OKAPS, where did my life go wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jokestr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a question I was asking myself on this beautiful Saturday morning...I am 30 years old, sitting in a dark quiet room, taking a 4 hour test with a scantron and two #2 pencils. All I could think was "Where did my life go wrong?"

Hope everyone else had as much fun as me.
PEACE

Members don't see this ad.

I've been having the same thoughts over the last few months. While your friends in the non-medical professions are out golfing and doing other fun stuff your stuck inside reading for hours on end. And I love constantly explaining to friends and family why I still have to study depsite the fact I'm not in school anymore.

so the tests never end i see...thought i was done w/ the worst of it with medical school. i'm amazed at how you all find time to study for OKAP's during residency. not sure how eager I am to find out! but it'll be a lot nicer after residency...something to look forward to. congrats on being done w/ OKAPs this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
It'll be a lot nicer after residency.... I think not:

the OKAPs are important, but they're just preparation for the real thing: the written boards:mad:. Then you take the oral boards:confused: Same feeling: Why am I 32 years old and spending my weekends memorizing this esoteria so I can get my board certificate?

Then if you actually pass you can start working on your MOC (mainetnance of certification).... maybe I should have just went to optometry school: 4 years and you're an eye doctor, no weekends, no call...

This post is depressing me. I'm just thinking about making it through the remaining 2 months of what has turned out to be a very demanding intern year. Something some day has to get better. Scantrons and #2 pencils, huh?

This post is depressing me. I'm just thinking about making it through the remaining 2 months of what has turned out to be a very demanding intern year. Something some day has to get better. Scantrons and #2 pencils, huh?
It is still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than intern year. It is a lot of work. And there is still a steep learning curve. However its learning about eyeballs! But it is much more fun than managing blood sugars, doing rectal exams, arranging ECF care for inpatients, and all of the other fun stuff you do as an intern.

It is still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than intern year. It is a lot of work. And there is still a steep learning curve. However its learning about eyeballs! But it is much more fun than managing blood sugars, doing rectal exams, arranging ECF care for inpatients, and all of the other fun stuff you do as an intern.

I agree. We have the ability to impact lives in a way that very few people can. Sure, studying for OKAPS is pain, but it's just practice. Your scores [should] matter to very few and should really serve as a self-assesment for what you need to spend more time on for your written boards.

I agree...I still love doing ophtho and all the good and bad things about it. I just felt so childish the other day taking a silly scantron test. I haven't taken a scantron test since high school, and I thought I would be past these at this point in my life.
The actual surgeries and learning are GREEAAATT.