OHSU VS. UIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolgorl

Reaction score
I'm super conflicted about picking either OHSU or UIC. I recently got into OHSU and was pretty set on UIC before. Can someone help me see the light? Pros and Cons of each listed below, I'm also out of state for both and tuition is virtually the same (expensive!)

OHSU

Pros:
1. really good program and reputation
2. good research opportunities
3. beautiful campus and hospital affiliations
4. Warm atmosphere
5. Portland could be a really cool experience for me to get more in touch with my outdoorsy, fit, artsy side.

Cons
1. not sure how I would like Portland (I'm currently living in LA and it's a bit different)
2. no other medical school schools in the vicinity to network
3. no summer after M1 :/

UIC
Pros:
1. really warm atmosphere when I went, I loved the people and felt like I could fit in there well
2. Chicago is a sick city and I'd love to give it a try1
3. Located in downtown Chicago, in proximity to a lot of other medical schools which allows for a lot of research and networking opportunities
4. You can tell the administration is very supportive and open to student feedback

Cons
1. Chicago is cold, not sure if I could handle lol and my friend who lives there has told me its a bit dangerous
2. Reputation of UIC isn't as good, heard that it's on the "decline"
3. no chance of becoming a Illinois resident and gaining in-state tuition

These are pros/ cons I can think of off the top of my head, but if anyone has any more knowledge on either program or opinion about where they would choose, drop a comment PLEASE. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Full disclosure, I recentlly committed to OHSU haha. But the no summer after M1 was a concern at first but after talking to a couple students it was nice to hear that they actually preferred the week long breaks between quarters/plus the remediation weekd after each block. They said it actually allowed them to relax vs. feel forced to do research or something over the summer! Portland is amazing, I am from San Diego so I understand the SoCal feel, but Portland is truly one of a kind. But if you don't love the outdoors it may feel weird.

I am from Wisconsin, but have been living in Eugene, OR for the past 4 years. I definitely prefer the PWN over the Midwest as a place to live. I know everyone knows the Midwest is cold - but it is seriously COLD. Your skin hurts as soon as you step outside some days. With windchill and humidity the temperature always feels colder than what is actually listed. Summers are humid too. Portland is also more beautiful. That being said - if you don’t care as much about the weather (like I clearly do) Chicago is also a really cool city and there is a lot to do! While living in the Midwest it is also worthwhile exploring other cities on weekends (if you have free time) such as Minneapolis, Madison, etc. I am faced with a similar decision, but will be moving back to the Midwest to be closer to family during med school. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions about living in both areas. I have been to both Portland and Chicago dozens of times. Congratulations on your acceptances!

I also want to mention that I wouldn’t put “dangerous” on your list of cons for Chicago. Yes parts of Chicago are more dangerous than others - but so are parts of LA. I have many friends who have lived there all of their lives and never had any problems.

Reactions: 1 users