Okay, UW...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mansoor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...is definitely getting harder as I do more questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry. I never noticed UW get easier. Although my scores improved a bit over the 3 weeks I studied, there was only a very slight upward trend (my scores were scattered all over the place). If I had studied for longer, maybe it would have seemed easier at some point, but I wouldn't worry about it. Learn as much as you can from it and don't sweat your scores too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
:scared: .. same here.. doing fairly ok around 60-65%.. then one block.. 44%.. then i realized i was brain fried and everything around started to float (diff. from joint tho). Jus took rest of the day off and climbing up again.. keep ur heads up.

if method of doing questions (like studying the subject before hand) has changed, it might throw % off.. and also weakness and strength can be identified if its within subject or system. use it to your advantage. cheers.

For me, UW draws disproportionately from each topic. When I was 20% done, I noticed that only NINE questions from the pathology section had been used, while nearly all off the biostats, embryo, behavioral had been used. This could explain why it's getting harder for some. Anyone else experience this?

For me, UW draws disproportionately from each topic. When I was 20% done, I noticed that only NINE questions from the pathology section had been used, while nearly all off the biostats, embryo, behavioral had been used. This could explain why it's getting harder for some. Anyone else experience this?

Yes, I noticed the same thing. The first 5-10 50 q blocks I completed had a balance of genetics, anatomy, ethics, biostats, bs, and phys, and I usually did well with these questions. As I used up these qs, all thats left with was path and pharm. By the time I did my last block, about 80% of the q's were pharm and pathology:eek:, and my scores dropped.

Yeah, seriously, what's up with the pharm questions . . . apparently I was supposed to know the different ocular side effects of the antipsychotics and also be able to diagnose neonatal opiate withdrawal based on the fact that the mother was a homeless drug abuser (these types of questions seem like ones I should be having to do next year . . . errr I mean in 6 weeks, when 3rd year starts)

haha I made similar post on the "StepIII" thread. But yea, glad to know I'm not the only one.

Uworld seems particularly challanging on Pharmacology questions. Also, it drew disproportionate questions when I first started it. Histo, Embryo, Biostats and Behavioral sciences were all depleted before path even began! (had no category of it on assesment for a good 150+ questions!) :confused:

Sets seem like a random luck of the draw. On some I feel very confident getting 85%+ then the next I hit 60 something% . Although I did notice that variance in the average % of people getting questions correct flucutates from 45%-60% (which is not as big of a range as my % change from set to set).

Also, I agree that there are some patient management questions that seem step II ish.

Yeah, seriously, what's up with the pharm questions . . . apparently I was supposed to know the different ocular side effects of the antipsychotics and also be able to diagnose neonatal opiate withdrawal based on the fact that the mother was a homeless drug abuser (these types of questions seem like ones I should be having to do next year . . . errr I mean in 6 weeks, when 3rd year starts)
I missed the neonate opiate withdrawal one too. I didn't think the correct answer would be "Give the baby more drugs."

I missed the neonate opiate withdrawal one too. I didn't think the correct answer would be "Give the baby more drugs."

You must not have kids. :D A little tincture of opium would make it a WHOLE lot easier to study at my house!

I just missed this one today. I didn't like any of the answers. I didn't that whole question set actually...

My average for this last week had been creeping closer and closer to 70%. I was pumped, confident, etc. Of course, today, I bomb and feel like I've regressed 3 weeks. 1 day to go...

Yes, I noticed the same thing. The first 5-10 50 q blocks I completed had a balance of genetics, anatomy, ethics, biostats, bs, and phys, and I usually did well with these questions. As I used up these qs, all thats left with was path and pharm. By the time I did my last block, about 80% of the q's were pharm and pathology:eek:, and my scores dropped.

Yeah, I e-mailed them about this -- whenever I used the 'ALL Main Divisions' thing, it was doing this. After switching off a few of the divisions (like Histo, which I have zero left of anyways), it started pulling from the Path pool along with the rest. Good luck...

While studying for my Ob/Gyn rotation, I was just reading about opiate use in pregnant mothers and Blueprints specifically said the management was a "tincture of opium" for the neonate, which I thought was kinda funny since they used the exact same wording as UW.

Why doesn't UW get their act together? :mad:

Drawing disproportionately, making the diagnoses "easy" (based on another thread I read), etc.....