ok pre-vets - inspire me!

Started by lailanni
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lailanni

c/o 2012
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

Third year vet student here. I'm spending the weekend getting ready for an especially miserable week of school and I'm having one of those "why on earth did I WANT to do this?!?!?" moments.

So....anyone want to interject some inspiration remind me why? I figured if anyone could inspire me it'd be you guys! 🙂
 
Well, at this point, you're more than halfway done. Plus, this is your last fall semester of classes and tests. Might as well keep on going - you've made it so far, so why fall off the wagon now? :d

I'm sure someone else will have something more bubbly to say.
 
Well, I'm not a pre-vet but.....

Trust me. You know its worth it when you save your first patient and see the tears of gratitude in the owner's eyes. The first time someone calls you doctor. The first time you teach someone something and their eyes light up like "Really? Wow!" Every day I'm teaching students on the necropsy floor and I hear "Dr. Whtsthfrequency?" or I'm in consult with a clinician regarding a biopsy and feel like we are both on equal footing instead of a poor fourth year running around doing scutwork, its really nice (and I mean that both in kind of an ego way in addition to a serious way). Keep at it.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Speaking as someone who wants to open a practice shortly after vet school...that blog is inspiring, to say the least. 😀
 
is there something else you'd want to do?? i mean, i assume one (of many ) of the reasons u went into vet school was because it was the only thing you could see yourself doing. would you rather work in a biotech company? or something else? UGHH when i think of what else i could be doing it makes me SOOO happy to know where i am. i really think id be depressed in another job like that, especially knowing ull be there for 50 yrs. yuck! just think, only 1.5 years left and you'll be doing w/e you WANT to do in vet med! 😀

also echo what whtsthfrequency said, nice post! 🙂
 
Hey all,

Third year vet student here. I'm spending the weekend getting ready for an especially miserable week of school and I'm having one of those "why on earth did I WANT to do this?!?!?" moments.

So....anyone want to interject some inspiration remind me why? I figured if anyone could inspire me it'd be you guys! 🙂


suck it up, my dear 😀
 
Keep going you are almost there! Just think about those clients that look at you with gratefulness in their eyes and thank you repeatedly for helping their beloved companion and then later send you thank you cards. That is what it is all about.

Like today I had to help this elderly lady and her daughter learn how to feed their cat through a feeding tube. I got to go from teaching them how to mix up the food with the meds and get it into the syringe to showing them how to actually put the food in the tube. When I brought the cat in with the feeding tube in the elderly lady was quite upset and started crying. I helped to comfort her, make her feel better, and then teach her how to give the food through the tube. It was such a great feeling to see her go from being upset to being able to actually feed the cat through the feeding tube.

That is what it is about: Helping clients to help their pets.
 
I read around this forum up around the time the VMCAS and other applications are due. It really reminds me of all I went through to get in school and all the stress I experienced. I remember how lucky I am and how grateful I am to be on my way to the career I wanted so badly. The application process? Not something I'd ever want to go through again.

Of course, then I have a bad exam week and lose perspective once more. 😀
 
Last edited:
Of course, then I have a bad exam week and lose perspective once more. 😀

Those will do that to you 🙂 Dang exam weeks!

I just have to make it through Friday! Been on 5 weeks of surgery rotation + class + 2 big exams this week. On 3-4 hours of sleep a night since ... I can't remember the last time I got more than 6 hours of sleep. No food in the fridge unless you count expired milk and 2 frozen burritos. Been at school 7am to 10pm today. Back for rounds at 6am tomorrow morning. Exam at 7am. (which I still need to finish studying for -- another night of 3 hours of sleep....)

Just a little longer and sleep is mine!
 
Those will do that to you 🙂 Dang exam weeks!

I just have to make it through Friday! Been on 5 weeks of surgery rotation + class + 2 big exams this week. On 3-4 hours of sleep a night since ... I can't remember the last time I got more than 6 hours of sleep. No food in the fridge unless you count expired milk and 2 frozen burritos. Been at school 7am to 10pm today. Back for rounds at 6am tomorrow morning. Exam at 7am. (which I still need to finish studying for -- another night of 3 hours of sleep....)

Just a little longer and sleep is mine!

i dont know how you can do that! i will NEVER do that even when i'm a 3rd-4th yr lol i would die. before my first exam this week i had 3 hrs of sleep over 2 nights and after my exam monday i could barely function. i slept for 11 hrs that night lol

it also doesnt help that i dont drink coffee, soda, energy drinks...so when im low on sleep there is a point where "positive attitude" can no longer keep you awake lol