ok to be abroad while applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kings2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am going to be taking a year off after I graduate and apply for med school class of 2005. I would like to go abroad for at least part of the time, but I'm concerned about being abroad when secondaries roll around and for interviews. Does anyone have experience with this? Would it be a better idea to apply next june, go abroad june- september and then come back to work in the medical field in the US for the rest of the year? When is the earliest that interviews start?

Also, does anyone know of good programs abroad (spanish speaking, premed related), any that jobs that provide compensation? or other suggestions for year- off activities?
thanks so much!

kings2

Members don't see this ad.

I went backpacking through Europe last summer and just decided to wait to apply this summer. I made straight A's this whole year, took Biochem and got a lot of clinical experience. This year also gave me a chance to work closer with my professors and get what I'm sure are better letters of rec. I would go live it up and travel, it sure beats doing what I am doing now, looking at AMCAS and my app status everyday. I don't think I would apply and travel abroad though. Somehow I think it would make secondaries a lot harder to get at. Plus you should relax when you travel. Oh yeah go to Cinque Terre Italy if you go to Europe, one of the best places I visited over there. Hope this helps

i was in riomaggiore this summer. awesome.

and when does the app come online? because i would think that you can fill it out and then go abroad, trusting someone to hit send for you. then youd be able to go abroad for a month at least, right? and come back in time for secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent a month in Europe during the application process, but did so after all the secondaries and most of my interviews were done. The application process is not convenient by any stretch of the imagination. When the secondaries arrive (on the individual school's schedule) you may have only two weeks to submit it. Interviews are held at weird intervals and you often have little to no choice on when the interview will be. I'm not sure how you'd work out travelling back to the states several times for interviews.

When I was out of the country, I notified each school of where they could send any time-sensitive documents and let them know that I'd be checking my email often. While I was gone, I received an acceptance delivered to my parent's home. My mom excitedly told me this and then forgot to read the rest of the letter - which told me I had two weeks to accept and hold my place. I was lucky that this happened at the end of my vaccation and I got home just in time to let the school know I was interested!!! If you're going to leave after interviews, make sure you leave specific instructions with a responsible person regarding all of your school correspondence!

i took a year off after graduation and basically did AMCAS and secondaries from abroad. it definitely makes things harder to apply from abroad but it's not impossible. you will find that some schools, especially the more prestigious ones, are not very accomodating, even if you have a legitimate reason for being abroad. for example, some schools only send correspondences via postal mail and refuse to make exceptions. NYU sent a crucial piece of information regarding my application via snail mail and i received it two months too late. another case in point, UCLA only schedules interviews by mail (that means no phone calls or e-mails). if you choose to do your applications abroad, it's a good idea to make sure you have everything you may need, including a typewriter, letter size paper, photo, transcript, letters of recommendation, printer, computer with fast internet access, etc. you will also need to come back for interview season, which can last anywhere between october - march. scheduling interviews can be a challenge but it has been my experience that most schools who are considering you as a prospective student will accomodate your travel schedule. the schools who were not receptive to my needs/requests ended up not offering me an interview. good luck!

I'm going abroad until mid-August, and my AMCAS is being verified now...Do the secondaries have strict deadlines?

Along the lines of this topic,

when should you expect to get an interview? I know it's very dependent on the school and the applicant but what is the absolute earliest you could expect to set up an interview?

thanks

I'm going to Nicaragua and Honduras for 5 weeks in about 6 hours! :D :) :love:

Wow, it's pretty cool to see others going abroad this summer as well...

I'm leaving for Ecuador tomorrow and will be returning the end of August. I contacted a couple medical schools and the uniform policy seems to be to just attach a cover letter with the applicant's original signature with the secondary (assuming the applicant can't physically sign the secondary). That's what I plan to do, in addition to checking my e-mail often and having my mom as a secretary (yes I know I'm spoiled) :D .

Bye bye USA!

Sachin