OMFR residency/field curosity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently learned that I'm really interested in oral radiology. Obviously huge drawbacks to this specialty are lack of residency positions, low pay, and not earning during residency years... So, a few questions:

(Background: I'm about top ~20th percentile with little other resume, 4.0 undergrad GPA, and want to get more involved with radiology at my school.)

1) I hate wasting time and don't want to completely ruin earning potential. So, I think if I decided this path I would apply to OMFR residencies while still applying to AEGD/GPR programs. I like dentistry and it's wide variety, but think I'd really enjoy radiology. So, if I don't get into OMFR right off the bat I don't think it'd be worth the time/debt/earning to apply again. Would this hurt me to apply to both radiology and general practice residencies in the same cycle?
2) Is a MS/PHD required over just getting a certificate to teach?
3) Do most of these programs make you do a thesis?
4) In a university teaching role, is it mostly just teaching and looking at cases, or is a lot of research demanded?
5) What kind of salary do much OMFR's make at universities?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not sure what the university job market is like for an oral radiology, will likely need to work for a dental school. Hospitals or other departments would look to use a general radiologist or neuro-radiologist

Not sure what the university job market is like for an oral radiology, will likely need to work for a dental school. Hospitals or other departments would look to use a general radiologist or neuro-radiologist

It's relatively tough to find information about all of this due to it being a newish specialty branch of dentistry. But yes, it does seem that most all jobs will be at a dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would contact American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology they may be able to provide you with information. but one of the biggest private groups is Beam Readers
They could potentially direct you to someone who could give you some insight.
I just want to add that all those companies will certainly be "selling" the prospect of how great this speciality will be. Take it as 2 cents and do not put too much weight on what they say, do you own research. Think about it, if the total amount of dental workloads is dramatically reduced due to COVID, and all specialities are relied on referrals to survive, how do you think it would affect this newest and smallest speciality?