Old grades from 15 years ago haunting me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nikitaraqs

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I'm a longtime lurker on this board. I'm a 30 year old non-traditional student currently trying to chip away at my undergrad degree while working full-time with the hopes of changing careers to something PT related (I'm still debating between DPT or PTA, i.e. costs, time commitment, etc).

What I'm worried about is my past as a student when I was around 19. I went to a community college back then and had absolutely no direction or drive and got some really horrendous grades. I was flat out stupid and didn't officially withdraw from classes when I stopped going and failed a few, maybe 2-3.

I'm currently a great student, pulling around a 3.8. I realize how important a high GPA is for applying to DPT programs. From what I understand, I would have to report these old transcripts (15 years old at that point) to PTCAS were I to start applying down the road. I'm worried that these failures will bring my GPA down so significantly that I won't be considered at all.

Here's my question: Do schools ever look at the last 75 credit hours GPA or something? If so, how heavily is that weighted? I would imagine that a school could see that if my recent GPA is significantly better than the overall, but I wonder if they'll even bother to look if the overall GPA is not in the competitive range.
 
It depends which school. Some schools like look at the last 45 or 60 units. Some only looks at prerequisite and most schools look at both overall/prerequisite. The best thing to do is go thriugh all the schools you are interested and compare your stats to their requirements. Sometimes they give the average acceptance stats.
 
I'm in the same situation...my last 100 credits GPA is > 3.6 but my first 20 credits when I was 18-19 were all F's and W's. My pre req GPA is also >3.6 which is what I'm banking on
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also University of Saint Augustine looks only at last 45,UNC chapel hill looks at last 60 and California State Sacramento only looks at Pre-req GPA I believe. Good Luck
 
St. Augustine is way out of my budget. I have to go to a public school somewhere, I can't bury myself in debt. Looking to stay in the Pacific Northwest somewhere, too... which may hurt me since I know mobility is pretty important.

More and more PTA sounds like the most viable option. Sigh.
 
I would at least try. Which state do you live in? Explain your past in your personal statement. Schools realize that a lot of people were total losers when they were in their teens and early twenties. They understand that people mature and grow up. Show them what a new person you are.

If you apply and they reject you, then go to PTA school. I would not worry about your grades in community college. Your history should not deter you from applying. You have a chance, but how will you know unless you apply?

Kevin
 
I would at least try. Which state do you live in? Explain your past in your personal statement. Schools realize that a lot of people were total losers when they were in their teens and early twenties. They understand that people mature and grow up. Show them what a new person you are.

If you apply and they reject you, then go to PTA school. I would not worry about your grades in community college. Your history should not deter you from applying. You have a chance, but how will you know unless you apply?

Kevin

Hi Kevin, thanks for the positive words. I currently live in san diego, but the plan is to move to oregon by 2015 to be closer to my family. I'll be able to finish up my bachelors faster up there and for less money, and ideally a little more happiness. Not real fond of southern california at all.