OMFS internship but unsure about OMFS specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamdawalrus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it frowned upon to apply for an OMFS internship to gain the surgical skills and see what it's like but not be 100% set on wanting to apply for OMFS afterwards? From what I've read it seems that most applicants do it because they are set on OMFS and want to strengthen their application.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it frowned upon to apply for an OMFS internship to gain the surgical skills and see what it's like but not be 100% set on wanting to apply for OMFS afterwards? From what I've read it seems that most applicants do it because they are set on OMFS and want to strengthen their application.
Yeah that would be weird. You’d also lose a lot of your general dentistry skills, if you ended up going down that route. Just do a GPR/AEGD with a large surgical focus.

Reactions: 1 user
Plus from what I’ve seen on my externships there’s not much surgical skill you gain. Depending on the program obviously but interns are the ones doing all the grub towel, notes, consent signing them after maybe starting an iV they assist or chart. Regardless if your categorical or non categorica most intern/1st years don’t do much that would personally gain you surgical skills that would be worth the fade off of poor salary and losing touch with the rest of dentistry. The plus side is great experience in pt management and hospital based dentistry etc

Members don't see this ad :)
^^ uhh what?
When i did my internship I took out a crap ton of teeth and was a large part of the outpatient clinic so the upper levels could do the "cool stuff". which entailed what ever they thought was interesting. You'll take out a lot of teeth under local.

There are internships out there where you you will do all the scut work and take out less than 10 teeth...

ok. here you go. want to be busy and learn the mystery and wonder of elevators and handpieces. head over to wonderful sunny Detroit and ask how you can become one of the infamous SJ boyz. St John's providence. for clinic you'll have A weeks and B weeks, so half at the D school where you'll do harder procedures and half at a community FQHC clinic where you'll be the "oral surgeon". i did 360k$ in teeth that year at the community clinic by itself.

ok. here you go. want to be busy and learn the mystery and wonder of elevators and handpieces. head over to wonderful sunny Detroit and ask how you can become one of the infamous SJ boyz. St John's providence. for clinic you'll have A weeks and B weeks, so half at the D school where you'll do harder procedures and half at a community FQHC clinic where you'll be the "oral surgeon". i did 360k$ in teeth that year at the community clinic by itself.

What do you mean by 360k?