Older URM

Started by mdtt16
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mdtt16

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Will being older erase any advantage from being a urm?

I'm black, an immigrant, graduated summa cum laude, work in healthcare, but I'll be 46 when applying. Don't know if it matters but also raised a kid as a single parent and have been "homeless" after losing everything in the crash of '09.
 
Will being older erase any advantage from being a urm?

I'm black, an immigrant, graduated summa cum laude, work in healthcare, but I'll be 46 when applying. Don't know if it matters but also raised a kid as a single parent and have been "homeless" after losing everything in the crash of '09.
I don’t think so, I think with your life experiences that you could craft a nice story for applications.
 
Will being older erase any advantage from being a urm?

I'm black, an immigrant, graduated summa cum laude, work in healthcare, but I'll be 46 when applying. Don't know if it matters but also raised a kid as a single parent and have been "homeless" after losing everything in the crash of '09.
Stats matter more than age
 
Will being older erase any advantage from being a urm?

I'm black, an immigrant, graduated summa cum laude, work in healthcare, but I'll be 46 when applying. Don't know if it matters but also raised a kid as a single parent and have been "homeless" after losing everything in the crash of '09.
Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. One of them is ~52 and is currently a resident in Southern CA. She was stellar.