Okay, UW...

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Mansoor, May 28, 2008.

1. Mansoor

Mansoor Member

...is definitely getting harder as I do more questions.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. peter90036

peter90036 not out fishing

Attending Physician
    they only have 1 pool of questions, its the same Qs everybody does

4. jeffsleepy

jeffsleepy Senior Member

Maybe you're getting stupider. :(

5. mudphudwannabe

mudphudwannabe Senior Member

MD/PhD Student
    Don't worry. I never noticed UW get easier. Although my scores improved a bit over the 3 weeks I studied, there was only a very slight upward trend (my scores were scattered all over the place). If I had studied for longer, maybe it would have seemed easier at some point, but I wouldn't worry about it. Learn as much as you can from it and don't sweat your scores too much.

6. Tiger26

Tiger26 Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I'm a week and half in and my average has gone up 1% (65%), which kinda sucks cause I've been studying my tail off, although I've got about 3 weeks left

7. Lany

Medical Student
    :scared: .. same here.. doing fairly ok around 60-65%.. then one block.. 44%.. then i realized i was brain fried and everything around started to float (diff. from joint tho). Jus took rest of the day off and climbing up again.. keep ur heads up.

if method of doing questions (like studying the subject before hand) has changed, it might throw % off.. and also weakness and strength can be identified if its within subject or system. use it to your advantage. cheers.

8. LusuR

LusuR Im gud at docter

Resident [Any Field]
    For me, UW draws disproportionately from each topic. When I was 20% done, I noticed that only NINE questions from the pathology section had been used, while nearly all off the biostats, embryo, behavioral had been used. This could explain why it's getting harder for some. Anyone else experience this?

9. DrFraud

Banned

Medical Student
    Yes, I noticed the same thing. The first 5-10 50 q blocks I completed had a balance of genetics, anatomy, ethics, biostats, bs, and phys, and I usually did well with these questions. As I used up these qs, all thats left with was path and pharm. By the time I did my last block, about 80% of the q's were pharm and pathology:eek:, and my scores dropped.

10. Tiger26

Tiger26 Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Yeah, seriously, what's up with the pharm questions . . . apparently I was supposed to know the different ocular side effects of the antipsychotics and also be able to diagnose neonatal opiate withdrawal based on the fact that the mother was a homeless drug abuser (these types of questions seem like ones I should be having to do next year . . . errr I mean in 6 weeks, when 3rd year starts)

11. InternationlDoc

InternationlDoc Imported like a Ferrari

Attending Physician
    haha I made similar post on the "StepIII" thread. But yea, glad to know I'm not the only one.

Uworld seems particularly challanging on Pharmacology questions. Also, it drew disproportionate questions when I first started it. Histo, Embryo, Biostats and Behavioral sciences were all depleted before path even began! (had no category of it on assesment for a good 150+ questions!) :confused:

Sets seem like a random luck of the draw. On some I feel very confident getting 85%+ then the next I hit 60 something% . Although I did notice that variance in the average % of people getting questions correct flucutates from 45%-60% (which is not as big of a range as my % change from set to set).

Also, I agree that there are some patient management questions that seem step II ish.

12. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    I missed the neonate opiate withdrawal one too. I didn't think the correct answer would be "Give the baby more drugs."

13. Mr. Freeze

Mr. Freeze Not right. (in the head)

Resident [Any Field]
    You must not have kids. :D A little tincture of opium would make it a WHOLE lot easier to study at my house!

14. PenguinHead

Resident [Any Field]
    I just missed this one today. I didn't like any of the answers. I didn't that whole question set actually...

My average for this last week had been creeping closer and closer to 70%. I was pumped, confident, etc. Of course, today, I bomb and feel like I've regressed 3 weeks. 1 day to go...

15. GoodEats

GoodEats SDN Donor

Medical Student
    Yeah, I e-mailed them about this -- whenever I used the 'ALL Main Divisions' thing, it was doing this. After switching off a few of the divisions (like Histo, which I have zero left of anyways), it started pulling from the Path pool along with the rest. Good luck...

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Tiger26

Tiger26 Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    While studying for my Ob/Gyn rotation, I was just reading about opiate use in pregnant mothers and Blueprints specifically said the management was a "tincture of opium" for the neonate, which I thought was kinda funny since they used the exact same wording as UW.

18. Knicks

Why doesn't UW get their act together? :mad:

Drawing disproportionately, making the diagnoses "easy" (based on another thread I read), etc.....