This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HariSeldon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm not new to SDN, but this is my first time posting. My question is on the differences in surgical capabilities that the various residencies for the following specialities provie : (a) Oral & Maxillofacial, (b) Otolaryngology-Head and Neck, and (c) Plastics. And this is just in the head and neck areas. I was trying to answer this question myself by looking on hospital websites, but the curriculum for residencies is generally very sparce and I only found a couple of hospitals that publish privelleges/credentialling requirements online.

And Im not really bothered about the general convention in specific hospitals or cities, so obviously in Hospital A, ENT may take Patient X, while OMF take Pateint Y, while in Hospital B its reversed. Rather Im looking for what procedures would a surgeon out of residency be qualified to perform in the head and neck. So things like skull base tumors, neck pathologies, facial reconstruction, complec facial trauma etc.

If this question has been asked and answered before Id love if anybody could just copy over any of the good threads, rather than repeating the information that'd be great either way.

Cheers,
Hari

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I'm not new to SDN, but this is my first time posting. My question is on the differences in surgical capabilities that the various residencies for the following specialities provie : (a) Oral & Maxillofacial, (b) Otolaryngology-Head and Neck, and (c) Plastics. And this is just in the head and neck areas. I was trying to answer this question myself by looking on hospital websites, but the curriculum for residencies is generally very sparce and I only found a couple of hospitals that publish privelleges/credentialling requirements online.

And Im not really bothered about the general convention in specific hospitals or cities, so obviously in Hospital A, ENT may take Patient X, while OMF take Pateint Y, while in Hospital B its reversed. Rather Im looking for what procedures would a surgeon out of residency be qualified to perform in the head and neck. So things like skull base tumors, neck pathologies, facial reconstruction, complec facial trauma etc.

If this question has been asked and answered before Id love if anybody could just copy over any of the good threads, rather than repeating the information that'd be great either way.

Cheers,
Hari

All 3 should be able to do complex facial trauma.

Skull base and most neck pathologies outside of like melanoma should be ENT only though OMFS at some rare institutions does the head and neck cancer.

All 3 do recon but prs/ent do the most. not many omfs people want the head and neck lifestyle. Crank out the wizzies for $$$.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.