Ok...I'm mad now

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KHE

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I've been a member of these forums for over 2 years! How come I don't get a little diploma with "2+ Year Membership" next to my name?? :mad::mad::mad:

Members don't see this ad.

The "longevity icons" are being applied through a (slow -- to avoid system slowdowns) batch script to SDNers who have been members 2+ years and had a minimum of 100 posts/year. I'm told they should show up by the end of the month at the latest, otherwise let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
The "longevity icons" are being applied through a (slow -- to avoid system slowdowns) batch script to SDNers who have been members 2+ years and had a minimum of 100 posts/year. I'm told they should show up by the end of the month at the latest, otherwise let me know.
Says the mod with the 5+ year member icon :bow: Thanks r_salis!

HA! That's more like it! It's like being in the girl scouts! I want as many merit badges as I can get!

:thumbup:

What is it about cute little icons that turns us all into back into 5 year olds collecting stickers? I got unreasonably happy when I saw my 5-year badge. :D

Someone come up with a badge for me. A couple of you already have names for me, but it's not appropriate for public posting.

Here I thought this was some serious issue where KHE was going to break bad on somebody... I got all excited and rushed to read it. Turns out... just a little icon jealousy.;)

I'll take my two year icon elsewhere. :D

Hey! I've been a member of these forums for over 2 years! How come I don't get a little diploma with "2+ Year Membership" next to my name?? :mad::mad::mad:

Same here, buddy.:laugh:

I hooked you both up manually. NOW, how about Life Member icons for both of you?? :D:D:D You too, r_salis. I'm hitting up all the practicing docs on SDN.

HA! Yes! I demand that everyone on here marvel at my plethora of icons! :thumbup:

Now....what does becoming a life member entail?

It's a one time donation to SDN that confers permanent platinum-level donor benefits. No ads, you get 2000 :eek: PM's in your PM box, but best of all you get a cool shield (like mine) that never goes away. Then you'll have as many icons as I do.

We just re-did all of SDN's donor levels: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/payments.php

Life Member is 2nd from the top, right under platinum.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a one time donation to SDN that confers permanent platinum-level donor benefits. No ads, you get 2000 :eek: PM's in your PM box, but best of all you get a cool shield (like mine) that never goes away. Then you'll have as many icons as I do.

We just re-did all of SDN's donor levels: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/payments.php

Life Member is 2nd from the top, right under platinum.

Now wait a minute....

What would happen if I were to donate $15 for bronze membership, $30 for silver, $45 for gold, and then $60 for platinum? Would I actually get 4 different shields, or will each increase in donation remove the previous icon? Am I going to lose my smiley face icon?

HA! Yes! I demand that everyone on here marvel at my plethora of icons! :thumbup:

Now....what does becoming a life member entail?
For the record Ken, I will have a 3+ year icon before you.:laugh: Not to mention the life member icon once my accountant sends the check. If you hurry you could beat me to that one.

For the record Ken, I will have a 3+ year icon before you.:laugh: Not to mention the life member icon once my accountant sends the check. If you hurry you could beat me to that one.

Grrrrrrrr!!!! :mad:

I'm actually waiting to find out what happens if I donate at multiple levels. If I get more than one shield, then I'm going to donate at the bronze, silver, gold, and platinum levels! 4 icons for half the price of a lifetime membership!

YEESSSSS!!

Now wait a minute....

What would happen if I were to donate $15 for bronze membership, $30 for silver, $45 for gold, and then $60 for platinum? Would I actually get 4 different shields, or will each increase in donation remove the previous icon? Am I going to lose my smiley face icon?

Yes you would get all four shields. :laugh:

The smiley face icon goes with your SDN Benefactor subscription from last year's donation. It expires on 5/28/08.

Grrrrrrrr!!!! :mad:

I'm actually waiting to find out what happens if I donate at multiple levels. If I get more than one shield, then I'm going to donate at the bronze, silver, gold, and platinum levels! 4 icons for half the price of a lifetime membership!

YEESSSSS!!

:laugh:

Remember that all four icons will expire in a year. So you'll have to keep re-upping every year to keep all of them vs. paying once for a Life Membership. If you get the Life Membership I bet I can rig it so your smiley face stays forever. That way, you'd still have one more icon than Ben does. :smuggrin:

AH HAHAHAHAhahahaha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Now all you zombies hide your faces!!
(and for bonus points.....who can name the band that sings that song??)

Easy one...;-) The Hooters: All You Zombies

Sit on it, Chudner! :smuggrin: I demand that you marvel at my virtual cornucopia of merit badges!

Whoa... that's a LOT of icons.

:bow::bow:

Sit on it, Chudner! :smuggrin: I demand that you marvel at my virtual cornucopia of merit badges!

Ok Elder this is war.:boom:But since I can't match all of your icons due to that pathetic smiley face, I'll just have to enjoy the fact that my life membership icon is more manly.

Ok Elder this is war.:boom:But since I can't match all of your icons due to that pathetic smiley face, I'll just have to enjoy the fact that my life membership icon will still be prettier.

:laugh: Thanks for the laugh today, guys. Ben, I'm sure your schwartz is just as big as Ken's.

Easy one...;-) The Hooters: All You Zombies

YES! That is correct! :thumbup: Perhaps one of the top 5 most UNDERrated bands over the past 20 years, and they also happen to have a new album coming out. I strongly recommend everyone check out www.myspace.com/thehooters to catch a glimpse of the new tracks...in particular the unplugged version of I'm Alive.

Ok Elder this is war.:boom:But since I can't match all of your icons due to that pathetic smiley face, I'll just have to enjoy the fact that my life membership icon is more manly.

You see...I would have gone for the life membership, since I think SDN is a worthy resource, but the life membership icon is actually the SAME as the Platinum membership icon, which is slightly disappointing. I recommend that the life membership icon be changed to something much more cool, and then perhaps I will consider a life membership but ONLY in the event that I can keep all my other merit badges!

And now I want to be a staff writer too! how do I do that??

I recommend that the life membership icon be changed to something much more cool, and then perhaps I will consider a life membership but ONLY in the event that I can keep all my other merit badges!

And now I want to be a staff writer too! how do I do that??
:lol:
Ken, you crack me up. Just know that no matter how much they change the life member badge, if you keep all of your merit badges you will still look like that little boy scout that wore his uniform with all his patches and merit badges to school. You remember him, don't you? He was last seen getting beat up behind the bleachers by the cool kids.

:lol:
Ken, you crack me up. Just know that no matter how much they change the life member badge, if you keep all of your merit badges you will still look like that little boy scout that wore his uniform with all his patches and merit badges to school. You remember him, don't you? He was last seen getting beat up behind the bleachers by the cool kids.

Actually, I only lasted one year in the boy scouts because I absolutely hated camping and I sucked at arts and crafts. Sitting in the sun for 6 hours getting bitten by horse flies, with a fishing pole in the water of a polluted lake just was not very much fun to me. I'll be down at the Sheraton, thank you very much where they you bring the Mai Tai next to the pool.

I will however admit that sometimes in private, I like to dress up like a GIRL scout and spank myself with a hockey stick. :eek:

KIDDING....I'm kidding. I'm just kidding....everyone relax. I am pretty proud of my plethora of SDN badges though.

innocent0002.gif
innocent0006.gif
innocent0003.gif
devil-smiley-034.gif
innocent0009.gif

Best.Donation.Thread.Ever. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Now get all the other docs on here to donate too! :D

There currently is too much censorship on this site for me to consider supporting it. I have also yet to see an optometrist interviewed on the front page. There has been at least one ophthalmologist interview which included a childish slam on optometry.

Just as I will tell IU that I will never donate if the class sizes are not capped, I will not donate here unless the censorship is kept in check and MDs(or wannabes) don't have the right to get their jollies off without recourse.

Eyedoc1999 they will have to create a Walmart blue vest icon for you :D

There currently is too much censorship on this site for me to consider supporting it. I have also yet to see an optometrist interviewed on the front page. There has been at least one ophthalmologist interview which included a childish slam on optometry.

Just as I will tell IU that I will never donate if the class sizes are not capped, I will not donate here unless the censorship is kept in check and MDs(or wannabes) don't have the right to get their jollies off without recourse.

Hell, I can answer this and I'm not even a mod. Any censorship done here is an attempt to keep things civilized. In the other forum where I see you about, things just get downright nasty. Its gotten to the point where people are asking Paul to put up some rules to force everyone to act like decent people. Even here several years back, there were fewer mods looking out for everything and some of those threads were a perfect example of how bad things can get (search for threads by user name kinetic).

Also, never until the thread:

Do you support Optometrists doing surgery? - ODs allowed to do scalpel surgery in OK!

Is removed as a sticky on the OMD forum.

I'll come up with my own Poll:

Do you support ophthalmologists doing primary eye care since they have very little training in it? I mean that's just as ridiculous.

That thread was an attempt to confine all OD/MD bickering to a single place. If that weren't there, we would have had dozens of other cat fighting threads popping up over there. Go to Pre-Allo and look at all the AA threads to see why that was done.

That being said, nothing's been posted there in over a year and very few bickering threads in that time either - so I'm with you on destickying the thread.

I'm in charge of the interviews for the front page. I'll be happy to interview an optometrist.

You are correct that we've had one ophthalmologist interviewed for the front page. You can't extrapolate that into any type of conspiracy to suppress optometrists on SDN. In fact, when we got complaints about the perceived bashing of OD's in the ophthalmologist's profile, we removed those comments: Dr. Ahumada, DO.

There is, as far as I know, no censorship of this Optometry forum. You've got two optometrists and an optometry student modding it, so I'd be very surprised. We don't allow personal attacks, name-calling, the F-word or bigotry. But keeping the forum free of that junk isn't censorship.

We have five optometry advisors on SDN: Ben Chudner, KHE, 362.02, DrGump and Doc Watson. That's more than most professions on SDN have.

If I were to remove the OD Surgery sticky in the Ophthalmology forum, that would be censorship. They are entitled to their opinion. As long as OMD's aren't coming to the optometry forum to bash (and vice versa) everyone is entitled to think what they want and discuss their viewpoints (within the TOS) in their home forums.

I'd love to profile an OD for the front page, so talk amongst yourselves and find someone willing to do it. It isn't anonymous: whoever chooses to be interviewed should be willing to use their real name and provide information about where they work, etc. It doesn't have to be someone currently on SDN. If you know an OD who has a really interesting career and want to ask them, feel free. You can pass along their contact information to me and I'll take care of it.

Thanks, All4 you answered everything I was formulating in my head after I read Indiana's posts. We moderate the OD forum to keep it from turning into a forum like the Princeton Review forum or on some days.. ODwire.

We don't stop discourse. We only step in when it turns into bashing, name calling, misogyny , or bigotry. Usually, the users are good at monitoring themselves.

We have a volunteer for the front page interview. I just wrote the questions and will be sending them out shortly. :)

Hopefully Chunder or KHE. I'd like it to be a successful private practice doc, hospital based, or VA doc.

I agree that I would not be a good choice for writing an interview. I care too much about optometry and am way too opinionated. :laugh:

I'm in charge of the interviews for the front page. I'll be happy to interview an optometrist.

You are correct that we've had one ophthalmologist interviewed for the front page. You can't extrapolate that into any type of conspiracy to suppress optometrists on SDN. In fact, when we got complaints about the perceived bashing of OD's in the ophthalmologist's profile, we removed those comments: Dr. Ahumada, DO.

There is, as far as I know, no censorship of this Optometry forum. You've got two optometrists and an optometry student modding it, so I'd be very surprised. We don't allow personal attacks, name-calling, the F-word or bigotry. But keeping the forum free of that junk isn't censorship.

We have five optometry advisors on SDN: Ben Chudner, KHE, 362.02, DrGump and Doc Watson. That's more than most professions on SDN have.

If I were to remove the OD Surgery sticky in the Ophthalmology forum, that would be censorship. They are entitled to their opinion. As long as OMD's aren't coming to the optometry forum to bash (and vice versa) everyone is entitled to think what they want and discuss their viewpoints (within the TOS) in their home forums.

I'd love to profile an OD for the front page, so talk amongst yourselves and find someone willing to do it. It isn't anonymous: whoever chooses to be interviewed should be willing to use their real name and provide information about where they work, etc. It doesn't have to be someone currently on SDN. If you know an OD who has a really interesting career and want to ask them, feel free. You can pass along their contact information to me and I'll take care of it.

Okay, then we should have a sticky bashing ophthalmology in the similar vein. Well I'm not really into stooping to their level, but it would be nice to have a good explanation of the education and training of ODs. Heck, they (OMDs) misrepresent ODs all the time and spend millions of dollars to impart a false public image.

Thanks, All4 you answered everything I was formulating in my head after I read Indiana's posts. We moderate the OD forum to keep it from turning into a forum like the Princeton Review forum or on some days.. ODwire.

We don't stop discourse. We only step in when it turns into bashing, name calling, misogyny , or bigotry. Usually, the users are good at monitoring themselves.

:thumbup:

It is odd why Paul Farkas on ODwire allows bad language and abusive attacks. I don't think it's "some days"--it's practically every day. He says he is for free speech but frankly I think it goes too far.

I would rather spend more time in this forum since it is moderated but there aren't many practicing optometrists. Nothing wrong with a lot of students talking, it's just that most talk doesn't involve me. Been there done that. Here to help though... ;)

I am pretty proud of my plethora of SDN badges though.

What does it mean? It says you've only been around for two years so what did you do: Give out four consecutive checks and said, "Where's my badges?" :D

People who have one piddly, measly ol' badge are not allowed to comment.
:smuggrin:

Real docs with self respect don't need no stinking badges.

Or to quote a classic: "flair"