Oklahoma Univ. Dental Hard School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

profoun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this seems a bit whiney...it seems like Okalahoma Dental school is a hard school..many tests in many courses w/ no summer breaks anymore...

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this seems a bit whiney...it seems like Okalahoma Dental school is a hard school..many tests in many courses w/ no summer breaks anymore...

You gotta do what you gotta do

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't mean for my post to cause any flame wars. I just was lamenting how there used to be summer holidays at Oklahoma dental school, but now there isn't anymore. It's too bad, is all

I didn't mean for my post to cause any flame wars. I just was lamenting how there used to be summer holidays at Oklahoma dental school, but now there isn't anymore. It's too bad, is all

Summer holidays...

When you start working there are no such things such as winter break or summer break. Its work 24/7

If you don't work, you don't eat and that's life!

Dental schools in general have a lot of tests. What do you think they are going to do - just hand you a DDS degree? Also, do you not think other schools have during the summer as well. In Houston, that is the way they have been doing their program for years. It really isn't a big deal. Realistically, it keeps you from getting too relaxed when you come back after the breaks. I remember in undergrad, the summers that I didn't take summer courses, that I was so not ready for classes when school started up again. It usually took me a several weeks to get pumped up for school and be ready to hit the books. If that were the case in d-school, I don't know if I would have been able to keep my head above the water with the volumes of material presented to us. One thing you can be happy about is that you should qualify for more financial aid for living expenses since the school is considered on a 12 month calendar now. It does help if you have no other source of income for living expenses.

I guess I was lamenting because other dental schools do have summer breaks. Going to school all year round all the while cramming volumes of information in all the time can be too much. Brains weren't designed to work non-stop like that.

I guess I was lamenting because other dental schools do have summer breaks. Going to school all year round all the while cramming volumes of information in all the time can be too much. Brains weren't designed to work non-stop like that.

I don't see that here in Houston. We haven't been affected by a year round education. And you don't see us whining about it.

Actually, brains are designed to work non-stop. You never stop learning - even in your sleep!

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't see that here in houston. We haven't been affected by a year round education. And you don't see us whining about it.

Actually, brains are designed to work non-stop. You never stop learning - even in your sleep!

+1

What I mean is brains aren't designed to cram in volumes of information (like in finals weeks) every single waking moment. My friend told me there used to be summer holidays at Oklahoma Dental School to give ur brain a breather after the flurry of exams, tests, quizzes each week, but now there's no breather.

What I mean is brains aren't designed to cram in volumes of information (like in finals weeks) every single waking moment. My friend told me there used to be summer holidays at Oklahoma Dental School to give ur brain a breather after the flurry of exams, tests, quizzes each week, but now there's no breather.

Wha, wha, wha! Who cares what things are like in the past. If you ask most dentists who have practiced for 30= years, they will probably tell you we have it easy in d-school these days. Again, no sympathy from Houston since our schedule has been that way for many years. We do fine and don't whine about not having our entire summers to play.

Wipe the tears, grow a pair and get on with your life. You will get through d-school just fine wihthout having a mental breakdown the same way we survive in Houston.

Summer holidays...

When you start working there are no such things such as winter break or summer break. Its work 24/7

If you don't work, you don't eat and that's life!

"If you don't work you don't eat, if you don't grind you don't shine" - Mike Jones.. Who?

at LLU we get 3 weeks off in summer, 3 weeks off in winter, 10 days in spring and fall. AFAIK, it is the norm to have summer session in dental school.

smells like troll in here...

at LLU we get 3 weeks off in summer, 3 weeks off in winter, 10 days in spring and fall. AFAIK, it is the norm to have summer session in dental school.

smells like troll in here...

10 days off in spring and fall?
Thats more than I get off fall and spring for stony brook undergrad...

Then don't apply there. Problem solved :)

No kidding. Who's forcing you to go to Oklahoma? If you really need that awesome grade-school summer trip to Disneyland, pick a schools that gives you a summer break. Or just grow up and deal with it. Summer breaks are for the kids.

And if you can't hack the tests, every dental school will crush your brain. If you don't want finals week with lots of tests, pick a curriculum that doesn't do that.

10 days off in spring and fall?
Thats more than I get off fall and spring for stony brook undergrad...
We get 6 weeks off for winter break though! Much longer breaks at Stony than most other undergrads

I think it's preferable to have some type of summer research, classes, clinical experience, ETC.

A lot of dental schools don't have summer breaks. In fact, it surprised me that you expected them to.