Ok, now dont think Im a nerd but.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anmol

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what anatomy, biochem and physiology textbooks they use at PCOM. I have some free time and was thinking about starting to read up on any one of these, anatomy and phisology would be the priorities since I already took biochem as an undergrad. So if possible, can any of you PCOMers out there lemme know which texts you guys use for these classes. Thanx!!

anmol

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I don't think you are a nerd. I was thinking the same thing since I think I will be attending PCOM next year also. My friend whose a MSII thinks I am crazy. He says that I need to take it easy, b/c next fall is going to hit me really hard. I believe him, but I don't want to waste time either. I think I am going to do a little something--nothing drastic. The top priority right now is making some money right now for me though.

toogood1

Originally posted by toogood1
Hey, I don't think you are a nerd. I was thinking the same thing since I think I will be attending PCOM next year also. My friend whose a MSII thinks I am crazy. He says that I need to take it easy, b/c next fall is going to hit me really hard. I believe him, but I don't want to waste time either. I think I am going to do a little something--nothing drastic. The top priority right now is making some money right now for me though.

toogood1

Do not. I repeat do not start buying medical school textbooks and begin reading them now as a precursor for med school. Next fall will hit all of you very hard, and the best thing you can do with yourselves is have alot of fun and do things (like travel) that you won't get to do while in med school. I am an MS1 at PCOM currently and can tell you that it is going to be challenging and difficult to wade through the mountain of material that will be thrown at you, but all I can say is that whenever it starts to get tough I think about all the fun I had surfing in Australia and Indonesia in the months leading up to school starting in August.

Also, the majority (95%) of the exam questions come from lecture notes so buying a bunch of books is really not necessary (or probable) given the amount of time between exams. You will all learn the essential books to buy: Netter/Moore for anatomy...Robbins for Path. As for the other stuff go by the lecture notes and you will be fine. I think that instead of buying a bunch of med textbooks, take a few classes that will give you a good foundation for the core classes taught in the first year. The classes I would suggest you have before matriculating are: biochem (absolutely essential because of the speed with which we cover it), microbiology courses, and histology. Other than that, enjoy the next few months and worry about med school in August.

peace

metsn02 said it perfectly.

Wait until you get here to worry about that.

If you REALLY want a list, PM me and I will see what I can do for you.

But not every student bought every book. I didn't use all the books I bought and there are others I was buying half way through the term. And used books are cheap as hell.

Also, as mentioned above, 95% comes from lecture notes, not the books (thank God for scribe service). The textbooks are primarily for reference and clarification if there is a discrepancy.

Spend your summer relaxing and making money. Two things you will soon learn to appreciate once August 2003 comes rolling 'round!

Best of luck.