OMFS lifestyle during residency

Started by vize
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i heard usc is basically a trauma factory but that is hearsay from residents of other programs.
 
I think trauma will make someone a great surgeon though...just my opinion...
 
I think trauma will make someone a great surgeon though...just my opinion...

Makes you a good trauma surgeon. I imagine you'd know how to access and plate any bone in the facial skeleton. I'm not sure how it would help you do TMJ, orthognathic, iliac crest, ribs, tibia, wizzies, implants, and all the other stuff. Don't get me wrong, trauma is extremely important and I wish I got some more of it. However, there is a limited amount of operating time and filling it with mandible fractures displaces other surgeries.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just curious, which of you omfs residents have your program under the 80 hr/week ACGME regulations? or rather, since it seems like most of you have the incredibly awesome 90-100 hr/week....so which programs ARE under the regulations?