OK , lets get this straight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tik-tik-clock

CraziiiDesiiKuriii
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am confused now. People claim that the real MCAT is like EK passages??????

All AAMC's but 9 were like EK. So should I not bother about how I did on aamc 9? If I should, then I dont know how EK is similar to the real thing honestly.

Or what people were really trying to say is that, the question types are the same, but the passages are more uninteresting and not intelligible?

Members don't see this ad.

I've noticed that too. Everyone says EK is the most similar to AAMC. But AAMC passages seem to be more abstract and difficult to read.

Anyone else?

Well, obviously no test prep company can make exams that exactly mirror the AAMC exams. EK's are the MOST similar than any test prep company.

AlisaGirlX said:
I've noticed that too. Everyone says EK is the most similar to AAMC. But AAMC passages seem to be more abstract and difficult to read.

Anyone else?

AAMC exams are less interesting than EK's. The same is true for the MCAT. It makes them seem harder and more abstract, even though I think the level of difficulty is the same. A passage about Foucault will seem harder than one on potty training.

Members don't see this ad :)
ADeadLois said:
AAMC exams are less interesting than EK's. The same is true for the MCAT. It makes them seem harder and more abstract, even though I think the level of difficulty is the same. A passage about Foucault will seem harder than one on potty training.
I dunno .... potty training is a pretty difficult topic. Just ask my three year old! ;) :laugh:

I think aamc verbal is a lot harder than ek verbal I have done ek verbal tests 1 -8 and gotten 9s and 10s, whereas on aamc verbal i get 7s and 8s. I dont understand why these prep companies don't make verbal tests with uniteresting passages like the aamc verbal. Also why does EK not have two passages per test with 10 questions!? Why are the EK tests on average shorter than a AAMC test and finally why does EK (kaplan and tpr as well) give line references when the AAMC does not. These are simple aspects that would make the prep companies materials much better!

BrutusBuckeyeMD said:
I think aamc verbal is a lot harder than ek verbal I have done ek verbal tests 1 -8 and gotten 9s and 10s, whereas on aamc verbal i get 7s and 8s. I dont understand why these prep companies don't make verbal tests with uniteresting passages like the aamc verbal. Also why does EK not have two passages per test with 10 questions!? Why are the EK tests on average shorter than a AAMC test and finally why does EK (kaplan and tpr as well) give line references when the AAMC does not. These are simple aspects that would make the prep companies materials much better!

But AAMC's answer choices are reasonable compared to the prep companies. 2 are really wrong and among the other 2, if you have understood the passage, it is easy to get the right one.

However, biology questions and the answers seem tougher than VR. The passages in biology-they come across as though, some important information was skipped when writing them.

AAMC is MOST similar to the real thing (obviously.) But of the practice tests put out by commercial tesst prep companies, EK Verbal is the most like the real thing (i.e. more realiztic than Kaplan, TPR, etc.)

Would you guys say that EK Verbal is harder or easier than Kaplan verbal?
I don't have any EK prep materials :S.

Also, how do Kaplan practice sets compare to the real thing?

I've been using their materials all along and I hope I haven't screwed myself :S

I actually went up a point on AAMC VR to a 12 from an 11 on kaplans. I like the AAMC question style better bc it seemed more about, whats the main idea of the passage, and what can you infer (ie if you understood it you could get most the questions) whereas kaplan's verbal seem wayyyy to detail based. I do think Kaplan verbal was good though for practice (like the verbal workbook I did almost all of them, and read the rationale after every question even the ones I got right).