OK to mention names?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work at the same hospital as a very famous congenital cardiac surgeon. Seeing his work has been a major inspiration to me since I also want to do surgery. Do you think it's OK to mention his name in a response to a question on a secondary? It's for Hopkins, so I don't know if they'd get all pissy and be like "Oh yeah? We're Hopkins, and we're WAY better than him." (Hard to explain, but mentioning his name works better flow-wise and wording-wise than just referring to "a great cardiac surgeon." Plus, they will know where I work and probably know that he works there too.)

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be fine. Someone once dropped my brother's name in a secondary in a very flattering way and it made me smile. (The applicant had know way of knowing that my bro had a sister on the adcom at that school.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be fine. Someone once dropped my brother's name in a secondary in a very flattering way and it made me smile. (The applicant had know way of knowing that my bro had a sister on the adcom at that school.)

You're sure about this? Sometimes people are sneaky?

i said, "when I was shadowing Dr. X, blah blah." If you are doing it like that, it is fine. Do you have any other connection with this surgeon other than creeping around the hospital. if no, it will likely look like name dropping. if yes, including the name is fine.

i said, "when I was shadowing Dr. X, blah blah." If you are doing it like that, it is fine. Do you have any other connection with this surgeon other than creeping around the hospital. if no, it will likely look like name dropping. if yes, including the name is fine.

Meh, not exactly. I mean, I float to CICU on occasion so he vaguely knows who I am but that's about it. Occasionally I email him to hook my nursing students up with a shadowing opportunity in the OR, but I'm not 100% sure he puts my face with my name. But I'm not like "oh yeah, when my buddy Dr. X and I were having coffee the other day," etc. LOL