OHSU vs. MSSM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LEdaddy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know both cities well and the quality of life in each. Anyone have any thoughts on a comparison of the institutions themselves?

Members don't see this ad.

Man, are you still on the fence? I thought you were OHSU for sure.

I feel like if you want to live on the east coast eventually, MSSM has an amazing reputation. Actually, nation-wide. OHSU has a great reputation on the west coast, but not so much anywhere else, is my feeling.

MSSM is supposed to be really "humanistic"; ie, training human beings to be fine upstanding and caring doctors, not some sort of doctor-cyborg-diagnosis machine.

Yeah, still on the fence, but I want to make the final decision in the next few weeks. Thanks for the input.

I don't know much about OHSU but I loved MSSM during my interview, and was also accepted there. I want to do Global health and they have awesome opportunities, I love the location, the small cozy feeling I got (classes in hospital building), the cooperative aspect of the school, and they also offered me an MPH scholarship where you do your MPH classes evening during M1-M2.

I was pretty sure I was going there until I got an acceptance from UCSF, and that really complicated matters. The high UCSF ranking is hard to ignore, and UCSF offers very awesome opportunities as MSSM, just without the NYC feel. I am torn!

anyway, I loved MSSM and I think it's a great place