Old school, hardcore punks and dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since we're calling out the individual ethnicities, creeds, nationalities, regional areas of rearing, etc. Why not this?

Who here is an old school punk who has, frankly, sold out into the professional world? I am. And I'm not talking about a mid-90's punker who went to a few major concert venues to see Green Day and Blink 182 or the cheerleader who on a whim decided to check out a punk show with her friends cause it would be a walk on the wild side for one night, or a 80's punker who couldn't tell you the difference between a NY hardcore show and an LA hardcore show...I'm talking, grimey, dirty gutter punks. The ones who know a what a Pit Warning on The List is, the ones who can sing all the words to 68 Guns and Holiday in Cambodia in their sleep, the one's who know what I mean when I say Cometbus, and the one's who know that PBR is just a hipster replacement of the much cheaper and more abundant, Mickey's and Old E.

Am I the only one who sold his soul to teeth?

Members don't see this ad.

I went to a Blink182 concert, but not in the 90's. Does that make me a wannabe punk?

I went to a Blink182 concert, but not in the 90's. Does that make me a wannabe punk?

maybe if you got to hang with travis barker rather than hanging in the 13yo girl audience. lol:laugh:

jeff, i've never heard of those bands but thats cuz i typically listen to thrash and death metal. and im not a concert goer either, too many people

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen Agnostic Front, Misfits, and Sick of it All a couple times each in high school. I used to be in a band that covered Police Truck by Dead Kennedy's too. That's really about as old school as I got.

In college I kind of quit listening to all that stuff, but I am getting back into hardcore/metal. Just checked out All Shall Perish/Terror when they came to town and I got to say, it's a weird feeling being one of the oldest people there, haha...and I'm only 23.

I've seen Agnostic Front, Misfits, and Sick of it All a couple times each in high school. I used to be in a band that covered Police Truck by Dead Kennedy's too. That's really about as old school as I got.

In college I kind of quit listening to all that stuff, but I am getting back into hardcore/metal. Just checked out All Shall Perish/Terror when they came to town and I got to say, it's a weird feeling being one of the oldest people there, haha...and I'm only 23.

haha yea, I went to see strung out when i was 22 or so and i was one of the oldest people there and probably the only one NOT wearing all black.

I never got into hardcore punk stuff, but hardcore music is still the majority of what i listen to: underoath, senses fail, snapcase, dead poetic, etc.

my question: are my kids going to consider Strung Out as oldies?

What if I got in the mosh pit?

Let me consult the punkdom wheel...

I'll just match up the wheels, let's see...Blink 182, early 2000's, entered mosh pit...

My punkdom wheel says you are a 70% pop, 25% punk, and 5% core.

I recently went to see a Leftover Crack and Citizen Fish show at an all ages venue, I went with 3 friends, all about 29-30 years old and we were not only the oldest and tallest ones there, we were the only ones who had non-black clothing. The bouncer didn't stamp our hands, so we asked if we could leave and come back. The guy looked at us and said, "only if I remember you." We waited to see if he was kidding and when he wasn't, my friend pointed to his shirt and said..."see this, this is white. If you see another 30 year old in a white t-shirt come back before me, you don't have to let me back in."

Later on that same bouncer maced a kid in the mosh pit with a cloud spray that got on half the crowd, so he had to let us all out as we choked...so much for no ins and outs.

oh yeah...dentistry is an awesome career for old punks. There...please don't close my thread.

I believe that music changes so rapidly nowadays, evolving so quickly, that Strung Out will be considered "classical" while things like Herman's Hermits and other 50's and 60's bands will be consider "primitive." The rest will be "primordial."

how are you selling out by becoming a dentist? is angst a requirement for being punk rock or something? the way i see it, if i become a dentist, i beat the system. i'll wake up when i want. do what i want to do during the day. ocme home to my family when i want to. have the financial flexibility to help those less fortunate. i'll be my own man. what's more punk rock than that?

woah, leftover crack, ag front. that's pretty hardcore. i was a fat wreck kind of kid in high school, with a minor in ska. the most hardcore i got was probably op ivy (not really even HC). there was this kid at my high school was in to hatebreed and Agnostic Front, and he was poretty much out of his mind. he was mr NYHC. cool kid though.

sorry, buddy. i don't think Strung Out will really be relevant by the time you kids start listening to music.

I guess selling out differs for everyone since it only means that you compromise whatever your personal morality or belief system is in order to gain success. Now, since everyone has a different belief system of what the punk ethic is, then whether we feel we are selling out of that is up to them to decide.

Personally, I won't ramble on about my own understanding of the punk ethic, but for me, I'm selling out. That's fine...I accepted that fact a while ago.

PS - Op Ivy...hella cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, I exchanged a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage.

how are you selling out by becoming a dentist? is angst a requirement for being punk rock or something? the way i see it, if i become a dentist, i beat the system. i'll wake up when i want. do what i want to do during the day. ocme home to my family when i want to. have the financial flexibility to help those less fortunate. i'll be my own man. what's more punk rock than that?

woah, leftover crack, ag front. that's pretty hardcore. i was a fat wreck kind of kid in high school, with a minor in ska. the most hardcore i got was probably op ivy (not really even HC). there was this kid at my high school was in to hatebreed and Agnostic Front, and he was poretty much out of his mind. he was mr NYHC. cool kid though.

Off topic: t man, youre avatar is dope... straight outta Area 51.

I went to the Gillman a few tims during college, but that's about it. It's not too far from SF, definitely recommend checking it out.

We studied the song Holiday in Cambodia in my popular music in American culture class...

Since we're calling out the individual ethnicities, creeds, nationalities, regional areas of rearing, etc. Why not this?

Who here is an old school punk who has, frankly, sold out into the professional world? I am. And I'm not talking about a mid-90's punker who went to a few major concert venues to see Green Day and Blink 182 or the cheerleader who on a whim decided to check out a punk show with her friends cause it would be a walk on the wild side for one night, or a 80's punker who couldn't tell you the difference between a NY hardcore show and an LA hardcore show...I'm talking, grimey, dirty gutter punks. The ones who know a what a Pit Warning on The List is, the ones who can sing all the words to 68 Guns and Holiday in Cambodia in their sleep, the one's who know what I mean when I say Cometbus, and the one's who know that PBR is just a hipster replacement of the much cheaper and more abundant, Mickey's and Old E.

I once snuck onstage and then dove into the crowd at a Less Than Jake concert, but I wouldn't give myself enough cred to call myself hard core.

In my practice I plan to have different playlists that I can control from my operatory, so when a young kid comes in with tats up his neck I just might turn on the Misfits or Sex Pistols.

Then it's back to Tchaikovsky when grandma comes in.

Yep, I exchanged a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage.

nice.

"i was young too, i felt just like you. hated authority. hated all my bosses, thought they were full of ****. look, it's like they say, if you're not a rebel by the age of 20, you've got no heart. but if you haven't learned establishment by 30, you've got no brains! cause there are no storybook romances, no fairy-tale endings. before you run out and change the world, ask yourself, what do you really want?"

Funny...I heard the same thing but slightly different. If you're not a liberal at 20, you've got no heart. If your not a conservative by 40, you've got no brain.

I'll live without the brain.

Also, I love Gilman, but the last time I went there it was all death metal bands, so I stopped caring. But I practically grew up there since I would sometimes miss my BArt ride home so I'd just have to stay there overnight and catch the morning train.

Yeah, I'm totally hard core too! I love Simple Plan, I voted for them like 1000 times a day on TRL LOL.
<ducks under desk to avoid hurled projectiles>

I'm not a punk, but I lived down the street from CBGB's.

Funny...I heard the same thing but slightly different. If you're not a liberal at 20, you've got no heart. If your not a conservative by 40, you've got no brain.

I'll live without the brain.

Also, I love Gilman, but the last time I went there it was all death metal bands, so I stopped caring. But I practically grew up there since I would sometimes miss my BArt ride home so I'd just have to stay there overnight and catch the morning train.

I played at 924 Gilman St. in '95. Sad to hear its gone downhill. I don't know if they are still around but we stayed with the guys who ran Punks with Presses in Berkely, I think. In 93-95 we also played a few times with Rancid (when they were good and on lookout! records) and Citizen Fish here in AZ.

I was far from a gutter punk but I know everything you are talking about. My tastes have changed a lot since those days. Do you still listen to this stuff or have your tastes changed also? One of my all time favorite hardcore bands was Reason to Believe.

I find that I still like all the things I used to like, but I like more stuff that is different too. I still toss in albums I grew up on all the time. The first rancid album has a regular rotation in my music selections, as do bands like, and I name them cause I figure you might know them if you played around oakland in 94, Screw 32, Link 80, Kamala and the Karnivores, etc. I started getting into hardcore a little after those days and tried to listen to everything, so I was buying a lot of harcore I hadn't heard before, but stuff like Murphy's Law, Ignite, and other stuff. I even found myself attracted to the music of a few white pride skinhead bands, though I hated myself for even liking the music and the lyrics always made me laugh inside.

Over the last few years I started falling in love with stuff I'd never thought I'd like: 80's music, Herb Alpert and the TJ Brass, Post-skacore stuff, and even jazz fusion. It's all kinda weird at times.

What was your band?

I like the term grimey, dirty gutter punks. It has sort of a ring to it.:thumbup: