Older US IMG Wanting FM Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldMan IMG

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm an older med student US IMG, 42 YO when I graduate, wanting to land a residency in FM. I do not have a strong Step 1 Score at all, but did pass first attempt (<200 ouch yeah I know). I've done very well in all my cores and shelf exams, and I feel good in my prep for Step 2. My basic plan is to apply to every single place, big time $$.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been in the same boat, or can offer advice other than my plan of mass application to every residency spot?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Why call yourself old

Will be closed to 50 by the time I graduate

Yes. Apply broadly.

Look into community program.

Others here with experience in the process may certainly chip in

I don't frequent here often

g/luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am an international medical graduate from India , passed my medical school in the year 2013, did my MD in radiation oncology from India in 2016. I have passed the usmle step 1 with score of 231, step 2 Ck 242 and step 2 cs all in first attempt. I am currently doing observerhips in Chicago, I have completed observerships in cardiology, nephrology from elmhurst memorial hospital , illinois 8 weeks, have a 4 week radiation oncology observership at RUSH university medical centre. , 4 week observership in neuro oncology from RUSH university, chicago . I have 3 letters of recommendations from RUSH university. I am interested in shifting to medical oncology for which i want to do internal medicine. I also have 12 publications and a research thesis from india. What are my chances ? I am planning to apply for 2019 match year. I am also planning to take the step 3 before the applications.

Last edited:
Anyone match with similar stats as the original poster?