Older nontraditional - what path to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaya42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, given the below info, should I apply to 30 or so MD schools and a couple of DO schools in June, apply to whatever DO schools are still accepting applications now for this summer/fall, or just apply to St. George's now, because I'm not going to get in anywhere else.

I'm worried that I will be discriminated against because of my age and because my undergraduate grades were erratic. I feel like with my background, I can't get a feel for my chances. I keep getting scared reading SDN threads. Can anyone provide any guidance? I'm just looking for some kind of perspective. Thank you!!

Here are my stats. I'm trying to include all facts relevant for admission, but let me know if I missed something:
Age 43
MCAT 515 (125/131/128/131)
B.S. Biology. GPA 3.0 - all prereq's taken, but grades were all over the place. Went to college a year early and didn't pay attention to grades. Lots of As, but also Bs and Cs.
3 years of intense undergraduate research in molecular biology.
M.A .in education, GPA 3.9
Started a PhD in microbiology/immunology, but left after a year due to a medical condition.
J.D. with a concentration in health law. GPA 3.4, Patent attorney - full scholarship to law school.
Additional research experience working as a microbiologist & water chemist in a corporation.
Worked as a teacher/school administrator and attorney.
Currently almost done retaking a year of A&P, Chem and a cell & molecular biology class at a well-respected community college, GPA 4.0. Registered to retake 1st semester organic chem over the summer.
Founded a small, successful company and have 4 patents to my name.
Three law-related publications, two in law journals and one book chapter.
Practice Aikido, run marathons, part of a summer Shakespeare ensemble, and an oil painter.
State certified EMT (volunteer), hospice volunteer and volunteer at free family health clinic.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your state of residence?
How many total hours of clinical volunteering (at hospice and free clinic) do you have?
Guessing you have the 4.0 in about 20-21 DIY postbacc hours at the CC?
Do you have any nonclinical volunteering hours?

What is your state of residence?
How many total hours of clinical volunteering (at hospice and free clinic) do you have?
Guessing you have the 4.0 in about 20-21 DIY postbacc hours at the CC?
Do you have any nonclinical volunteering hours?

I live in NJ.
As of July, I'll have about 300 clinical hours, including EMT, hospice and free clinic.
Looks like 34 hours at the CC, with 22 of those in bio and chem, with an additional 5 coming up from 1st semester organic chem.
I recently did about 5 months of volunteer immigration law after the election.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, stay away from the Caribbeans. You have a reasonable shot at MDs and are fine with all DOs. Apply this upcoming cycle, not presently because it's too late even for DOs.
While age may be an issue with certain schools, there are plenty out there that will not have an issue with it.
While your 3.0 undergrad is not ideal, your MCAT and PB grades can counteract those. Read @Goro thread here Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention
Even though TX has an instate bias, TX schools love nontraditionals, esp those with your background. So I would advise taking a shot at TX schools also. TMDSAS Medical: Homepage It only costs $150 for the application to about 10-11 schools unlike AMCAS.
Purchase a subscription to MSAR.

Lastly, since it looks like you have had a very successful background, you will need to write a convincing PS that informs Adcoms about who you are, why medicine, and why you running towards medicine and leaving your other career(s).

You will not be the oldest to matriculate medical school, so don't let age be a stumbling block in your own thoughts.

Paging @Faha to help with list of schools...

GL!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your advice and reassurance. I had no idea about Texas. I will definitely check those out.

Reactions: 1 user
You are competitive for all DO schools so apply broadly to at least 12 and you should receive several interviews. Include Rowan in NJ. For MD schools you could try:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Seton Hall
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
California University
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman)
If you are planning to apply for the class beginning in August 2019 you should apply June 2018 and complete all your secondaries by July.

That’s amazing! I had no idea there were so many older applicants, some even older than me, lol! When you look at the msar, you really can’t tell. It’s hard to find any schools with students in the 40 and over category.

@Faha, thank you!

12 DO schools sounds like a lot! How many MD schools do you recommend? Also, I have heard that Dartmouth and Brown are very no traditional friendly. Is that. Is that not true? Is there another reason that you didn’t recommend them?

Yes, Dartmouth and Brown would be worth applying to. It is not so much the number of MD schools rather where you could receive an interview with your stats. Many state public schools accept few non residents with no connection to the state. I choose mainly private schools where your MCAT is above the median.

@Faha, thank you!

12 DO schools sounds like a lot! How many MD schools do you recommend? Also, I have heard that Dartmouth and Brown are very no traditional friendly. Is that. Is that not true? Is there another reason that you didn’t recommend them?

If you search the 2018 nontrad acceptance thread and nontrad progress thread, you will see where nontrads have had success this cycle. There’s also the 2017-2018 osteopathic underdawg thread that might be helpful for you. Best of luck!

I think you have a great combination of life experiences and backgrounds. I believe you would be welcome to many medical schools. I think the major challenges you (me too) will encounter are that you have to convince the ADCOMs, why you want a MD, since you already have a JD? Moreover, since you concentrate in health law, why not just stay in legal profession and contribute to patients' well-beings as an attorney? What are your reasons for becoming a clinician (at this age and at this stage of career development)? Because we are no longer 20 somethings who just start our careers. We are now considered as "mid career" professionals, so we are expected to be able to articulate "why med school now."

I will also apply in this application cycle (2018-19) and have a similar list of schools. Perhaps we will run into each other during interviews. Good Luck!

Yes, Dartmouth and Brown would be worth applying to. It is not so much the number of MD schools rather where you could receive an interview with your stats. Many state public schools accept few non residents with no connection to the state. I choose mainly private schools where your MCAT is above the median.
That makes a lot of sense. I was considering a couple of state schools that accepted about 25% out of state, but with good numbers for older students (Oregon, Geisinger, University of Illinois). I now realize that those older applicants were likely in-state only, so I'll probably drop those schools from my list.

If you search the 2018 nontrad acceptance thread and nontrad progress thread, you will see where nontrads have had success this cycle. There’s also the 2017-2018 osteopathic underdawg thread that might be helpful for you. Best of luck!
That's a great idea! Thank you :)

I think you have a great combination of life experiences and backgrounds. I believe you would be welcome to many medical schools. I think the major challenges you (me too) will encounter are that you have to convince the ADCOMs, why you want a MD, since you already have a JD? Moreover, since you concentrate in health law, why not just stay in legal profession and contribute to patients' well-beings as an attorney? What are your reasons for becoming a clinician (at this age and at this stage of career development)? Because we are no longer 20 somethings who just start our careers. We are now considered as "mid career" professionals, so we are expected to be able to articulate "why med school now."

I will also apply in this application cycle (2018-19) and have a similar list of schools. Perhaps we will run into each other during interviews. Good Luck!
Those are good questions, and I'm sure that I will be asked them. It's so important to practice all of this, especially as an older student. I feel like because we have had so many different life experiences, we have more choices on how to answer secondary app and interview questions. Thank you for your kind words and support. I hope we do run into each other!

That makes a lot of sense. I was considering a couple of state schools that accepted about 25% out of state, but with good numbers for older students (Oregon, Geisinger, University of Illinois). I now realize that those older applicants were likely in-state only, so I'll probably drop those schools from my list.

You might want to keep Geisinger, since you’re local. Also, you can probably add Wake Forest to your list. They’re very nontrad friendly.

I second Wake Forest - they are having a dinner for the non-trads that were recently accepted and one of their recent graduates was over the age of 50. They tend to have a bit of regional bias, but I interviewed with someone from NJ, so definitely add them in.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user