Oldest US MEd SCHOOL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocean11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI does anyone know the oldest US med school? I'm very interested... so far the oldest I've come across is NYMC 1860... anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

I think, could be wrong, but it's UPenn.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's definitely Penn. I think Columbia is second (?).

yeah i think it's penn but columbia was the first to actually confer the MD degree.

Johns Hopkins was the first "Modern" medical school with a structured basic science and formal clinical curriculum.

what year was UPENN med school started in?

and how about Hopkins?

thanks

ocean11 said:
what year was UPENN med school started in?

and how about Hopkins?

thanks

UPenn = 1765

Johns Hopkins 1893

Interestingly enough, Johns Hopkins first chief of medicine and perhaps the most famous instructor of medicine ever, Sir William Osler, came from UPenn!

exmike said:
Johns Hopkins was the first "Modern" medical school with a structured basic science and formal clinical curriculum.

i wouldn't go quite that far. JH was the first w/ formal clinical clerkships, but they weren't the first w/ a structured basic sci. curriculum. that was probably penn. interestingly, it was william osler who instituted the clinical clerkships at JHU, after they had been a staple of med school in europe and canada for a long time.

oh, and osler was only at penn for a very short while, he graduated from, and started at mcgill.

Mr. Rosewater said:
i wouldn't go quite that far. JH was the first w/ formal clinical clerkships, but they weren't the first w/ a structured basic sci. curriculum. that was probably penn. interestingly, it was william osler who instituted the clinical clerkships at JHU, after they had been a staple of med school in europe and canada for a long time.

oh, and osler was only at penn for a very short while, he graduated from, and started at mcgill.

Oh yeah, i didnt mean to say that they were the first to have a a stuctured basic sciences curriculum, just the first to have both that and clinical clerkships as part of the formal education - essentially pioneering the model that every US medical school uses today.

The oldest is LSU Shreveport founded in 1523 by Hernado De Soto as part of a Spanish land grant.

Before the flexnor report in our century medical education was a mixed bag. The quality of education provided was unregulated and admission standards were much lower.
JHU was the first medical school to require that medical students have an undergraduate degree.

From the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center website:

Kings College was founded in 1754 by royal charter from King George II, one of six colleges in the American colonies at the time. The others were Harvard, William and Mary, Yale, University of Pennsylvania, and Princeton. As a result of nationalistic sentiments which culminated in the American Revolutionary War, the college was renamed Columbia College, after Christopher Columbus. The Medical Department of King's College was founded in 1767. This was the second medical school in the American colonies and the first to grant a medical degree. In 1807, the College of Physicians and Surgeons (P&S) was founded as a rival institution in the City of New York, but in 1813 it merged with Columbia College's Medical Department. The new entity became known as P&S. The Presbyterian Hospital (PH) was founded in 1868. In 1928, the Hospital moved from its first location at 70th Street and Park Avenue to its present site in Washington Heights on the banks of the Hudson River. In moving, the PH joined with P&S at a time when the academic medical center was a new concept. The resulting Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center was the first such academic medical center in the United States.

So looks like UPenn is the first medical school, Columbia the second and the first to confer the Medical degree.

The answer is UPenn, and I believe it was founded by Benjamin Franklin.