice for med school.

I was born out in Olympia, Washington, but Ive lived most my life in Chicago. I really want to go back to the pacific northwest (the best place in the states:) )

Hey there! I'm a Portland native, and my mom works at OHSU. I just wanted to agree with you, there is no place as beautiful as the Pacific Northwest! I hope I get in too. And everyone else, welcome! If we're classmates, I'll show you around :)

I got a postcard from them on 9/26. Still waiting to hear of any decisions. Oh yeah, I'm also OOS/URM.

rejected....again. I hate this state.

indo said:
rejected....again. I hate this state.
Oh well, at least i know already!
I am still in the dark regarding a million others...

Finally got my yellow postcard today! (Dated 10/24/05)

Hopefully an interview rolls in soon!!