OMFS Program interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also took the AMTRAK from New Orleans to Birmingham and from St. Louis to Kansas City. It was awesome. They had plugs for my laptop and iPod, and the seats were more like the first class plane seats. When cities are around four hours apart (driving time), you can take a train in about the same amount of time that it takes to go to the airport, go through the checkpoints, board, connect, get your luggage, etc. It sure is a lot more relaxing than travelling through an airport.

Members don't see this ad.

Univ of Ill Chicago via mail

Alabama 11/14 and 11/15, or 12/12 and 12/13
Allegheny General Hospital - 11/05
Baylor 12/12
Boston University: 12/6
Case Western Reserve University: 10/28 & 10/29 and Nov 18-19
Carle Clinic 11/2, 11/15, 11/17
Christiana Care 11/30 and 12/6
Cincinnati 10/29, 11/5
Columbia 11/8, 11/30, 12/10
Drexel University 11/19
Emory, 11/18 and 19, or 11/20 and 11/21
Houston 11/7, 11/21, 12/5
Indiana 11/1
Iowa 10/28-29, 11/11-12
Knoxville 11/14, 11/21
Loma Linda 12/4
Louisville 11/3, 11/15, 11/29
Loyola 11/11
LSU Shrevport 11/14
Mayo 11/7-8
MetroHealth Cleveland
Memphis 11/7 or 11/14
Minnesota 11/17
Oregon - 11/7, 11/28
Parkland 12/1, 12/2
Penn 11/8, 11/18
St. Raphael's 11/10
Thomas Jefferson Hospital 11/29
Tufts - 12/7, 12/8
UCLA 11/7
UCSF 11/4
USC 11/30, 12/1
U. of Connecticut 11/14-15
U. of Florida 10/24, 10/31, 12/12
U. of Florida Jacksonville
U. of Illinois Chicago 12/9, 12/12, 12/13
U. of Kentucky 10/26
U. of Maryland - 11/18 and 11/19 or 12/2 and 12/3
UMDNJ: 12/14th
University of Miami
University of Michigan 11/4 or 11/5
University of Nebraska 12/7
University of North Carolina 11/11
University of Pacific
Vanderbilt 11/2

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
I hate this crap. Why can't anyone tell you that before you make your travel plans? Now I'm screwed.
We sent out a letter to everyone we like.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNLV OMS WANABE said:
I should have known. So much for shreveport, now I'll be stuck with the punks in Dallas :laugh:
Those Dallas bastards...

Add Montefiore via email

Baylor 12/12
Cincinnati 10/29, 11/5
Drexel University 11/19
Indiana 11/1
Iowa 10/28-29, 11/11-12
Knoxville 11/14, 11/21
Loma Linda 12/4
Loyola 11/11
LSU Shrevport 11/14
Mayo 11/7-8
MetroHealth Cleveland
Memphis 11/7 or 11/14
Minnesota 11/17
Montefiore 12/12, 12/19
Oregon - 11/7, 11/28
Parkland 12/1, 12/2
Penn 11/8, 11/18
St. Raphael's 11/10
Tufts - 12/7, 12/8
UCLA 11/7
UCSF 11/4
USC 11/30, 12/1
U. of Kentucky 10/26
University of Miami
University of Pacific
Vanderbilt 11/2[/QUOTE]

when did metrohealth send out their invitations? by what means?
Thanks

I got a phone call from metrohealth about a week ago.

does anyone know how many people Jefferson Hospital interviews?

Baylor 12/12
Cincinnati 10/29, 11/5
Drexel University 11/19
Indiana 11/1
Iowa 10/28-29, 11/11-12
Knoxville 11/14, 11/21
Loma Linda 12/4
Loyola 11/11
LSU Shrevport 11/14
Mayo 11/7-8
MetroHealth Cleveland
Memphis 11/7 or 11/14
Minnesota 11/17
Montefiore 12/12, 12/19
Oregon - 11/7, 11/28
Parkland 12/1, 12/2
Penn 11/8, 11/18
Pitt 12/9
St. Raphael's 11/10
Tufts - 12/7, 12/8
UCLA 11/7
UCSF 11/4
USC 11/30, 12/1
U. of Kentucky 10/26
University of Miami
University of Pacific
Vanderbilt 11/2

Pitt - Call

ZMC DMD said:
does anyone know how many people Jefferson Hospital interviews?

they told me 20-24 for 2 spots.

just checked mail for 1st time in weeks and see UIC interview dated 10/10 :eek: anyways, what does anyone know about this program? the 5 year track at least?

Does anyone know if programs that have already sent out notices for interviews send out additional notices later on?? Paricularly, UNC, KY, and PITT??

Members don't see this ad :)
TiggerJSA said:
Does anyone know if programs that have already sent out notices for interviews send out additional notices later on?? Paricularly, UNC, KY, and PITT??

Pitt told me (last night) they were only sending information to those that they confirmed over the phone for an interview (12/9/05). KY's last interview is next week so I don't think they will be sending out any more info.

Yep, having a big say in who gets in is a big + to your program.

OMFSCardsFan said:
. It's a good system because it continues a trend of residents that get along well with each other.

I hate you.

We've had 3-4 people not accept interviews (I assume because of conflicting interviews). I am looking to suggest a movement of our interview dates. Which conflicts are the most common and what dates would be appealing to you as applicants? We are a four year program. Do you think it would be better to move up our PASS deadline (currently Oct 15) and interview earlier or interview later? If you don't feel comfortable posting, pm me.

November is way too crowded. I've had to decline 3-4 because of conflicts. I think there should be more in december, except dec. 5th (Part 2 boards). Loma Linda pulled that one. The secretary told me I needed to decide between boards and their interview. I told her I'd rather go to Esclavo's crappy residency than to theirs anyways :laugh:

esclavo said:
We've had 3-4 people not accept interviews (I assume because of conflicting interviews). I am looking to suggest a movement of our interview dates. Which conflicts are the most common and what dates would be appealing to you as applicants? We are a four year program. Do you think it would be better to move up our PASS deadline and interview earlier (currently Oct 15) or interview later? If you don't feel comfortable posting, pm me.

which program are you from? Just want to see if I applied to your program. Will you invite other ppl now because of the declines? if you don't want to reveal your secret identity, at least tell me what state your program is in. thx

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
November is way too crowded. I've had to decline 3-4 because of conflicts. I think there should be more in december, except dec. 5th (Part 2 boards). Loma Linda pulled that one. The secretary told me I needed to decide between boards and their interview. I told her I'd rather go to Esclavo's crappy residency than to theirs anyways :laugh:

Not a tough choice. I'd even rather read your entire application than take part II boards.... I'd even rather miss an entire day of operating to cart you around while blowing sunshine up your !@#$ than take part II boards....in fact the only thing I'd rather NOT do and instead take part II boards, is rank you higher than dead last... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Cause it would break my heart to have to make you cry and get down on the floor in the fetal position for your entire first year of residency. Thanks for the input. I had a feeling December might be a better time to interview. What is a draw back of an October interview?

UNLV OMS WANABE said:

Some tough choices. I had to miss Part II for the same reason last yr. ended up taking it after the match. its actually nice taking it after the match 'cause then all you gotta do is pass.

esclavo said:
Not a tough choice. I'd even rather read your entire application than take part II boards.... I'd even rather miss an entire day of operating to cart you around while blowing sunshine up your !@#$ than take part II boards....in fact the only thing I'd rather NOT do and instead take part II boards, is rank you higher than dead last... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Cause it would break my heart to have to make you cry and get down on the floor in the fetal position for your entire first year of residency. Thanks for the input. I had a feeling December might be a better time to interview. What is a draw back of an October interview?

I think the only thing wrong with October is that it is so far away from Match day. I think programs that interview in December have the advantage because you always remember the last few the best.

north2southOMFS said:
I hate you.
Dude, get over it. I'm not going to give you a reach-around every time...

WestCoast said:
Some tough choices. I had to miss Part II for the same reason last yr. ended up taking it after the match. its actually nice taking it after the match 'cause then all you gotta do is pass.
I did the same thing...

OMFSCardsFan said:
Dude, get over it. I'm not going to give you a reach-around every time...
Damn.....you're a sick bunch of dudes.

Now where did that gloryhole website go?

Thought I might throw this out there. I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible for each program I'm interviewing at. Can anyone offer some feedback on Alabama, Parkland, Michigan, Oregon, Maryland, LSU Shreveport, Louisville, and Jacksonville?? All feedback, posivitve/negative, and details are appreciated. Thanks to any assistance!!

TiggerJSA said:
Thought I might throw this out there. I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible for each program I'm interviewing at. Can anyone offer some feedback on Alabama, Parkland, Michigan, Oregon, Maryland, LSU Shreveport, Louisville, and Jacksonville?? All feedback, posivitve/negative, and details are appreciated. Thanks to any assistance!!

The positive thing about all of these residencies is that they'll train you so you can someday (if you match and then if you survive) stand before boards and possibly become a board certified OMFS. The negative thing about these programs is you don't know which one, even after your interview, isn't going to rank you dead last... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The reason you are going on an interview is to answer your own question. We won't tell you what you want to know before you ask specific questions. During your interview you have to be intelligent enough to ask the right questions to get your answers and then perceptive enough to see what is really there. What you would deem negative, I might find positive. Subjective.... have fun on your interviews....

esclavo said:
The positive thing about all of these residencies is that they'll train you so you can someday (if you match and then if you survive) stand before boards and possibly become a board certified OMFS. The negative thing about these programs is you don't know which one, even after your interview, isn't going to rank you dead last... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The reason you are going on an interview is to answer your own question. We won't tell you what you want to know before you ask specific questions. During your interview you have to be intelligent enough to ask the right questions to get your answers and then perceptive enough to see what is really there. What you would deem negative, I might find positive. Subjective.... have fun on your interviews....

Thank you Confuscious. :sleep: The amount of useless information that you provided will undoubtedly be of insurmountable importance to my decision making. :thumbdown: Again, I'll ask to anyone else for some specific feedback about Alabama, Oregon, Michigan, Maryland, Parkland, LSU Shreveport, Louisville, and Jacksonville. I welcome any positive/negative feedback with details appreciated. Thanks to anyone who can avoid generalities and fatherly advice such as esclavo's!

TiggerJSA said:
Thank you Confuscious. :sleep: The amount of useless information that you provided will undoubtedly be of insurmountable importance to my decision making. :thumbdown: Again, I'll ask to anyone else for some specific feedback about Alabama, Oregon, Michigan, Maryland, Parkland, LSU Shreveport, Louisville, and Jacksonville. I welcome any positive/negative feedback with details appreciated. Thanks to anyone who can avoid generalities and fatherly advice such as esclavo's!

If you don't understand what Esclavo just said, then the interview process will be a complete waste of your time. I always love it when people ask for advice and then tell you your advice was worthless; heaven help your chiefs!

TiggerJSA said:

Your mother is far too ugly for there to be any chance that I could possibly be your father, but you do have a stubborn streak that does make me think there is an outside chance... nothing is impossible (after all that is why why you are applying to OMFS-right?). I'm sorry that you found my words useless..... (sigh) oh well.... Could anyone tell me about life, positive/negative things with details appreciated? Thanks to anyone who can avoid generalities that would resemble my general question...

TiggerJSA said:
All feedback, posivitve/negative, and details are appreciated. Thanks to any assistance!!

English is my worst subject and my reading comprehension is right there next to English but do I see the phrase "All feedback (I think Pooh means information not feedback) positive/negative " and "any assistance" written by tigger? Until I can get back to the low-rider and reach through the chain steering wheel to grab my English dictionary on the dash board, I'll have to be confused and wondering what he really wanted.

esclavo said:
English is my worst subject and my reading comprehension is right there next to English but do I see the phrase "All feedback (I think Pooh means information not feedback) positive/negative " and "any assistance" written by tigger? Until I can get back to the low-rider and reach through the chain steering wheel to grab my English dictionary on the dash board, I'll have to be confused and wondering what he really wanted.

Hmmm, I may be mistaken, but if one were to read my original post, one might be under the impression that I mentioned a list of programs I was seeking information about specifically, and not inquiring about advice with regards to the interview process, how to make thoughtful decisions in rankings, etc. So, if you'd like to take my words out of context to fit your intentions, continue to waste everyone's time. Furthermore, to resort to hackneyed mother references and extremely clever plays on words :rolleyes: deserves my highest regard for your wit and dedication to bettering yourself linguistically.

Now, forgive me for my previous statement which belittled your attempt for assistance, for I am lethargic from the deluge of others' endless well of generalized advice. Thank you to all who have properly interpreted the intent of my first post and replied accordingly! Best of luck to all who are applying, and to those who are currently earning their knowledge!

TiggerJSA said:

I didn't apply to most of these programs when I went through the cycle, but I will tell you what I do know:

Alabama: Phenomenal program in all respects. The only downfall is living in Alabama (ONLY if you consider that a downfall). Birmingham is supposed to be a nice town, but not if you don't really want to be in the south.

Parkland: Speaks for itself as one of the nations best.

Michigan: I don't know too much about it. Nice name, but I heard they are kinda malignant. See for yourself.

Oregon: Big on cancer, solid program otherwise too.

Maryland: Residents were NOT happy there. Pretty malignant program. Do a lot, but not a happy place.

LSU-Shreveport: Supposed to be one of the best up and comming programs over the past few years. I believe they do a lot and cut a lot.

Louisville: Don't know too much about them, but they do a lot of tibial bone harvesting procedures under sedation.

Jacksonville: I have no idea.

You are interviewing at SOLID programs. Good luck.

OMFSdoc said:
I didn't apply to most of these programs when I went through the cycle, but I will tell you what I do know:

Alabama: Phenomenal program in all respects. The only downfall is living in Alabama (ONLY if you consider that a downfall). Birmingham is supposed to be a nice town, but not if you don't really want to be in the south.

Parkland: Speaks for itself as one of the nations best.

Michigan: I don't know too much about it. Nice name, but I heard they are kinda malignant. See for yourself.

Oregon: Big on cancer, solid program otherwise too.

Maryland: Residents were NOT happy there. Pretty malignant program. Do a lot, but not a happy place.

LSU-Shreveport: Supposed to be one of the best up and comming programs over the past few years. I believe they do a lot and cut a lot.

Louisville: Don't know too much about them, but they do a lot of tibial bone harvesting procedures under sedation.

Jacksonville: I have no idea.

You are interviewing at SOLID programs. Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback! Helps a lot! Hope all is well...

TiggerJSA said:
Hmmm, I may be mistaken, but if one were to read my original post, one might be under the impression that I mentioned a list of programs I was seeking information about specifically, and not inquiring about advice with regards to the interview process, how to make thoughtful decisions in rankings, etc. So, if you'd like to take my words out of context to fit your intentions, continue to waste everyone's time. Furthermore, to resort to hackneyed mother references and extremely clever plays on words :rolleyes: deserves my highest regard for your wit and dedication to bettering yourself linguistically.

Now, forgive me for my previous statement which belittled your attempt for assistance, for I am lethargic from the deluge of others' endless well of generalized advice. Thank you to all who have properly interpreted the intent of my first post and replied accordingly! Best of luck to all who are applying, and to those who are currently earning their knowledge!

All you really needed to say is, please spoon feed me. Heaven help your senior residents. I hope they have a years supply of baby food ready.... somewhere out there is some lucky program...

esclavo said:
All you really needed to say is, please spoon feed me. Heaven help your senior residents. I hope they have a years supply of baby food ready.... somewhere out there is some lucky program...
Have I missed the point of this forum?? I would expect more from such an omniscient, exceptional scholar as yourself esclavo. I was unaware that there were actual OMS residents on this thing that could afford the time and mental effort to engage in such prepubescent retorts to an obviously unqualified, needy OMS applicant who has no independence and must always have his hand held :laugh: . Having your petty comments "spoon fed" to me is enough to make anyone sick. "Heaven help" health care when you are cut lose from your program...

Washington Hosiptal Center
University of Connecticut

Baylor 12/12
Cincinnati 10/29, 11/5
Drexel University 11/19
Indiana 11/1
Iowa 10/28-29, 11/11-12
Knoxville 11/14, 11/21
Loma Linda 12/4
Loyola 11/11
LSU Shrevport 11/14
Mayo 11/7-8
MetroHealth Cleveland
Memphis 11/7 or 11/14
Minnesota 11/17
Montefiore 12/12, 12/19
Oregon - 11/7, 11/28
Parkland 12/1, 12/2
Penn 11/8, 11/18
Pitt 12/9
St. Raphael's 11/10
Tufts - 12/7, 12/8
UCLA 11/7
UCSF 11/4
USC 11/30, 12/1
U. of Connecticut 11/7-8 and 11/14-15
U. of Kentucky 10/26
University of Miami
University of Pacific
Vanderbilt 11/2
Washington Hospital 12/3

hey would anyone interview at Tokyo OMFS? I dont think I will but am wondering... Darn these freagn conflicts!!!

esclavo said:
We've had 3-4 people not accept interviews (I assume because of conflicting interviews). I am looking to suggest a movement of our interview dates. Which conflicts are the most common and what dates would be appealing to you as applicants? We are a four year program. Do you think it would be better to move up our PASS deadline (currently Oct 15) and interview earlier or interview later? If you don't feel comfortable posting, pm me.

November sucks... at least 11/7, 11/14, 11/21... go for Decemebr 7th :oops:

Adding Rochester as well

Baylor 12/12
Cincinnati 10/29, 11/5
Drexel University 11/19
Indiana 11/1
Iowa 10/28-29, 11/11-12
Knoxville 11/14, 11/21
Loma Linda 12/4
Loyola 11/11
LSU Shrevport 11/14
Mayo 11/7-8
MetroHealth Cleveland
Memphis 11/7 or 11/14
Minnesota 11/17
Montefiore 12/12, 12/19
Oregon - 11/7, 11/28
Parkland 12/1, 12/2
Penn 11/8, 11/18
Pitt 12/9
St. Raphael's 11/10
Tufts - 12/7, 12/8
UCLA 11/7
UCSF 11/4
USC 11/30, 12/1
U. of Connecticut 11/7-8 and 11/14-15
U. of Kentucky 10/26
University of Miami
University of Pacific
University of Rochester 12/3
Vanderbilt 11/2
Washington Hospital 12/3

GatorDMD said:
hey would anyone interview at UCONN over Oregon? LSU-Sh? I dont think I will but am wondering... Darn these freagn conflicts!!!
I was in the same predicament. From the overall consensus of what I've heard about these programs, Oregon and LSU Shreve are very strong programs with UCONN not being the program it used to be. Much of the feedback I've received about UCONN has not been positive. Hope this helps...

GatorDMD said:
hey would anyone interview at UCONN over Oregon? LSU-Sh? I dont think I will but am wondering... Darn these freagn conflicts!!!
I didn't interview at Oregon but I did at the other 2. I really liked UCONN. It's a really pretty part of the country. They sometimes don't fill their spots for some reason. I think it's because people tend to apply regionally and all the big-city yankees from that area go visit UCONN and are like "dude...where are we supposed to go clubbing dude?"

GatorDMD said:
Ooooohhhh, buddy...you're in trouble just for asking that question...

OMFSCardsFan said:
Ooooohhhh, buddy...you're in trouble just for asking that question...
GatorDMD said:
hey would anyone interview at UCONN over Oregon? LSU-Sh? I DONT THINK I WILL but am wondering... Darn these freagn conflicts!!!

Awe come on...cut me a little slack :oops:

TiggerJSA said:
I was in the same predicament. From the overall consensus of what I've heard about these programs, Oregon and LSU Shreve are very strong programs with UCONN not being the program it used to be. Much of the feedback I've received about UCONN has not been positive. Hope this helps...

yeah I came to the same conclusion. :oops:

TiggerJSA said:
Have I missed the point of this forum?? I would expect more from such an omniscient, exceptional scholar as yourself esclavo. I was unaware that there were actual OMS residents on this thing that could afford the time and mental effort to engage in such prepubescent retorts to an obviously unqualified, needy OMS applicant who has no independence and must always have his hand held :laugh: . Having your petty comments "spoon fed" to me is enough to make anyone sick. "Heaven help" health care when you are cut lose from your program...

I love it. Just make me a promise that you won't change and automatically become humble when you walk into your residency. On your interviews ask this question of the attendings interviewing you, "can you tell me anything positive/negative about your program?"

When you walk into your first operation, look at your attending and ask, "can you tell me what I need to know to do this case?" Or when your first patient has a hypertensive crisis on the floor, ask your senior resident "can you tell me what I need to know about hypertension?"

You've demonstrated well what other applicants should know about the interview. Ask specific questions that demonstrate you've actually had some exposure to OMFS. This is where guys who have done externships and networked with residents on those externships will shine. Instead of a questions like "What kind of stuff do you do here?" Ask questions like "how many orthognathic cases are done here in a year and how many of those does the chief resident get to cut at least half the case?" Instead of asking "Do you pull alot of teeth in your clinic?" Ask questions like what percentage of your clinical procedures are done with a sedation/IV anesthetic. As some of you already know, the tough interviews are when the attending turns to you and says, "Interview me for the next 15-20 minutes". Then your lack of exposure, insight into the specialty will show. Organize what you think is important to you. Do your homework. Don't ask questions that can be easily answered if you would just google the program and read yourself on the internet. It is like those guys in dental school who go in and ask, "what is on the test?" Be the guy that looks at each class and determines what he wants to know.

I've always got time and energy to make a point using questions like Tigger's as an object lesson. His question was like a big fat underarm pitch down the center of the plate. It reminds me when I was an intern writing my first set of post op orders and I just flatly looked at my senior and said, "what do I write?" After I got ripped a new hole through which I could eat or poop, I never made that mistake again. Tigger is still grumbling thinking I have verbally abused him. I have done him wrong, I have hurt his feelings. He hasn't seen anything yet. I'm one of the nicer ones in this profession of OMFS.

GatorDMD said:
Awe come on...cut me a little slack :oops:
I guess you better not forget that 12-pack...

I assume that you know I'm just f***ing with you...

OMFSCardsFan said:
I guess you better not forget that 12-pack...

I assume that you know I'm just f***ing with you...
im going to SAM'S CLUB for a 24 pack! :D

i knew you were joking. :scared: now i gotta go change the boxers :(