okaps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RestoreSight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Glad okaps are done. Can anyone comment on how these test scores are used and what is a good score for a first year? I've heard some fellowship programs use them more than others for screening applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Glad okaps are done. Can anyone comment on how these test scores are used and what is a good score for a first year? I've heard some fellowship programs use them more than others for screening applicants.
What the test scores are used for varies from program to program. Some seem to put very little importance on your score others use it to put people on academic remediation or probation. Overall I think most programs will definitely use it as a means to self reflection on the areas one needs to study a bit more on.

Your score is compared to those only in your year group so a 50th percentile score tells you only that you are in that percentile amongst first years, not all takers. I have heard quotes that over 30th percentile is adequate..

As to fellowships again it varies. The one I applied for and matched didn't put too much weight on the OKAP.

When I applied for fellowship, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the programs asked for my OKAP scores. Though not originally intended for this purpose, I think some fellowships want this information to gain even more "insight" into a particular candidate. I doubt an awesome OKAP score would be the dealbreaker in gaining a prestigious fellowship spot. But perhaps it acts as "tiebreaker" between two candidates whom the interviewers were ranking similarly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump. Well... That was fun...

Turning my brain off for a while in 3... 2... 1...
Turn-Your-Brain-Off.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you don't outright embarrass yourself on the OKAPs, the OKAPs simply don't matter. The test was originally designed for residents to gauge how well they were doing, at least in theory. It's now morphed into our specialty's version of the in-service exam (like the ABSITE for general surgery). Luckily it hasn't turned into what the USMLE Step scores have become for fellowship placement. Some fellowship places will ask for your scores, but that's it. My OKAP scores were only mentioned once, and it was just in passing. I destroyed it last year but I personally felt it had no influence on how I was ranked for fellowship.

Now, indirectly, how it would affect your fellowship placement may be in how your attendings frame your letters of rec. If you always did poorly, for instance, your letter writings may not comment on your ability to learn and assimilate information quickly, or that it was a weakness you had during residency. Conversely, if you did well, your attending may comment on how well you did. After taking this test for the third time, I see now why fellowships place such little importance on it - many of the questions asked on the OKAPs aren't clinically useful, or involve knowledge only a smaller subset of the ophthalmology community needs. For instance, a general ophthalmologist does not need to know that the TIMP3 gene is responsible for Sorsby Macular Dystrophy to take care of patients in a typical general ophthalmology practice. Even some of answers to some OKAP questions are debatable among experts. Really, it's just to see if you happened to study the exact answer for the exact question.

Last, the reason to do well on the OKAPs is to see how well you fare when it comes to the boards (WQEs). As long as you're not in the bottom 25% consistently, you're fine. In fact, I've heard of plenty of sub-specialty attendings who've made low OKAP scores, yet they're board certified and are the ones giving the review courses now.

the TIMP3 gene is responsible for Sorsby Macular Dystrophy

Bah, I got this one wrong!

But it's true, attendings do talk and if you have lower scores compared to a coresident who is applying for the same fellowships, you may be damned with "faint praise". A lot of fellowships did ask me for my score, as well.

I don't think the OKAPs are the most important thing in the world. Probably the most important thing is your day-to-day performance in the clinics and OR. But, they do serve as another metric for your attendings to judge you, especially for their letters of recommendations for fellowship. If you are scoring 99th percentile on every OKAP, it will definitely get mentioned on your letters. And fellowship directors will take note.

On another note, what are people using these days to study for their OKAPs? What was the most useful and relevant tool? In my day, all we had was Chern and reading the BCSC books cover-to-cover (annoying)!

I used BCSC and Friedmann and wrote notes into my Friedmann from ophtho questions. I actually think this would have been a very effective tool for me to ace the exam. Unfortunately I never read Friedmann cover to cover and never more than once, so I think more review and less BCSC would have been better. I do think without reading BCSC I couldn't have read Friedmann and understood it. This is the sucky part about being a first year.

I would supplement pathology. We have a lecture series that is ok, but I might actually use the Fine Book or something.

I don't think the OKAPs are the most important thing in the world. Probably the most important thing is your day-to-day performance in the clinics and OR. But, they do serve as another metric for your attendings to judge you, especially for their letters of recommendations for fellowship. If you are scoring 99th percentile on every OKAP, it will definitely get mentioned on your letters. And fellowship directors will take note.

On another note, what are people using these days to study for their OKAPs? What was the most useful and relevant tool? In my day, all we had was Chern and reading the BCSC books cover-to-cover (annoying)!

At our program it's Friedman's review book, Last Minute Optics, and Ophthoquestions. At our program, reading the BCSC series completely is just unrealistic. Even some of the questions aren't in the BCSC series! Ophthoquestions definitely seems to be the best bang for your buck. I've seen questions that were very similar on the OKAPs on Ophthoquestions. Definitely going to keep using it for the WQEs.

My 2 cents. I did just fine on OKAPS last year, but OKAPS is a pretty irrelevant exam. For some reason this year seemed even less relevant than last year. Without citing specific questions, there is no useful purpose to know obscure optics definitions or be able to name tools seen in clinic. The pictures are awful and the clinical applications this year were nil. I think there was twice as much optics this year as last year and all of it was irrelevant to practicing ophthalmologists AND residents in training.

I agree with everything that has been mentioned. Do well and its something that can be cited in a letter of rec, do poorly and it may cause you grief from your program. Beyond that it just seems like a ridiculous waste of time.

dantt -- I actually think that's important. If Mac Tel is a vascular disease you'd try to treat it with anti-VEGF or other vascular agents (as many people have tried). But since we now know it's degeneration of muller cells... well then we need another treatment. Also with early diagnosis you'll see degenerative changes prior to vascular changes.

I hope my residents got that question right as luckily I happened to teach it to them last week... will have to ask them monday.

I'm with Dusn. That is why Mac Tel doesn't respond to anti-vegf.

I didn't even know what Mac tel was before the exam, but I think I got that question right :-D

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23974952

Other studies, such as above, have confirmed the Mac Tel findings as well :)

But agree, it was a hard question if you had never read about it, and def not from the BCSC..

Maybe I'm too simple but I think you could reason through that if you know your stuff in general. Kinda rule everything else out with all the details you're given.

The test was hard and I missed a lot of stuff that was probably easy. If I had spent more time and been patient I probably would have gotten more questions right. I just rushed and wanted to get out of there. I think how you take the test is really important.

Ah well it's over :) time to focus on learning for clinic and catching up on shows!

But agree, it was a hard question if you had never read about it, and def not from the BCSC..

That study does not show the pathophysiology

"
Ninety-seven eyes with MacTel Type 2 that were suitable for analysis were identified. The OLM was intact in all 48 eyes with inner retinal cavities without photoreceptor disruption. By contrast, the OLM was absent or disrupted in 8 of 10 eyes with photoreceptor disruption.
"
The study didn't really confirm the mac tel findings. So basically we have a board question on a hypothesis based on a sample size of one. Seriously?

That study does not show the pathophysiology

"
Ninety-seven eyes with MacTel Type 2 that were suitable for analysis were identified. The OLM was intact in all 48 eyes with inner retinal cavities without photoreceptor disruption. By contrast, the OLM was absent or disrupted in 8 of 10 eyes with photoreceptor disruption.
"
The study didn't really confirm the mac tel findings. So basically we have a board question on a hypothesis based on a sample size of one. Seriously?

Well, ok. Did not confirm, but I think this study does support the role of Muller cells.
Realistically speaking, I think it's hard to come across studies (such as the postmortem analysis of n=1) showing pathophysiology of uncommon diseases. In such a case, we common rely on imaging to enhance our understanding; to check the hypothesis suggested by smaller previous studies and so on. Yes, more work/more studies would help, but I still think this study deserves merit :)
As stated earlier, it forms a way of understanding why anti-VEGFs dont work..

PS: I am not a coauthor!