ok you guys! another what are my chances thread :-)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurebamapt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am applying to alabama state's DPT program for MAY 2010. I have an overall gpa of 3.2 and a science gpa of 1100. I have done 100 hours of inpatient experience however it was only one setting :-( I am extremely unconfident of my chances because they only accept 24 students each year. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

GPA below average, GRE below average, Observation hours below average... It's not rocket science to guess that you have a below average chance of getting in. If you're an in state resident it's a little better.

ok your input was appreciated minus the smart aleck comment. thanks!!!!!
people ask that question all the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't you compare your stats to others who have posted in the GPA, GRE, Stats thread at the very top? That is your competition... You're stats are below mine and I am nervous about getting into the school I want. If you don't get in this year, improve yourself for next...if you don't get in again improve yourself again. Why give up? Also...no point in worrying about it until you finally get the rejection letter.

It depends upon the program. Do they interview? Do they consider the whole applicant or just the GPA & GRE? What is your prior work experience? What valuable skills have you gained that will help make you a good PT? What is your GPA for your pre-reqs? Each program is different and it will just come down to whether your a good match for that particular school. Some schools have contacted me for interviews, some have not...I'm trying not to over analyze and just be OK with that.

Are you putting all your eggs into one basket? I would advise against it. If you don't get in, spend the next year improving your stats and apply again next year. Ask the program how you can become a more competitive applicant. You can't change anything at this point for this year, so try not to worry: I know, easier said than done! :)

Good luck!

thanks for your answers. i currently work at the front desk of a pt office. there is not an interview so that is y i am so nervous. but thanks for the input

My GPA is lower than yours and I am still trying and hoping. I applied to a lot of schools because I am not feeling very confident, but what I would say is get more experience.
Try to ask lots of questions at the place you work for little maneuvers you see and aren't 100 percent sure why they are doing it. The therapists will notice that and if you have to reapply, a great LOR will come out of it. I wish you luck! Waiting really is the hardest part.