Older Applicants and UCLA

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Homer J. Simpson, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Homer J. Simpson

Homer J. Simpson 1st and goal from the 1 yard line.

Anyone out there have any info on the age range at UCLA. I've heard/read that if you're over 26-28 to not even bother applying.

Any of you geezers know differently?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Sounds like age discrimination to me. I'm 28 and applying there.

Andrew

4. mdhopeful

mdhopeful Senior Member

I have heard that of the UCs, Davis and SF have the most older non-trad students. If indeed UCLA has younger students, I would surmise that it is more a function of the different demographics between younger and older applicants, not something that is based on age alone.

5. BeckyG

BeckyG Senior Member

I have heard the same things of UCLA - I was told if you are 27 or older, you will have a hard time getting in there. It is pretty well known that UCLA is like that -- a friend who did her residency at UCLA said that UCLA eventually will "get in trouble" for their (unwritten, but enforced) age discrimination policies. When I talked to someone who used to be on the Adcom at UCLA, he pretty much alluded to the same thing (though he did not outright say this) - he told me to apply as soon as possible (I was 24 when I was considering applying). I ended up waiting until I was 25 to apply. Got an interview and eventual acceptance at UCSF, but not even an interview at UCLA. Who knows if this was age-related or not (and I am not implying that it was). But, that rumor has been perpetuated about UCLA for a long time - given that their average age is on the "younger" side (compared to other schools), there may be something to it. There's no way to know for sure, and I'd bet a few people who are older do/will get in. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

6. Homer J. Simpson

Homer J. Simpson 1st and goal from the 1 yard line.

I sent them an email today asking for the age range and how many students over 30 they typically admit. I'll let you guys know what (if) they reply.