Older Applicants and UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homer J. Simpson

1st and goal from the 1 yard line.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there have any info on the age range at UCLA. I've heard/read that if you're over 26-28 to not even bother applying.

Any of you geezers know differently?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that of the UCs, Davis and SF have the most older non-trad students. If indeed UCLA has younger students, I would surmise that it is more a function of the different demographics between younger and older applicants, not something that is based on age alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard the same things of UCLA - I was told if you are 27 or older, you will have a hard time getting in there. It is pretty well known that UCLA is like that -- a friend who did her residency at UCLA said that UCLA eventually will "get in trouble" for their (unwritten, but enforced) age discrimination policies. When I talked to someone who used to be on the Adcom at UCLA, he pretty much alluded to the same thing (though he did not outright say this) - he told me to apply as soon as possible (I was 24 when I was considering applying). I ended up waiting until I was 25 to apply. Got an interview and eventual acceptance at UCSF, but not even an interview at UCLA. Who knows if this was age-related or not (and I am not implying that it was). But, that rumor has been perpetuated about UCLA for a long time - given that their average age is on the "younger" side (compared to other schools), there may be something to it. There's no way to know for sure, and I'd bet a few people who are older do/will get in. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

I sent them an email today asking for the age range and how many students over 30 they typically admit. I'll let you guys know what (if) they reply.