OHSU vs UT Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSbound94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys! I hope everything is going well for you all. I want to explain the dilemma I am currently experiencing in choosing a dental school. I am trying to decide between the University of Tennessee and the Oregon Health and Science Center. I am considered Oos for both, however Tennessee allows me to apply for instate tuition after my first year (Oregon does not).
Here is some more info:
UT pros:
-Cheaper tuition (~305k)
-I've heard that their program is pretty good clinically
-Dr. Covington basically guarantees a job upon graduation
-Oh and Cheaper tuition! (cheaper cost of living too)
UT Cons:
-I hated the city of Memphis when I visited (extremely ghetto and subpar compared to all the other cities I've visited)
-I probably won't enjoy my time there over 4 years
OHSU Pros:
-Outstanding Clinical Reputation (you begin cleaning teeth with patients in your first year)
-New facility is absolutely gorgeous (newest in the nation) it really is state of the art.
-High GPA averages for entering class - (so must be a good school right? Lol)
-Portland is AWESOME (I will definitely enjoy my time here a lot more than in Memphis )
OHSU cons:
-High Tuition (~405k) and no instate tuition
-Students must do their own lab work (this has been a major complaint about OHSU over the years because it is tedious work that might be completely unnecessary in the future. However, the students there told me that they have been tapering down the amount of lab work required)
-I was told by my interviewer that Portland is extremely saturated with dentists so I probably won't practice there if I get in.
-HIGH COST OF LIVING AND TUITION

Is the cheaper school the smarter choice?
I rarely here anything about these 2 schools on sdn so please give me any feedback on these schools if you can. I know OHSU's reputation has been declining over the past few years but that's only because the students there right now are having to undergo many changes in terms of facilities and curriculum, which is unfortunate for them but the kinks will probably be sorted out by the time I am there.
Any input about both schools would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Portland native here. I cannot justify going to OHSU with a 100k difference between the two schools. We talk about numbers now, but will only know the difficulty in paying it off when its too late, best of luck.

Portland native as well! I would advocate for UT Memphis though, only because it is cheaper. You will be a dentist coming out, you will have a job every school you graduate from so it's not really a selling point. OHSU is an amazingly good school and you would love the city but I don't think an added 100k debt would really be worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Memphis is so much fun! I promise you that! The dental school doesn't really do a good job of showing the potential of the city. The school is in a more urban part of town, but there are so many great things about it!

I suggest looking at choose901.com!

No question, TN for 100K+ price difference. Put that 100K into your practice down the road.

I don't know that you're wrong about applying for instate Tennessee tuition... but what are your sources? I ask because there are schools generally known for giving students a break and giving them instate tuition, but I don't recall Tennessee ever being mentioned on those lists.

During my interview, someone asked the question, and I'll paraphrase dr covington's response:

"There are ways, but it's not easy and you have to be proactive. I know one way is to marry a TN resident. Fortunately the bursar makes those decisions, not me."

Last edited by a moderator:
So it seems like the consensus is to go with the cheaper school? I can't argue with that though. Does anyone in/from the UT program have any input?
As for the instate tuition issue, I have been told that it's is an annoying process but it is still doable. I will be call the financial aid department this week to figure out more details in this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

$3,500 a month for 10 years
vs
$4,660 a month for 10 years

OR

$2,116 a month for 25 years
vs
$2,810 a month for 25 years

In the end it's more than a $100k difference.

So it seems like the consensus is to go with the cheaper school? I can't argue with that though. Does anyone in/from the UT program have any input?
As for the instate tuition issue, I have been told that it's is an annoying process but it is still doable. I will be call the financial aid department this week to figure out more details in this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

With the exception of the Arkansas residents, the only people I know that got in state tuition after starting are ones who were married or got married and their spouse worked in TN. I would look into that a little more, lot of hearsay goes on in dental schools lol.

cheaper school. PM me and i will give you a million reasons why.