Older and very medical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rosie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have just undergone the stressfull experience of applying to London Medical Schools.
I have been turned down by all of them bar 1 because they feel I am too old (38)
The other has turned me down because I could not score highly enough in the GAMSAT test to be interviewed. I have extensive medical knowledge(Being older)but my knowledge of basic science is limited unless it is relevant to the biological principles that I know.
I have passed a 3rd year medcial students physical assessment and history taking module and come top. I have degree level Medical Pharmacology Physiology and Biochemistry Modules. I work independantly in General Practice caring for undifferentiated undiagnosed patients.
Does anybody know anywhere that will take a more open view of what I already know and what I can already do as entry to a medical training programme.
I need further training but all the doctors I work with feel I would not need many years of training to be at a very competent level.
I already have offers of my two house jobs and a guaranteed place on a GP training scheme and a GP partnership at the end of it.
HELP!!

Members don't see this ad.

My dear Rosie,

Correct me if I am wrong. GAMSAT?? I thought that's an Aussie test for the new PBL course, or so I have read on BMJ couple years ago.

Where are you from? I guess you should try Australian medical school. As I recall, they love older students. I personally know this lady from Oxford where she had earned her Phds and went to University of Sydney afterwards. During Lunch, I remember her complaining that her GAMSAT is below average and that she decided to give up, but then she got an interview and now she is doing medicine in Australia. Not until later I realized that one of the many purposes of changing from traditional 6 years medical course to 4 years postgraduate course is to enhance diversity, and that includes very much your life experience and age. Australian graduates are perfectly eligible to practice and obtain internship in England because they have unlimited GMC recognition status. So try Australia!!!!

Kato

See if the University of West Indies in Trinidad will be favorable to you. Graduates have unlimited GMC-GB registration.

Members don't see this ad :)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by DrPeace:
Australian graduates are perfectly eligible to practice and obtain internship in England because they have unlimited GMC recognition status. So try Australia!!!!

Kato

Is this current information? I was told that unless I did my internship in Oz (and was registered as an RMO) I would be ineligible for training in the UK.

Just wondering...

My dear Ms Kimberli Cox and Rosie,

You are right, I am not 100% sure, but then you get the big picture. But GMC unlimited registration recognition is a good start!! I wouldn't know better cuz I was a UK graduate. Perhaps you can just call GMC and find out.

God bless the Queen!

Cheers,

Kato