Older MCAT- Looked down on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WoWdoc

I loot corpses
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an MCAT score (31M 8PS 10BS 13VR) from April 2008. I've used it for two cycles and still don't have an acceptance. I've heard that is a decent score, and that schools take MCAT scores for 3 cycles. However, does anybody know if the perceived value of a score goes down if it's a couple of years old? Basically I'm wondering if I should retake not because its a low score, but because its kinda old. Is a MCAT score from this year just as good as one from 08 if they are otherwise equal?

Members don't see this ad.

If it didn't get you in the last two cycles, why would it this time? Reapplication is mostly about showing why you are a MUCH better applicant this time than last.

I have an MCAT score (31M 8PS 10BS 13VR) from April 2008. I've used it for two cycles and still don't have an acceptance. I've heard that is a decent score, and that schools take MCAT scores for 3 cycles. However, does anybody know if the perceived value of a score goes down if it's a couple of years old? Basically I'm wondering if I should retake not because its a low score, but because its kinda old. Is a MCAT score from this year just as good as one from 08 if they are otherwise equal?

That score is average for numbers and low for writing sample and the 8 is low for PS. Many schools won't take MCAT scores that are more than 2 years old and thus your score is getting up there agewise. Additionally, MCAT score is one part of the application and thus, uGPA + the rest of the application comes into play. Do realize that uGPA averages for matriculants are around 3.7 now and have gone higher every year.

The entire application is considered at most schools and depending on what you have for uGPA, you may have been screened out at the schools that you applied to. Also keep in mind that you are only as competitive as you rank within the pools of applicants to the schools where you submitted your application. Your 31M MCAT may have been low for your schools even though it's average for the rest of the country.

If you wind up retaking the MCAT, you need to be sure that you score higher and that the rest of your application is competitive within the pool of applicants to the schools that you are applying. In short, don't keep applying just for the sake of reapplying without serious upgrade of your entire application.

The biggest mistake that most applicants make is overestimating the competitiveness of their application thus they end up with no acceptances. Make everything outstanding and apply broadly if you keep doing this.

Members don't see this ad :)
That score is average for numbers and low for writing sample and the 8 is low for PS. Many schools won't take MCAT scores that are more than 2 years old and thus your score is getting up there agewise. Additionally, MCAT score is one part of the application and thus, uGPA + the rest of the application comes into play. Do realize that uGPA averages for matriculants are around 3.7 now and have gone higher every year.

The entire application is considered at most schools and depending on what you have for uGPA, you may have been screened out at the schools that you applied to. Also keep in mind that you are only as competitive as you rank within the pools of applicants to the schools where you submitted your application. Your 31M MCAT may have been low for your schools even though it's average for the rest of the country.

If you wind up retaking the MCAT, you need to be sure that you score higher and that the rest of your application is competitive within the pool of applicants to the schools that you are applying. In short, don't keep applying just for the sake of reapplying without serious upgrade of your entire application.

The biggest mistake that most applicants make is overestimating the competitiveness of their application thus they end up with no acceptances. Make everything outstanding and apply broadly if you keep doing this.

Shouldn't that be changed to 3 years old.

You can use an August 2008 MCAT (which is what I am using, so the OPs situation may be different if he had a May MCAT) to get you into the 2011 Entering class. There also some (about 35%) schools that will also look at it for the 2012 Entering class.

I am speaking of DO schools, but my guess is that there would be a similar percentage of MD schools who accept an Aug 2008 MCAT for the 2012 Entering class.

my gpa was 3.9. BS in biology. Whatever's not getting me in, its not my gpa.

You've been told why you didn't get in, because you applied to 5 schools.