OMFS externships AFTER submitting apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lionelhutz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Is it a good idea to do an externship during summer break in August after turning in the applications for 2009? Does it look bad? Does anyone even care? I've only done two externships and I was thinking about doing one more during my school's summer break.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I secured my summer break externship already. I was thinking exactly like you mentioned. But I thought it would look nice on the contrary. They see you in august and they will start handling the applications in september. So I thought it may increase the chances to get an interview. You will be fresh in their memories.My humble opinion is, go for it. But one thing though. So many schools saud summer externships application has a deadline by march. I hope you can find a place which does not impose this deadline. Goodluck.

Very rarely is it bad to get more experience and show interest. If you're concerned about the volume of externship time on your application, you can list "projected externships." If you do that, though, be sure that you actually go to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Yahtzee. I externed at the program I matched at last August! Put it on the application. If you don't go, just be up front about it.

Hey, I knocked out two after apps - it wasn't an issue. Just make sure you do them if you list them and put the dates. your interviews will be after them anyway.