OMFS Programs Overview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,
I am interested in OMS and I would like to know what exams I need to take, and what I should do to improve my profile to be a strong applicant. Thanks much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

BU- OMFS good education, also the most malignant program that I have ever seen.

Reactions: 1 users
Parkland-UT Southwestern Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Overview

Parkland hasn’t had a full program update for some time now, so I’d like to distribute this information on behalf of our program. Most of this information will focus on the Parkland service; however, CMC/VA/JPS has and will continue to be an integral part of our surgical training.

I will start with the objective information that is frequently not included in these posts but often given during interviews. They can serve as a reference to the volume and scope of our program.

The Numbers:
Here are highlights of OR cases/experiences had from 2016-2017 for chief residents only. In addition to the numbers and scope, consider the amount that our upper levels actually do in the OR—the only way to know this for certain is to spend time at our program as an extern. 5th and 6th year residents frequently perform 100% of a case and are given autonomy to manage the OMFS service. This is not a program where the attending is always cutting half of a case, even on the “private” service. The attending is present for guidance, support, and help as needed but it is expected that as the chief, you can independently operate.

CODA Procedure Categories:
Trauma--730 (28%)
Pathology--683 (27%)
Orthognathic--439 (17%)
Reconstruction/Cosmetics--722 (28%)
Clinic Visits >20,000/year (Extractions, tori removal, post/pre-op evaluations, TMD, botox, post-trauma fillers, fat transfers, OAF closures, etc)

Detailed breakdown:
Mandible--379
Orbit--96
Mid-Upper Face--214
TMJ--106
Nerve Repair--31
Cleft lip/palate--33
Rhinoplasty--149
Cranial Vault/Transcranial--10
Tracheostomy--46
Implants--780
Infection--Way too many…

Average:
OR Procedures per Chief-- 643.5 (note-current accreditation standard is 175/chief)
1.7 OR Procedures/day/chief
12.3 OR Procedures/week/chief

OR days:
Parkland: 3.5
VA: 1
JPS: 5
CMC: 2.5
UTSW: 2

*each location has one chief and one 5th year, interns are assigned to either Parkland service or the private (UTSW/CMC) service*

Sedations are done at the Parkland outpatient clinic, JPS, VA, and at the UTSW private clinic on a daily basis.

Children’s, Parkland, and JPS are all Level One trauma hospitals.

6-year program with 5 resident per year. Attend UT Southwestern Medical School0 #1 ranked medical school in Texas and top 20 nationally.

Year 1:
July 1 to December 31 – four months of OMS, 1 month ENT, 1 month of Anesthesia
Janurary to July – First year of medical school, 1 month OMS, 1 month vacation (systems: MSK, GI, Neuro, Endocrine, etc.)

Our intern year time on service is spent managing the outpatient clinic, assisting in the operating room, rounding on and management of in-patients, etc.

Year 2:
July to December – Second year of medical school (continue systems)
January to June – Third year of medical school, 1 month OMS (USMLE step 1 taken ~Feburary, 6 weeks time off to study/vacation)

Year 3:
July to December – Third year of medical school (rotations in surgery, medicine, etc with USMLE licensing exams completed by November/December)
January to June – Electives, 1 month anesthesia, 2 months OMS.

Year 4:
PGY 1 year of general surgery (includes 2 months OMS, 5 months anesthesia (3 adult, 2 pediatric)
General surgery rotations include NSGY, SICU, peds surg, surg onc, MIS, etc

Year 5:
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (rotations through CMC, UTSW/Private, JPS, Parkland, VA)

Year 6:
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (rotations through CMC, UTSW/Private, JPS, Parkland, VA)

Total 34 OMS months on service, 7 months on anesthesia (5 months running room independently in 4th year, 1 month airway, 1 month on rotations including SICU)

OMS Full-Time Faculty:

Program director: Dr Thomas Schlieve, DDS, MD (Maxillofacial oncology and reconstructive surgery fellowship)

Dr Schlieve is our newly appointed program director and an amazing attending. He is the type to operate on anything and everything with concern for proper technique and unparalleled didactic training. Dr Schlieve has implemented impressive changes since his appointment to PD including a revamping of the weekly didactic curriculum and pursuing strengthening our program by volume, referral base, and quality opportunities for the residents.

Program Chair: Dr John Zuniga DMD, PhD (Specializing in TMJ, microneuro surgery)
Dr Michael Zide DMD (General OMS, soft tissue/MORS recon, implants)
Dr Joshua A Stone (Pediatric craniofacial fellowship)
Dr Richard Finn DDS (VA attending, implants, facial cosmetics)
Dr Aya Hamao-Sakamoto DDS, PhD (main OMS clinical faculty, does sedations)
Dr Mohammad Al-Obaidi DMD, MD (Parkland alumni, general OMS)
Dr Douglas Sinn, DDS, FACS (Former Chair, Craniofacial, TMJ)
Dr John Stella DDS, FACS (JPS Department Chair- Orthognathic and implants)
Dr Michael Warner DDS, PhD (JPS- General OMS, TMJ, Cosmetics)
Dr Herman Kao DDS, MD (JPS- Trauma, general OMS)
Dr Fayette Williams (JPS- Head and neck oncology/microvascular)
Dr Richard Patterson DDS (JPS- General OMS, Anesthesia)

Other faculty include general dentists, our maxillofacial prosthetist and guru Kenny Gambrell, as well as an orthodontist.

Didactics:
Weekly Wednesday night lecture series—Guest speakers are frequently invited: Dr. Ed Ellis, Dr. Michael Miloro, Dr. Larry Wolford, Dr. Jorge Gonzalez, Dr. Donald Romsa, Dr. Bruce Epker, Dr. GE Ghali, Dr. Myron Tucker, Dr. Douglas Sinn, Dr. Larry Cunningham, and many more participated this past year; The topics covered encompass the entire scope of OMS including oral pathology, reconstructive surgery, trauma, head and neck cancer, TMJ surgery, etc.

In addition, Monday morning case conference and Friday morning OMFS Seminar are proctored by Dr. Schlieve and other faculty to discuss operating room cases and cover the entire scope of OMFS in an organized lecture format.

Board preparation includes annual OMSITE exams and mock boards provided by faculty for chief residents. Residents frequently attend national OMS conferences, many holding positions in ROAAOMS.

Program Culture:
Perhaps the best part of our residency is the family atmosphere amongst faculty and residents. Residents spend a lot of time together and genuinely enjoy our program through and through. We take great pride in our service and are generally well respected amongst other specialties at UTSW/JPS/VA/Parkland. Interns and residents can expect to be given autonomy but never left out to dry. These intangibles are what truly provides an amazing resident experience.

Scope:
As you can see from the numbers provided, we are a full scope OMS program with faculty coverage for everything under the sun. We get most of our implant experience at the VA and JPS with chief residents in the past two years graduating with between 115-200+ implants, with room for expansion. We also have a resident implant program in our private clinic that continues to expand every year.

Upper-level residents participate in Wednesday Craniofacial clinics, a multi-specialty clinic at CMC Dallas where PRS, OMS, speech, nutrition, etc treatment plan craniofacial cases.

Call:
Call is taken by the interns on a q3-4 basis and covers all dental call (infections, etc) as well as trauma/face call q3 weeks (rotating with PRS and ENT). Call is to be taken in the hospital for 1st call providers and ranges from light (3-5 calls a day) to very busy (especially on trauma call). We cover Childrens, UTSW (Clements) and Parkland. Most calls come from Parkland or Childrens with no driving necessary; however the occasional call (~3 per week) comes from UTSW that is a 3 minute drive or 5 minute shuttle ride away.

Research:
All residents are expected to participate in at least one project during their tenure at the program with at least one national conference presentation. Our program facilitates those who have interest in research with many opportunities to get involved. Drs Finn, Zuniga, and Schlieve are consistently publishing in JOMS and other journals.

Dallas:
Dallas is an amazing city offering affordable housing and very open job market for significant others. Residents typically buy houses in the growing Dallas market but can rent for ~1300 for 1 bedroom, upscale and new apartment.

Alumni:
Our Parkland alumni are leaders in our field. Parkland is proud of our rich history and we continue to pursue opportunities to remain one of the premier training programs for OMFS. Our notable alumni include Department chairs, program directors, numerous program faculty, presidents of AAOMS and the, American Board of OMFS, and internationally respected and recognized surgeons across a broad scope. Some of our alumni are listed below:

Dr. RV Walker, Dr. Scott Boyd, Dr. Larry Cunningham, Dr. Ray Fonseca, Dr. Ghali Ghali, Dr. Alan Herford, Dr. Felice O’Ryan, Dr. Likith Reddy, Dr. Douglas Sinn, Dr. Trevor Treasure, Dr. Tim Turvey, Dr. Steve Schendel, Dr. John Stella, Dr. Roger West, Dr. Larry Wolford, Dr. Mike Zide, Dr. Rick Finn, Dr. Robert Alexander, Dr. James Bertz, Dr. Jim Burk Jr., Dr. Jeffrey Dean, Dr. Karel Deleeuw, Dr. Phillip Freeman, Dr. Nestor Karas, Dr. Mark Kohn, Dr. David C. Hoffman, Dr. John La Banc, Dr. Chris Crecelius, Dr. Kevin McBride, Dr. Mike Melugin, Dr. Brett Miles, Dr. Waldemar Polido, Dr. Jeff Moses, Dr. Noel Stoker, Dr. Cesar Guerrero, Dr. James Wilson, Dr. Steven Holmes, Dr. Joe Cillo, Dr. Dan Petrisor, Dr. Fayette Williams, Dr. David R Kang, Dr. Herman Kao, Dr. Brett Shirely, Dr. Neeraj Panchal, Dr. Ryan Mirchel, Dr. Alaaaldin Radwan, Dr. Andrew Read-Fuller.

Externship:
Our externs will work along side residents in our Parkland outpatient clinic, in the operating room, and participate in taking tooth and trauma call. Externs can spend time at JPS hospital and Children’s Hospital but unfortunately are not yet allowed to rotate at the VA or on the UT Southwestern Faculty service. We invite all 3rd and 4th year dental students to come and spend time at our program to see and judge for themselves how Parkland may be an opportunity to train with the best.

More information on applying to externship can be found at: Internship & Externship: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery - UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas

Thank you for taking the time to read this and feel free to contact me directly for any questions or concerns regarding this update.

Omar Kholaki
Parkland 2022

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2018 – 2019 OMS Internship Opportunity

Link to information about our program: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery | JPSHealth Network

In order to apply, please email the following to [email protected]:
1. Curriculum Vitae
2. Two letters of recommendation – from dental school faculty or current post-grad training program faculty
3. Personal Statement
4. Part 1 of NBDE score
5. NBME Comprehensive Basic Science score report
6. Transcripts from undergraduate and dental schools

Unique Aspects of the JPS OMS Internship

We offer a true full-scope experience for those looking to match in a competitive oral and maxillofacial surgery residency training program. Our interns receive exposure to dentoaveolar, head and neck trauma, head and neck cancer – including microvascular reconstructive surgery, orthognathic surgery and all its data-collection, diagnosis and treatment planning, Facial pain and of course operating room surgical experience.

The best way to describe what will be your clinical experience is to briefly outline a typical week for a John Peter Smith Hospital, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery intern:

• Monday is IV sedation day, with noon grand rounds for orthognathic reconstructive surgery presentations; at which, the interns will present comprehensive orthognathic surgery work-ups.

• Tuesday the OMFS clinic is dentoaveolar patients all day. We also are running a facial/oral lesion clinic, which is primarily skin cancer diagnosis and removal and follow-ups from cancer resection surgery from the previous weeks. Additionally, we are in the operating room all day, primarily for facial trauma.

• Wednesday is extraction clinic in the morning and the afternoon is facial pain clinic, specifically for the diagnosis and management of facial pain/TMJ disorders. We are also in the operating room all day.

• Thursday the OMFS clinic sees dentoaveolar patients all day. Thursday is also our main OR time for cancer resection and reconstruction surgeries.

• Friday is full mouth extraction/IV sedation clinic and pre-op work ups for the next week.

The department of oral and maxillofacial surgery covers all the facial trauma call for the hospital 24/7/365.

Our interns work alongside the 5th and 6th year oral and maxillofacial surgery residents from the UT-Southwestern/Parkland training program.

Our interns will have unrivaled support for their application to advanced training in oral & maxillofacial surgery. Including regular lectures, workshops and mock interviews to prepare them for the rigorous demands of application into an oral & maxillofacial surgery residency program.

Attendings and Their Specialties:

John P. Stella, DDS, FACS, Chairman and Program Director – Orthognathic Surgery & Dental Implants

Michael R. Warner, DDS, PhD – TMJ/Facial Pain

Herman Kao, DDS, MD – Facial Trauma

Fayette C. Williams, DDS, MD, FACS – Head & Neck Oncology

Richard Patterson, DDS – IV Sedation

If you have questions, please email [email protected].

So I have been trying to read up on OMFS residencies NYU and BU... both are great programs in my opinion however I am open to other people’s perspectives. If you have any criteria on PROs and Cons of these programs please let me know because I can’t seem to find anything on these programs more than a word or two. If you had to choose between the two which would you choose given the opportunity to match at these wonderful programs? Thanks In advance

Last edited:
So I know that Montefiore has a 5k per year tuition, but they don't have anything about salary on their website. Do they offer a salary and have tuition?

Thanks

hi everyone
I'm planning to get into a residency program. how should I prepare myself to be a strong candidate to be considered in an interview? I'm doing the dds program at this time. any advice would be great.
thank you

hi everyone
I'm planning to get into a residency program. how should I prepare myself to be a strong candidate to be considered in an interview? I'm doing the dds program at this time. any advice would be great.
thank you

This would be a great topic for a new thread of your own.

Anyone know anything about Geisinger? It's hospital coverage, clinic, surgeries, scope, implants, sedations, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have information on the OMFS program at MUSC?

Reactions: 2 users
Any new info on these programs?

Denver
Arizona
Galveston
UT Memphis
Minneapolis

Hello friends,
Hope you are doing well
I want some suggestion regarding OMFS Speciality.
Well m done with B.D.S. from india and palnning for speciality in OMFS.
Soo improve my cv and getting the OMFS what kind of courses i have to do and can someone tell me exactly how long is this OMFS speciality course.
TIA
hope m getting the best suggestion from you guys..

OHSU OMFS Program Overview

OHSU has not had a full program update on here for a while now, so we wanted to share this information on behalf of our program. We will share some general info first, and then take you through our program chronologically. We do hope this program update provides a clear breakdown on how diverse our case load is (i.e. not just oncology), clearly defines our OHSU/Legacy relationship, and characterizes the unique culture of our program. In addition, we hope future OMFS applicants, who might have thought this was not the right program for them, may consider OHSU after reading this detailed breakdown. We embedded some links for more info and photos.We embedded some links for more info and photos.

Location: Portland, OR - Oregon Health and Science University campus is located on a hilltop overlooking the city of Portland, Mt. Hood, and Mt. St. Helens. OHSU is no doubt one the most beautiful medical campuses in the country and offers a truly amazing landscape. Nowhere else in the country can doctors and medical staff take an aerial tram up to the hospital after parking their bike in the free bike valet at the waterfront at the base of tram. Don’t worry you can also just drive to the hospital. OHSU received a one billion dollar donation from Phil Knight (CEO of Nike) a couple years ago, which has spearheaded a lot of development in research and construction of new buildings including a state of the art surgical center on the waterfront.

Year 1:
  • WE GET A FULL RIDE TO MEDICAL SCHOOL (including health insurance)
    • We graduate from medical school in February of our 2nd year
    • This is the second shortest time spent in medical school of all OMFS programs
    • OHSU is an incredibly progressive medical school, a leader (top 3) in primary care (important metric for medical education), and incredibly nurturing. OMFS students have a very strong reputation at the school and, as such, are treated very well. This affords us a very streamlined, personalized curriculum that is quite unique compared to other OMFS programs. Brand new medical school building built in 2014.
  • Take Step 1 in early August, prior to starting medical school
  • Start medical school in mid-August with 2 months of didactics and clinical skills training
  • Complete six 4-week core rotations, of which we do Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Neurology, OB-Gyn, Pediatrics, and Psychiatry
  • Take one 4-week elective surgery rotation of our choice (lots of options)
  • Many residents moonlight 1-2x month except during gen surg year and busy months on service. Jobs handed down year to year to new residents.
Year 2:
  • Finish up whatever rotations you have left from above
    • 6-8 weeks of built-in study time for Step 2 and Shelf exams
  • 2-3 months of OMFS service as a medical student in fall of year 2
    • Can split time between OHSU/Shriners and Legacy/Providence
  • Graduate from medical school at the end of February
  • Start anesthesia in March
    • Paid PGY-1 resident salary
    • 4 months to finish off the academic year
Year 3:
  • 6 months as an R1 on general surgery
    • Includes one month of pediatric anesthesia (CODA requirement)
    • OHSU is considered one of the strongest General Surgery programs in the country. OMFS has a great relationship with the General Surgery department (i.e., good rotations)
  • 2 months on ENT head/neck service
  • 4 months on OMFS service
Year 4:
  • 3 months as an R2 on General Surgery
    • Get 2 years of ACGME General Surgery certificate. A 2-year certificate is needed to be licensed as an MD in nearly 20 states (with more requiring this each year). This is a new trend that has affected graduates from 1-year certificate programs. You cannot just petition the medical board for an additional year
  • 9 months on OMFS service
    • 3-4 months of which are with HNSA at Legacy-Emanuel, Providence Portland, and Good Samaritan hospitals
Year 5:
  • 12 months on OMFS
    • 3-4 months of which are with HNSA at Legacy-Emanuel, Providence Portland, and Good Samaritan hospitals
Year 6:
  • 12 months on OMFS
  • 6 months of which are with HNSA at Legacy-Emanuel, Providence Portland, and Good Samaritan hospitals
Total time spent on OMFS service: minimum of 38 months

Hospitals We Cover:
All hospitals are within 10-15 minutes of each other. Many residents even bike to the hospital.
  • Oregon Health Sciences University
    • Level 1 trauma center
    • We share facial trauma with ENT, PRS 1:1:1
    • Located on the hill
  • Doernbecher Children’s Hospital
    • Level 1 children’s trauma center.
    • Located on the hill
  • Shriners Hospital for Children
    • Located on the hill
    • No ENT/plastics residents rotate here
    • We cover all head and neck cases which include cleft orthognathics, primary and secondary CLP repairs, rhinoplasty, staged otoplasty, etc.
  • Legacy Emanuel Medical Center
    • Level 1 trauma center
    • No ENT or Plastics residency programs, so we take face call 365 days/year
    • We cover all head and neck emergencies including those which ENT may cover at other hospitals. This includes all airway emergencies, peritonsillar abscesses, epistaxis, anyone needing airway scopes
  • Providence Portland Medical Center
    • Located in NE Portland
    • We recently began covering level 2 facial trauma at this site as part of the HNSA rotation
  • Providence St. Vincent Medical Center
    • Located in Beaverton
    • We somewhat rarely go here for cancer or trauma cases that can’t be covered at OHSU for insurance reasons
  • OHSU Dental School Clinic
    • Located at the base of the hill
    • New building and surgical suites built in 2014
    • Where we do our sedations for implants and outpatient dentoalveolar
    • We do not cover predoc clinic. Dental school clinic days are only high quality procedures/sedations/implants/etc for resident level. No point and pull that clogs up resident time
    • We have a resident clinic ~7 half days per week
    • Resident clinics are covered by a combination of OHSU full-time faculty as well as part-time community oral surgeons.
  • Head & Neck Surgical Associates (HNSA)
    • https://head-neck.com
    • Private practice setting
    • In-office GA cases performed here such as zygoma implants
OHSU Faculty:
  • Engelstad, M.D., D.D.S, M.H.I.: Full scope OMS, alveolar clefts, orthognathics (orthognathic fellowship trained)
  • Hughes D.D.S.: Full scope OMS, TMJ replacement, orthognathics
  • Petrisor, D.M.D., M.D., F.A.C.S.: Oncology, nerve repair (did oncology fellowships at both Shreveport and Jacksonville)
  • Mann, D.D.S., M.D.: Implant director at the dental school, also in trauma pool
  • New full scope OMS faculty will be starting this July at OHSU
  • Stavropoulos D.D.S.: Pre-doc OMS director
HNSA Faculty:
  • Bell, M.D., D.D.S, F.A.C.S.: Oncology, orthognathics, very active in immunotherapy research, TMJ, craniofacial, TORS (robotic surgery). Director, Providence Oral, Head and Neck Cancer Program and Clinic, Providence Cancer Center
  • Dierks, M.D., D.M.D., F.A.C.S., F.A.C.D, F.R.C.S.(Ed): ENT dual boarded, oncology, zygoma implants, facial cosmetics, truama, craniofacial. A godfather of OMS
  • Cheng M.D., D.D.S, F.A.C.S: Oncology + full scope OMS: orthognathics, TMJ, craniofacial
  • Patel M.D., D.D.S, F.A.C.S: Oncology + full scope OMS: orthognathics, TMJ, TORS, craniofacial
  • Amundson D.D.S.: Full scope OMS, trauma. Former trauma fellow
  • Main point: HNSA does not just do oncology. Truly a full scope practice. Growing area of practice is pediatric craniofacial surgery
  • Fellows at HNSA
    • 1 trauma fellow at LEH (who we share call with at Legacy)
    • 2 cancer fellows (1 ablative, 1 microvascular)
Shriners Faculty:
  • Nguyen M.D.: Plastic surgeon but also OMFS trained. Cleft lip/palate, pharyngoplasties, rhinoplasty, otoplasty, basically does everything. We are the only resident team that rotates with him. 1-2 operating days per week
  • Johnson M.D. D.M.D.: OHSU grad from 2013, orthognathic fellowship trained, comes once a month to do cleft orthognathics
Program Culture: We have an incredibly down to earth and friendly service. Classic PNW culture. It’s not uncommon for the entire service including attendings, fellows, and significant others to go to a local brewery on Friday nights. Residents take weekend trips to the coast, go backcountry skiing, backyard BBQ, and home brew together. Our program director loves to load up his Sprinter Van with mountain bikes on weekends and hit the trails with residents. One of the driving factors for many of us choosing OHSU was the culture. It is very unique.

Portland, Oregon:
TripAdvisor: “You’ll wonder why you don’t live in Portland after you’ve visited this laid-back and friendly city. With a reputation for manicured parks, eclectic nightlife, fine micro-breweries and distilleries, and nature that cuts right into the city, Portland’s a Pacific Northwest must-visit. Don’t miss the famous Japanese Garden, one of the largest and most beautiful of its kind outside of Japan.”
Lonely Planet: “One of the world's great towns for beer, weirdness, cheap food, funky neighborhoods, forest hikes and much more, Portland is the kind of city you visit for two days and then move to. Endlessly entertaining and intriguing, it's easily walked and explored by bike.” “Portland has an almost unfair abundance of natural beauty – perfect parks, leafy trees, vibrantly flowering shrubs lining pretty residential streets, the Willamette River meandering through town, and Mt Hood on the horizon.”
Travel Portland video

Scope: We do it all and more. Broad of the broad scope. And, yes, that includes dentoalveolar. More importantly, we are at the frontier of our specialty given the caliber of attendings on both sides of the river. We are busy enough to be trained the full scope of OMS. However, certain things like no flap checks, PA’s and NP’s for our service, strong faculty relationships, and no predoc point and pull clinic allow us to still enjoy all that Portland and the greater PNW area have to offer. Our program director is incredibly focused on resident education, has written several op-eds in OMS journal articles regarding resident education, and makes it his priority to have residents get the highest caliber/quality training.

Research: 1 required submission focused on craniomaxillofacial trauma. Dr. Dierks works directly with you on this project. There are plenty of research opportunities on both sides of the river, but they are otherwise not required. Dr. Bell is an excellent resource and is at the forefront of OMS research, specifically looking at immunotherapy and oncology. Whether it is resident education, immunotherapy, trauma, oncology, or surgical planning, all of our attendings are involved in some aspect of research.

Alumni: In the past couple years, we have had residents go on to complete craniofacial fellowships in Oklahoma, England, and Australia, orthognathics fellowships in North Carolina, head and neck fellowships, and ENT micro fellowships. At the same time, we have had other residents start or join successful private practices throughout the country. OHSU has an incredible network. Some of the biggest names in the field, including several program directors, fellowship directors, and research leaders, have been in Portland for residency or fellowship. This definitely gives us a huge advantage in fellowship and job networking.

Externship: Want the OHSU experience first hand?
More information on applying to externship can be found by clicking on link.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and feel free to contact me directly with any questions or concerns regarding this update.

Best,
Residents of OHSU

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Program Overview
The University of California, San Francisco offers an advanced education program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (OMFS) designed to meet the requirements of the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association. The program leads to certification in OMFS and an M.D. degree from the University of California San Francisco and can be combined with a Ph.D. in Oral and Craniofacial Sciences, dependent on satisfactory progress.

This program is designed to provide the trainee with sufficient didactic and clinical education to meet the requirements of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and to become a knowledgeable practitioner. All trainees are prepared for a career in clinical practice. In addition, they are encouraged to develop skills in teaching and clinical research which will be useful in preparation for an academic career.

PASS applications will be reviewed jointly by the Department of OMFS and the Medical School. Acceptance will occur jointly and advanced standing in the medical school will be granted based on a review of the applicant’s dental school curriculum and transcripts.

The duration of the program is 6 years.

The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Training Program is accredited for four residents per year in a six year program. The duration of the program is as follows:

Year 1 – 2 Months OMFS, Then 1st Year Medical School
Year 2 – 2 Months OMFS, Then 2nd Year Medical School
Year 3 – 3rd Year Medical School, 4 Months OMFS
Year 4 – 4th Year Medical School, 4 Months Anesthesia, 4 Months OMFS
Year 5 – General Surgery (PGY 1), 4 Months OMFS

Update on Maryland:

When I was on the interview trail, it felt like common knowledge that University of Maryland was known for two things: All cancer all the time and being a malignant environment. Having completed my first year of residency at this program, I hope to give you all an accurate update/perspective of what the program is today.

**DISCLAIMER: For all of you keyboard cowboys and those who want to drink Maryland haterade, this is my experience from my PGY-1 year.

To give a little background, I am from the west coast, I applied to six-year programs only and decided late in the game that I wanted to go to a program that had cancer. I believed the exposure would increase my surgical skills as well as teach me how to properly manage sick patients. I went on 10+ interviews and when making my rank list, I based my decision on the scope of a program, the quality of the faculty, location, and resident culture.

Scope:

- Free Flaps: 80

- Orthognathic: 85 (Cases)

- Implants: 120 implants total during years 1, 5, and 6

- TMJ: 16 Total joint replacements, 50+ Level II/III Arthroscopies

- Cleft Lip/Palate: 14

- Cosmetic: 12

- Trauma: ~ 240

You will cover trauma for Sinai, Shock trauma, and UMMC ED. Your intern year is spent at the dental school and hospital clinic. As an upper level you cover the attending’s private clinic, rotate through the perio/prosth department, and oral surgery clinic at the dental school. Our service is divided into an Oncology Team and a House Team. Two fellows, a senior, and an intern run our oncology team. As a senior, you rotate with oncology for four months and one month as an intern. Everything is connected and walking distance, with the exception of Sinai, which is 20 minutes away and covered by seniors for the occasional trauma.

Faculty:

· Oncology team: Dr. Ord (Chairman), Dr. Lubek, and Dr. Dyalram.

o Dr. Ord: Pioneer in the field of head and neck oncology. World renowned, but you most likely already knew this. An incredible teacher and entertaining in the OR as long as he’s not threatening to cut your nuts off.

o Dr. Lubek:Highly published, incredibly skilled surgeon with a viscous work ethic. He predominately overseas the fellows and their training. You won’t work with him much.

o Dr. Dyalram: Dr. Dyalram pushes you to get involved and cut, likely the first to put a scalpel in your hand. She genuinely cares about her residents and developing them into surgeons in both the clinic and community setting. Fun fact, she was also the first female fellowship trained Head and Neck Microvascular surgeon in the country.

· Dr. Warburton (Program Director): Cosmetics and TMJ

o Strong Program Director. Advocates for his residents. Very Skilled, extremely efficient, and has a way of making things look easy. Was originally trained in the UK and reminds most people of James Bond.

· Dr. Caccamese: Pediatric Craniofacial fellowship (Cleft Lip/Palate)

o He is cerebral. One of the most meticulous and focused surgeons I have ever worked with. He does it all. Clefts, Orthognathic, trauma. You name it. He does it. Nothing but respect.

· Dr. Brahim: Trauma, Pathology, Dental School & Hospital Clinic

o One of the kindest and most caring people you will ever meet. I honestly think I’ve come to him for advice on personal matters as much as professional. You can always count on him for a good laugh.

· Dr. Everett, Mostoufi, German - Sedation/Implants

o Dr. Everett: ran a successful private practice for years. Is our go to guy for dentoalveolar. He will teach anything and everything you want to know about implants and exodontia. Easy going and also happens to have a black belt in karate.

o Dr. Mostoufi: Chief OMFS advocate in the dental school. Is responsible for new sedation rooms, introduction of X-Nav, and has tripled our implant numbers over the past years. No I didn’t place 120 implants this year, but the numbers are looking up.

o Dr. German: Allows us to work at his private practice during our senior years where we perform sedation cases and get real world experience.

- 45 minutes from DC

- 30 minutes from Annapolis

- 2 hours from Philadelphia

- 3 hours from New York

- 2 ½ hours from Ocean City

- 3 hours from Deep Creek Lake & Shenandoah National Park

The city is what it is, a city. Know where to go, where not to go, and don’t be an idiot. Has some decent nightlife and a great food scene. It's not NY or Boston but despite the news, you are not going to get shot. Relax.

Culture:

· Maryland is a high volume program. Keyword here is volume because it just doesn't stop. As a result the training is incredible, but the time and commitment is demanding.

· There is a classic hierarchy at Maryland. Interns report to chiefs, chiefs report to attendings. It's important to know your place. Plain and simple. Almost everyone is willing to help and point you in the right direction but you have to learn to be efficient in the way you talk and function. If not, then you are wasting a senior or attendings time, which there isn’t much room for.

· Our attendings take pride in the fact that you will be a full scope trained maxillofacial surgeon at the end of your 4-6 years. We have a 100% pass rate on the boards and no one has a hard time finding work coming out of here. If you are interested in pursuing academics, we have a higher track record than most.

So that’s my take on it. I have stayed in touch with many of friends from the interview trail. They are currently in places like Mich, Shreveport, Parkland, N.O, Jax, and Emory. We have all had plenty of fun venting about the struggles of residency and all agree you can only be pimped for so long, see so many consults, or take so much call before you have to admit that some aspects of surgical training just suck. The training is hard and the hours are long, but if you’re looking at busy/high volume programs, this is what you are going to find.

Reactions: 5 users
Rutgers OMFS Overview

This will provide an updated overview for the Rutgers OMFS program. The program has changed significantly over the past decade and has expanded to multiple hospitals. The program provides a well rounded full scope experience that is shaped by the individual resident's desires and interests. All the information below will provide basic overview for the program, however interested applicants should strongly consider applying for a externship to get a comprehensive experience. You can also find additional information of the Rutgers OMFS residency on our facebook page.

Newark, NJ. University Hospital is a level one trauma center offering a large pool of trauma patients consisting of assaults, GSWs, MVC, and work related injuries. Midface is shared between ENT and plastics with a rotation every 3 days. All isolated mandible fractures are covered by the OMFS team. Tooth call is covered by the GPR residents with OMFS as backup if injury is beyond the GPR level.

The residency has now expanded to Newark Beth Israel in Newark and St. Peters Hospital in New Brunswick, NJ. Currently, only elective cases are done at these hospitals with no call responsibilities.

Newark is the optimal training environment for OMFS training however not the best living environment. Most of the residents live in the surrounding suburban towns, Hoboken, Edgewater, Jersey City, and New York City.

The Program has a 4 year track and a 6 year track in addition to having 6 non-categorical interns.

6 Year:

Year 1: Intern year

Interns are responsible to run the University Hospital outpatient clinic M-F, 9-4pm which includes extractions, biopsies, follow up/consults for OR cases.  

1 2-month rotation in New Brunswick outpatient clinic mainly responsible for extractions and consults with first hand experience of IV sedations. Residents will also be responsible to assist in OR cases at St peters during this time.

1 2-month rotation at the dental school in the OMFS outpatient clinic. Residents get experience with surgical extractions, biopsies, and implant placement

Interns are also responsible to start every OR case during the week. As the year progresses, interns will start getting increasingly involved in the OR cases.

June 1st, the 6 year categorical resident reports to medical school for a 12 month rotation.

Step 1 exam is taken prior to the start of intern year usually the in June of that year.

Interns are on call 4 times a month

Residents are paid at a PGY1 level

Year 2: Medical School

June 1st to June 30th the following year (12 months), residents will complete the 3rd year of NJMS medical school which consists of clerkship rotations.

NJMS tuition ~$40,000 per year for in state

Resident can moonlight during this year since there is no PGY salary that is offered during this year.

Year 3: Anesthesia/Medical school/Mid-level resident

From June to August, residents will complete their first 3 months of Anesthesia training as a full anesthesia resident. Residents are responsible for intubations, running OR cases, taking call during this time.

From September to November, resident will complete 4th year NJMS requirements including 1 month of emergency medicine, 1 month of SICU, and 2 weeks of PM&R, (Completing 14.5 months of medical school).

Step 2 CK and CS are usually taken between August and September of this year

December to June, resident return back to OMFS on service rotation for 7 months. During this time, the resident will be responsible for IV sedation cases in University Hospital outpatient clinic, increased exposure to OR cases with expanded roles, and placement of implants

NJMS tuition ~$40,000 per year for in state

Residents are paid at a PGY2 level

Year 4: General surgery/ Mid-level resident

From July to April, resident will have 6 months of general surgery rotation as a 1st year general surgery resident. All general surgery rotations are completed in University Hospital. During this 9 month period, residents will also complete another 3 months of Anesthesia (total of 6 months).

From April to June, residents return back to OMFS service with mid-level responsibilities.

Residents are paid at a PGY3 level

Year 5: Senior

Senior residents go through 3 month blocks between being the hospital senior and the dental school senior

Hospital senior is responsible for IV sedations in the outpatient clinic during the week, increased role in the operating room including primary assist, and placement of implants

Dental school senior is responsible for IV sedations in the dental school outpatient clinic as well as implant treatment

Seniors take back up call half the month and primary call every other friday

Residents are paid at a PGY4 level

Year 6: Chief

Chief residents rotate between 2 attending teams in 3 month blocks. Each team has set attending where the assigned chief will treatment plan, primary assist in the OR, and follow up on operated patients

Chief residents will have increased exposure to implant cases with increased complexity including all of 4-6, full mouth rehabilitation cases

Residents are paid at a PGY 5 level with a chief stipend

Total time spent on OMFS service: 45 months

4 Year:

Year 1: Intern year

Interns are responsible to run the University Hospital outpatient clinic M-F, 9-4pm which includes extractions, biopsies, follow up/consults for OR cases.  

1 2-month rotation in New Brunswick outpatient clinic mainly responsible for extractions and consults with first hand experience of IV sedations. Residents will also be responsible to assist in OR cases at St peters during this time.

1 2-month rotation at the dental school in the OMFS outpatient clinic. Residents get experience with surgical extractions, biopsies, and implant placement

Interns are also responsible to start every OR case during the week. As the year progresses, interns will start getting increasingly involved in the OR cases.

March 1st, the 4 year categorical resident reports for 6 months of Anesthesia

Interns are on call 4 times a month

Residents are paid at a PGY1 level

Year 2: Anesthesia/ off service rotations

March to August Anesthesia training as a full anesthesia resident. Residents are responsible for intubations, running OR cases, taking call during this time.

August to May off service rotation which includes, 2 months of medicine, 2 months of trauma, 2 months of SICU, 1 month of Plastics, 1 month of ENT

Residents are paid at PGY2 level

Year 3: Senior

Senior residents go through 3 month blocks between being the hospital senior and the dental school senior

Hospital senior is responsible for IV sedations in the outpatient clinic during the week, increased role in the operating room including primary assist, and placement of implants

Dental school senior is responsible for IV sedations in the dental school outpatient clinic as well as implant treatment

Seniors take back up call half the month and primary call every other friday

Residents are paid at a PGY 3 level

Year 4: Chief

Chief residents rotate between 2 attending teams in 3 month blocks. Each team has set attending where the assigned chief will treatment plan, primary assist in the OR, and follow up on operated patients

Chief residents will have increased exposure to implant cases with increased complexity including all of 4-6, full mouth rehabilitation cases

Residents are paid at a PGY 4 level with a chief stipend

Total time spent on OMFS service: 34 months

Faculty:

Full Time

Vincent B. Ziccardi, DDS, MD, FACS (Chair and Director): Full scope OMFS, Nerve repair specialist (most published in nerve repair in northeast), Cleft repair (Head of the craniofacial team), orthognathics, benign pathology, trauma, cosmetics

Dr. Shahid Aziz, DMD, MD, FACS: Full scope OMS, Orthognathics (>200 cases per year), TMJ replacement, benign pathology, trauma. Founder of Smile Bangladesh (Internationally known foundation established 13 years ago providing cleft repair services to the Bangladesh community. Dr. Aziz and his team travel to Bangladesh twice per year (March and November). Rutgers senior and chief residents accompany Dr. Aziz and repair primary cleft lips and palates as primary assists on over 30 cases per trip.)

Dr. Hani Braidy DMD, Full scope OMFS, orthognathics, trauma, Benign pathology (Dr. Braidy’s main interest is treating large benign pathology cases with major resection and reconstructive treatments), Implants ( Along with Dr. Zweig run the implant program for the OMFS residents)

Dr. Barry Zweig, DDS: Head of the implant program at Rutgers, extensive experience in full scope OMFS including orthognathics, trauma, benign pathology

Dr. Adachie, DMD, MD : Full scope OMFS, orthognathics (Posnick fellowship), benign pathology, trauma

Dr. Napoli DMD: Undergraduate clinic director of the dental school, full scope OMFS, orthognathics, benign pathology, trauma

Part time

Dr. Gorzelnik

Dr. Spinnato

Dr. Alberto

Dr. Cho

Dr. Lampert

Dr. Bell

Dr. Tuchman

Part time faculty in addition to covering clinic time and providing guidance on clinic cases, also bring elective OR cases ranging from benign cyst removal to total joint reconstruction.

Program Culture:
Resident driven program with high expectations at all levels. There is a strong emphasis on didactic education and clinical learning. Residents are required to review past and current literature on all treatment that is rendered to patients. Its overall a non-malignant environment with support from residents and attendings.

Scope:

Full scope with large volume for most procedures.> 150 orthognathic cases per year. First hand nerve repair experience. >250-300 implants placed by the end of residency. ~10 total joint replacements per year. Cosmetics (based on resident interest, cases are plenty including rhinoplasties, rhytidectomies, injectables, blepharoplasties, fat transfer). Large volume of benign pathology cases with resections and reconstructions. University hospital is the only state run level 1 trauma center in New Jersey. The trauma center offers a large pool of trauma patients consisting of assaults, GSWs, MVC, and work related injuries. Midface is shared between ENT and plastics with a rotation every 3 days. All isolated mandible fractures are covered by the OMFS team. We are not a cancer program, however if you are interested in cancer cases and free flaps we have a good relationship with the ENT service where we can scrub in on their free flap cases and primarily assist including harvesting of flap, ablation of lesion, anastomosis of vessels.

Block Time:

We have elective block time Monday (Half day), Tuesday( Full day), Thursday( Half day), Friday (Full day) at University Hospital weekly. Once a month we have Wednesday afternoon block time at University Hospital. Twice a month we do elective cases on Saturday mornings at University Hospital. Twice a month elective cases are covered at St Peter’s Hospital on Thursdays. Once a month elective cases are done at Newark Beth Israel in the mornings. All this block time means that we have the case load to fill it consistently. The program far exceeds the CODA program requirements in most categories.

Fellowships:

Residents interested in continuing their training with a fellowship match from Rutgers OMFS. In the last 6 years, 4 residents matched into their desired fellowships including microvascular with Dr. Ghali, orthognathic with Dr. Tucker, microvascular with Dr. B.J. Kim, and a full body cosmetic fellowship.

Alumi:

Residents that graduate from Rutgers OMFS pursue careers in both private practice and academics.

Boards:

All graduate residents in the past 10 years have passed the OMFS boards.

Thank you for reviewing the overview of the program. Again the best way for you to learn about the program and get a good feel for it and the residents is by doing an externship. Let me know if you have any questions.

Rutgers OMFS Residents

Reactions: 3 users
Can someone give an update on Pitt? It's been a decade and I'm wondering how things have changed..

Let me break this down for you!

Number of Residents a year: Two
Number of Full-Time Faculty: Five
1) Braun: dean of dental school, chiefs usually operates with him, 3rds and total joints
2) Ochs: Chairman, chiefs usually operates with him, 75% of his cases are orthognathics, 15% implants, and 10% 3rds
3) Costello: Program Director, craniofacial fellow and a junior chief usually operates with him, mainly operates on children
4) Chung: Director of one of the hospital's dental clinic, a junior chief always operates with him, 3rds and lots of TMJ cases
5) Sosovicka: director of pre-doc OMFS clinic at the dental school, interns usually works with him on 3rds
Number of Hospital covered: Eight
Presbyterian: main teaching hospital, resident will take facial trauma calls and round here
Children's: main teaching hospital, resident will take facial trauma calls and round here
Montefiore: main teaching hospital, resident will take facial trauma calls and round here
Mercy: adjunct hospital where adjunct faculty operates, residents will round here
VA: adjunct hospital, where adjunct faculty operates, interns will rotate here, interns will have calls from here
Jefferson: adjunct hospital where adjunct faculty operates, no calls
Shadyside: adjunct hospital where adjunct faculty operates, residents will round here
McGee: Women's hospital where residents will take consult calls from

Positives:
Resident Work Schedule: This program is very family friendly. If you're not on call for the night, you will be home by 6 or 7 PM that's including traffic getting home.

Trauma Post-call time off: At noon on the day after your trauma call night, you get to go home for the day.

Trauma Calls: Pitt OMFS team is only on facial trauma call on every 3rd week (splitting between ENT and Plastics). So if you're an intern or a first year resident, you'll only be on facial trauma call 2-3 times a month that will require you to stay in-house! Since this program do take "tooth" calls during the weeks that are non-facial trauma calls, an intern or a first-year resident will only have maybe 10 call night total in a month where 3 of which are facial trauma calls.

Paid in Medical School years: Residentswill receive a full annual resident stipend during years medical school. The down side, as medical students, you'll be taking one facial trauma call night during the facial trauma week when the OMFS team is on.

Orthognathics: Chairman trained in North Carolina under Tucker, very strong in orthognathics here. Interns will be exposed to orthognathic here early doing consultations, model surgery, seeing cases.

No MMF/IMF on call nights: Forget about putting them MMFs or IMFs on during the middle of the night when you get a mandible fracture! This program does not believe in it. ALL MMF/IMF are placed in the OR.

If you like sewing: A TON of lacs, you'll become very proficient in closing lacs between the 3 main teaching hospitals. A ton of dog bites at Children's.

Medical School: Great top medical school per US News rankings.

Negatives:
Morning rounds: Whomever was on call, you'll round by yourself on all the inpatients before each morning team meeting that will be in a conference room, you'll present all in-patients, consults, and trauma calls from the 3 main teaching hospitals in that meeting. For example, if you have 6 in-house patients and 6 ER consults, then you'll be presenting 12 patients in the morning team meeting. Yes, all by yourself! Then the team divides up to see various inpatients and/or ER consulted patients.

Selection of cases: the scope of training you get here in this program is COMPLETELY dictated by what the faculty member likes to operate on. All patients are faculty patients. For example, if faculty members wants to do orthognathics, you can't say, may I do a cosmetic case? Basically, all chief residents do 1/2 of the case, no freedom to other surgeries. Training solely based on what cases faculty has, Chiefs will have no freedom to choose what (s)he wants to be trained in.

Lack in broad scope:
Cosmetics: there is an adjunct faculty here that is facial comestically trained, but residents rarely does any plastics with him. You'll see random rhinoplasty from time to time in an orthognathic case, but if you want comestics, then this is NOT the program for you.
Implants: I would say it's OK, I've seen chiefs have done them, but it's like placing one here this week and one there next month. Mainly just Dr. Ochs that does them.
Oncology: all goes to ENT

Dr. Chung: completely a douche bag. Arrogant, malignant, condensenting, tries to be cool with residents, and lacks professionalism in ORs. Every dental student at Pitts is aware of this Wangchung.

Hospitals are EVERYWHERE: since this program covers eight hospitals, you as residents WILL walk freaking everywhere, outside, tunnels, skyways, and you'll have to walk FAST! Most programs you'll stay in this huge medical complex in one central location, this is not the program for you if you don't like walking 50 miles in a day! If any of you had interviewed here, then you'll understand what I'm talking about. For interviews themselves, the program takes you everywhere around town just to meet individual interviewers because they wanted to conduct the interviews in their respective offices!! Ridiculous!

Craniofacial Fellowship: yes, there are only 2 or 3 OMFS craniofacial fellowships out there, but this one is a joke! The fellow pretty much act as a "super chief" and holds sticks for Costello and gets yelled at the entire time! From what I've seen and heard, the fellow maybe does 5 actuall craniofacial cases or so in ONE YEARif they're lucky!! Plastics are very strong here so they get majority of the cases. Don't expect to actually do much if you're in this fellowship, but they'll expect you to be around all the time?!

Publication: it is required that you publish as a resident here, not recommended, but required.

Medical school: 3 years

Conclusion: If you want to be in Pittsburgh, then this OMFS program is the better of the two between Allegheny OMFS. It's truly not that all cracked up to be! Faculty members are not that great, training scope is limited to what faculty operates, and hospitals are everywhere spread around the city. Scale 1 to 10, 10 being LSU or Parkland, this program is a 5.

University of Rochester - Rochester, NY

I am currently a resident at the University of Rochester in Rochester, NY, so I thought I would give some general info on our program as interviews are in full swing and it's always nice to have an overview of the program from a resident's perspective.

We have 4 and 6 year tracks available at our program. I am in the 4-year track, so I'll limit my post to that, as I'm not intimately familiar with the med school training that the 6-year residents receive. We have two 4-year spots, one 6-year spot, and a variable number of non-categorical intern spots (1-3, depends on the year). We have a recently renovated (within the last 6 months) clinic and resident room that provide a very spacious place to work in our outpatient clinic.

Our residents all get along great and frequently hang out together outside of work. It definitely is a "family" atmosphere where everybody looks out for each other.

We have 4 full-time faculty that staff most of our OR cases, as well as a number of part-time faculty from the community that bring cases to do with the residents. We also have an oculoplastic surgeon attending who takes facial trauma call with us and our chiefs participate in his cases, which is a unique experience.

Year 1: 5 months with anesthesia (1 month is dedicated to peds anesthesia), 2 month internal medicine, 5 month OMFS
Year 2: 6 months general surgery (including ICU rotations, trauma surgery, etc.), 6 months OMFS
Year 3: 2 weeks research time, 2 weeks with oculoplastic surgery, 1 month with ENT/facial plastics, 10 months OMFS
Year 4: 12 months OMFS

Scope: full-scope OMFS

Dentoalveolar: We run a very busy outpatient clinic that routinely does 200+ IV sedation cases monthly. 1st years and interns are primarily responsible for seeing consults/followups, but also do in-office procedures under local/nitrous. 2nd years will do a mix of local/IV sedation and 3rd/4th years do mostly sedation cases.

Implants: Most of the implants are placed by the chief residents, with a mix of in-office procedures and OR procedures with more extensive bone grafting (ie: hip grafts, ramus grafts, sinus grafts, etc.). Unfortunately there is no dental school or VA to provide straightforward single-implant cases, but our chiefs will still do 50-100 implants each in their final year. As well, our 2nd year residents rotate through a clinic in Rochester General Hospital and will have an opportunity to place a solid number of implants while there. It is really up to the residents to identify as many implant cases as possible in our outpatient clinic, so the number of implants you place is largely determined by your willingness to identify and follow through with these cases.

Cosmetics: most of the cosmetic procedures within the OMFS department itself are mixed in with orthognathic or TMJ cases. We also rotate with a busy ENT/facial plastics service for a month in third year and get experience with a broad variety of cosmetic procedures.

Orthognathics: 50-75 cases/year. Plenty of double-jaw cases, multi-piece LeForts, and distraction cases.

Head and Neck Path: benign and malignant pathology, MRONJ, osteomyelitis, neck dissections, everything from small resections to large ablative cases with local, regional, or free flaps for reconstruction. The reconstruction is done by OMFS with plastics involved for the free flaps, but OMFS is the primary service managing these cases.

Trauma: Strong Memorial Hospital is a level 1 trauma center where we cover facial trauma every 3rd week (other 2 weeks are plastics/ENT). There are no anatomical restrictions, we take whatever comes in. We also cover facial trauma at Rochester General Hospital approximately 2 out of every 3 weeks, but it is a smaller volume center and is a little less busy than Strong in regards to facial trauma call. Interns/1st years/2nd years take the primary call with an approximately q3 call schedule. Between both hospitals, you'll see plenty of everything: complex lacerations, mandibles, midface, nasal, orbital, frontal sinus, panfacial, etc.

TMJ: plenty of arthoscopies, arthroplasties, eminectomies, TJRs, etc. We also do some botox in the outpatient clinic

Overall

Strengths:
- Very balanced case load with a broad scope including malignant pathology
- Great IV sedation numbers
- Wonderful relationship between residents, as well as between residents/faculty
- Program is busy and provides good exposure to all types of procedures without being overwhelming

Weaknesses:
- No associated dental school or VA to provide straightforward implant cases

Does anyone have any information on UT-Knoxville, Minnesota, or Cincinnati? Interested in externing at these programs and was hoping I could get more information before reaching out. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hofstra/Northwell at Long Island Jewish Medical Center:

3 positions: 2 x 6-year and 1 x 4-year

An overview of our program is almost a decade old and I figured, as a second-year resident, an update was long overdue as our program’s scope has grown considerably with the incorporation of primary and secondary cleft lip & palate repair and head & neck cancer surgery to supplement our strong core OMS experience.

Our program boasts a strong emphasis on operating room experience. We are particularly well-known for our robust orthognathic training (>275 cases/year) which is largely attributable to our close working relationship with the NYCOMS group and our other full-scope private practice attendings. We are also incredibly fortunate to have private attendings, many of whom are graduates of our program, who practice full-scope OMS and regularly perform temporomandibular joint surgery, reconstructive trauma, and orthognathic surgery with our senior and chief residents.

Our program director Dr. Romeo is now co-director of cleft lip & palate surgery service at Cohen’s Children Hospital at Northwell Health. Dr. Lam, our chairman at Stony Brook, performs ablative cancer surgery and works closely with the Plastics & Reconstructive Surgery service at Stony Brook University Hospital.

There are currently no fellows and our chiefs work closely with both fellowship-trained attendings; residents do not perform flap checks.

We also offer one of the highest resident salaries (>$71,000-80,000/year and additional chief year bonus) in the country and close proximity to the biggest city in the U.S. (20 miles from LIJ to Manhattan). Residents are also offered significantly subsidized apartments by Northwell Health. Currently, two 6-year positions and one 4-year position is offered every year. We also offered two preliminary positions at the LIJ site for the year 2018-2019.

Rotation sites:

(1) Long Island Jewish Medical Center
Level 2 Trauma Adult/Level 1 Trauma Pediatric​
Primary training site with particularly strong OR experience (orthognathic, cleft lip & palate, facial trauma/infection). Especially busy service in the summer as all of our interns have cut at least one double jaw case (some >6).​
(2) Stony Brook University
Level 1 Trauma Adult/Pediatric​
Affiliation with and within the dental school and run like a private practice with particularly strong outpatient experience (e.g. implants, thirds, sedations), facial trauma, and head & neck cancer surgery experience.​
(3) Northport VA Hospital
Robust dental implant training with Dr. Rodriguez​
(4) Nassau University Medical Center (NUMC)
1 month rotation as senior resident at NUMC’s OMFS program. Supplemental dentoalveolar, sedation, and outpatient general anesthesia experience in clinic.​
You are never expected to take call at more than one location at a time.

Attendings (full-time):

Dr. Gerardo P. Romeo, DDS, MD:
Residency Program Director​
Chief of Division at LIJMC Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery​
Co-chair of Cleft Lip & Palate service at Cohen’s Children Hospital​
Pediatric Craniomaxillofacial Fellowship under Dr. Bernard Costello at Pittsburgh​
Dr. Joshua D. Segal, DDS, MD, FACS:
Associate Residency Program Director​
Dr. David K. Lam, DDS, MD PhD:
Chairman of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at Stony Brook University​
Director of LITElab​
Maxillofacial Oncology Fellowship under Dr. Brian Schmidt at UCSF​
Dr. Allan Kucine, DDS:
Vice-Chair of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at Stony Brook University​
Dr. Arlene Rodriguez, DDS, MD:
Chief of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at Northport VA Hospital​

Attendings at LIJ:
Dr. Stephen Sachs, DDS
Former Chief-of-Service and Program Director at LIJ​
Dr. Michael Schwartz, DDS
Dr. Salvatore Ruggiero, DDS, MD
Former Chief-of-Service and Program Director at LIJ​
Dr. Elisheva Rosenfeld, DDS, MD
Dr. Brad Romsa, DMD
Dr. Peter Protzel, DDS, MD

Attendings at Stony Brook:
Dr. Anthony Casino, DDS
Dr. William Schneider, DMD, MD
Dr. Michael Proothi, DMD, MD, FACS

Part-time attendings play an integral part of resident education.

Dr. John E. Fantasia is a world-renowned oral pathologist at LIJ. Dr. Fantasia, Dr. Kelsch, their residents, and their pathology service provide a high-volume source of unusual and interesting pathology cases to our oral & maxillofacial surgery service.

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell (6-year track):
Tuition: Tuition is prorated and you will only pay for duration of time that you are actually in medical school. Significant OMS scholarship offered to our residents making tuition cheaper than most other institutions.​
Location: Hempstead, NY which is 12 miles (20 minutes) from LIJ​
Curriculum:​
  • PEARLS (Patient-centered Explorations and Active Reasoning, Learning, & Synthesis) is a non-traditional case-based spiral curriculum
  • Emphasis on small group learning. Minimal lecture time: most of morning or afternoon are free for self-directed learning
  • Pass/Fail grading for first two years
  • Duration: 30 months total
    • Year 1: 5 months (NY State EMT Certification awarded after first 2 months)
    • Year 2: 9 months (Didactics + ICE: Initial Clinical Experience)
    • Year 3: 12 months (Neuro, Psych, OB/GYN, Peds, Medicine, Surgery Clerkships
    • Year 4: 4 months (Acting internships + Selectives in ENT, Plastics, Anesthesia)
Call schedule:
LIJ site:​
GPR/Ped’s residents will cover vast majority of “basic/simple” infection and dentoalveolar fractures (“tooth” call). GPR and Peds are expected to consult with chiefs and then their attendings prior to consulting with OMFS.​

Stony Brook site:​
Busier facial trauma site than LIJ; similar working relationship with GPR/Ped’s as LIJ except more occasions of having to be involved​

Typically q2-3 at either LIJ or Stony Brook as interns.​
In-house call is not required at either LIJ or Stony Brook​
Most trauma related to MVC, assaults, and falls.​
Didactics:
LIJ: Tumor board every Tuesday, oral pathology lecture and slide review every other Friday, monthly resident rounds, monthly division meeting, weekly meeting and review of Craniofacial/OR cases, journal presentations, orthognathic & dentofacial deformity conference every first Tuesday of the month, weekly NYCOMS round with Dr. Sachs, morbidity and mortality rounds​
Stony Brook: Journal Club every Tuesday, Trauma Rounds every Wednesday, Prosthodontic-OMFS treatment planning meetings, monthly dentofacial deformity meetings​
Culture:
This is a supportive program and not one attending would be considered “malignant”. The attendings are incredibly approachable, are knowledgeable, and enjoy teaching. We work closely with GPR, pediatric, and oral pathology residents. Cordial relationships exists between ENT/Plastics at both LIJ and Stony Brook sites. Attendings will regularly host parties for residents. As residents, we look after one another and we all get along well and hope to continue to do so with new incoming residents.​
Most graduates move onto private practice. Others have successfully pursued fellowships and academic positions.

Two preliminary 1-year internship positions are offered this year at the LIJ site. Feel free to message me here if you have any questions or if you are interested in the preliminary position, please email
[email protected].

Last edited:
I just wanted to say I can't believe this thread is still going 10 years later! LOL

Loyola or Cook County? Thanks for those who have contributed already!

Houston OMFS Update
In the last few years, there has been a lot of positive changes in our program. We are still one of the busier programs in the nation, which is great in terms of surgical exposure, but we have added on 2 non-categorical residents and 1 head and neck oncology fellow to help lessen the workload for everyone. Residents now take home call for our offsite hospital which eliminates the need to drive between hospitals while on-call. We also have reimbursement for Uber rides home post-call. We offer 3 spots for the 6-year track and 3 spots for the 4-year track.

6-Year track:
  1. Categorical intern year: 4-year and 6-year track residents go through 1st year together. Rotations last 2 months which allows for increased exposure to multiple hospitals, each with their own unique scope and clinical experiences.
  2. Medical school as a MS2. You get a monthly stipend during medical school that is enough to cover the medical school tuition and you get free health insurance throughout that time. All the lectures are recorded and the medical school is very self-study focused. This is a great time to work on research projects and extracurricular activities, among other things. You only have OMFS responsibilities for a week or two during that entire year. You usually take Step 1 at the end of this year.
  3. 3rd year of medical school is when you rotate through the medical clerkships. There’s a lot to learn and some services will have you cut some cases since you are OMFS. Our students are known to do well during those rotations. You usually take Step 2 CS/CK at the end of this year.
  4. “4th year” of medical school is only 3 months (ambulatory medicine, critical care, and jurisprudence). The rest of the time you spend 4 months in anesthesia as a CA1 at Baylor College of Medicine (one of the top anesthesia programs in the nation) and 1 month in neurosurgery at Memorial Hermann Hospital where you function as a resident and get to actually operate daily.
  5. You will only have 4 months of general surgery that will eventually count as 2 years of post-grad training for your MD. The 4 months are split between Shock Trauma ICU, plastics/burns, general surgery, and trauma surgery (each 1 month). You will also have 1 month on pediatric anesthesia, 2 months at the dental school (clinic functions like a private office and you are the sole resident in charge), and the rest of the year you'll be on OMFS service.
  6. You are the chief resident at each hospital for 2 months at a time (see below).
4-Year track: The residents essentially go through years 1, 4, 5, and 6 of the 6-year track except that they rotate through medicine, neurology, pulmonology, and cardiology (1 month each) during their PGY-2 year.

Hospitals:
Memorial Hermann: The busiest level 1 trauma center in the country. Tons of trauma (high speed car crashes, firearm injuries, explosive injuries, assaults). We have OR 5 days a week here. We split facial call equally with ENT and plastics (OMFS covers facial trauma every 3rd day).

Ben Taub: Another one of our level 1 trauma county hospital. We have OR twice a week with a good variety of midface and mandibular trauma. The clinic here is filed with IV sedation and dentoalveolar cases with the occasional implants.

LBJ: Our off-site county hospital. The busiest level 3 trauma center in the city. There’s a nice variety of IV sedation, dentoalveolar, trauma, pathology, and maxillofacial reconstruction. We have 4 OR days per week here.

Methodist Hospital: Our private hospital. This is a large and well-resourced hospital system. Voted top 19 places to work in the nation by Forbes magazine. This hospital houses our attending’s private practice clinic (trauma, reconstruction, malignant and benign pathology, TMJ, orthognathics). We also rotate with 2 private practice OMFS groups here that are heavy in orthognathics (easily get 60-100 cases during those 4 months).

VA Hospital: Heavy on implants and dentoalveolar. Full 3D scanning and printing labs. Exposure to guided implants, all-on-four cases, and zygomatic implants.

Shriner's Hospital:
Cleft lip and palate clinic. Alveolar bone graft and the orthognathic surgeries for these patients. We also complete our 1 month of pediatric anesthesia here. The schedule is very chill and usually runs from 6-1pm weekdays, without call.

Houston is an extremely diverse city and one of the fastest growing. The cost of living is very affordable, there's no state income tax, there's tons of good food, and the weather is nice year round. There are areas that are very family friendly (Pearland, Sugarland, Bellaire) and areas that are great for young professionals (Heights, Midtown). Although intern year can be busy, the exposure and the type of cases you'll see and treat during your time here is second to none. The faculty here are also extremely approachable and down to earth. As the largest OMFS program in the country, we pride ourselves in having a very close-knit program. We always find time to meet up for happy hour, watch the Rockets games, etc. I’ve really enjoyed my time here and I definitely suggest giving Houston a hard look.

Reactions: 7 users
Columbia University Medical Center/New York Presbyterian Hospital

6 year dual degree program with 2 residents per year

PGY1- 6 months OMFS, 6 months Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons

PGY2- 12 months Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons

PGY3- 6 months of Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, 3 months of electives, 3 months of anesthesia

PGY4- Columbia New York Presbyterian General Surgery Year (includes anesthesia, SICU, ENT, Plastics, OMFS, and other core general surgery rotations)

PGY5- 12 months OMFS

PGY6- 12 months OMFS

Alternative track: Applicants from Harvard, Stony Brook or UConn dental schools

PGY1- 12 months OMFS

PGY2- 5 months of electives, 7 months Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons

PGY3- 8 months Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons (includes 2 months of electives), 3-4 months of OMFS

PGY4- Columbia New York Presbyterian General Surgery Year (includes anesthesia, SICU, ENT, Plastics, OMFS, and other core general surgery rotations)

PGY5- 12 months OMFS

PGY6- 12 months OMFS

Facilities:

We work out of 3 different hospitals New York Presbyterian Milstein Hospital, Children’s Hospital of New York (CHONY), and the Allen Hospital.  We only cover the ER at Allen hospital; it is about 50 blocks north of Milstein Hospital and there is a free shuttle that transports 24/7.  Milstein Hospital and CHONY are connected via skybridges. We are fully integrated with the College of Dental Medicine. Being a part of the dental school gives us access to all the equipment including a brand new CBCT, intra oral scanner, 3D printers, and constant collaboration/referrals with GPR, AEGD, PROS, etc.

Scope:

We are a full scope program with strength in orthognathic surgery, dentoalveolar/implants, craniofacial. non-malignant pathology, reconstruction, infections, and some trauma. There is some exposure to cosmetics and TMJ but it is limited.  We have a large number of craniofacial patients who require alveolar cleft grafting, cleft lip/palate, mandibular distractions (including neonates with Robin sequence) or orthognathic surgery.  We typically see more than 200 orthognathic patients per year.  

Milstein is a level 2 trauma center and CHONY is a level 1.  We do enough trauma to be comfortable but it does not consume the program.  We alternate facial trauma call every other week with ENT.

We work closely with the ENT department and refer our microvascualr free flap reconstruction cases to their Head/Neck surgeon. These joint cases allow us to get exposure to trachs and microvascular reconstruction.

Our OR block Mondays, every other Tuesday, every other Wednesday, Thursdays, and every fourth Friday but we often add cases on generally operating 3-5 days per week.  

Our outpatient procedure clinic is M-F where we perform procedures such as third molars, implants, expose and bonds, biopsies, dentoalveolar procedures, etc. Upper level residents run sedations. Our outpatient procedure clinic is setup very similar to a private practice model and residents get excellent procedural and sedation numbers.  We generally have 4 sedation per day scheduled 4 days per week.  It is a resident run clinic and we have great autonomy.  Graduating residents finish with 250+ sedations and 300+ implant and/or involved grafting cases.
The Faculty Practice clinic is M-F and we work closely in assisting our attendings run their clinic as well.  

Call:
The intern shares first call with the GPR residents.  Generally, it works out to about q4-q6 depending on the time of year and off service rotations.  Call is a 24-hour shift and either the PGY5 or PGY6 is second call.    We split facial trauma call with ENT every other week.  

Didactics:

We have an implant lecture series every Tuesday morning.  Two Wednesdays per month we have Surical-Orthodontics conference, one Wednesday per month we have NYCOP (pathology conference with other NYC OS programs), one Wednesday per month we have Grand Rounds, every Thursday morning we have patient care conference, every Friday morning we have oral pathology lecture.  We have additional didactics on a rotating basis.  

Attendings:

Dr. Sidney Eisig, DDS, Program Chairman

Dr. Alia Koch, DDS MD FACS, Program director

Dr. Bridget Ferguson DDS, OS Clinic director

Dr. Michael Perrino, DDS MD, Pediatric Craniofacial Fellowship trained

Dr. Joel Friedman, DDS, 30 years of both private practice and academic experience 

A large number of part-time, private practice attendings from the surrounding NJ/NY/CT community who cover clinic, work up dentoalveolar cases, and also bring OR cases which provides a nice variety for the resdients.

Perks:

Probably one of the highest if not the highest paid House Staff of any hospital in the country which helps offset the cost of New York City.
The program is located in arguably one of the greatest cities in the world with all of the resources that an Ivy League institution has to offer.
Residents generally can attend and are funded for any course or conference they are interested in or any conference you are presenting at.
Cleft Trip to either Mexico or Columbia typically attended as a 6th year.
The residents all get along extremely well and everyone is very supportive!

Medical School:

One of the best medical schools in the country.  Columbia now has the Vagelos scholarship which can substantially offset the cost of the medical school’s tuition.  Excellent education.

Recent Graduates:

Most graduates enter private practice however our program will make you a competitive applicant for any fellowship and we have had numerous graduates match into craniofacial and cosmetic fellowships.

Externships:

Our program is a great hands on externship where students will have the ability to assist in a busy outpatient procedure clinic as well as have exposure to a variety of OR procedures.  Externs typically visit for 1 week at a time however longer externships are welcomed.

Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Externship

These reviews are the best. Keep them coming.

Reactions: 1 user
OHSU OMFS Program Overview

OHSU has not had a full program update on here for a while now, so we wanted to share this information on behalf of our program. We will share some general info first, and then take you through our program chronologically. We do hope this program update provides a clear breakdown on how diverse our case load is (i.e. not just oncology), clearly defines our OHSU/Legacy relationship, and characterizes the unique culture of our program. In addition, we hope future OMFS applicants, who might have thought this was not the right program for them, may consider OHSU after reading this detailed breakdown. We embedded some links for more info and photos.We embedded some links for more info and photos.

Location: Portland, OR - Oregon Health and Science University campus is located on a hilltop overlooking the city of Portland, Mt. Hood, and Mt. St. Helens. OHSU is no doubt one the most beautiful medical campuses in the country and offers a truly amazing landscape. Nowhere else in the country can doctors and medical staff take an aerial tram up to the hospital after parking their bike in the free bike valet at the waterfront at the base of tram. Don’t worry you can also just drive to the hospital. OHSU received a one billion dollar donation from Phil Knight (CEO of Nike) a couple years ago, which has spearheaded a lot of development in research and construction of new buildings including a state of the art surgical center on the waterfront.

Year 1:
  • WE GET A FULL RIDE TO MEDICAL SCHOOL (including health insurance)
    • We graduate from medical school in February of our 2nd year
    • This is the second shortest time spent in medical school of all OMFS programs
    • OHSU is an incredibly progressive medical school, a leader (top 3) in primary care (important metric for medical education), and incredibly nurturing. OMFS students have a very strong reputation at the school and, as such, are treated very well. This affords us a very streamlined, personalized curriculum that is quite unique compared to other OMFS programs. Brand new medical school building built in 2014.
  • Take Step 1 in early August, prior to starting medical school
  • Start medical school in mid-August with 2 months of didactics and clinical skills training
  • Complete six 4-week core rotations, of which we do Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Neurology, OB-Gyn, Pediatrics, and Psychiatry
  • Take one 4-week elective surgery rotation of our choice (lots of options)
  • Many residents moonlight 1-2x month except during gen surg year and busy months on service. Jobs handed down year to year to new residents.
Year 2:
  • Finish up whatever rotations you have left from above
    • 6-8 weeks of built-in study time for Step 2 and Shelf exams
  • 2-3 months of OMFS serviceas a medical student in fall of year 2
    • Can split time between OHSU/Shriners and Legacy/Providence
  • Graduate from medical school at the end of February
  • Start anesthesia in March
    • Paid PGY-1 resident salary
    • 4 months to finish off the academic year
Year 3:
  • 6 months as an R1 on general surgery
    • Includes one month of pediatric anesthesia (CODA requirement)
    • OHSU is considered one of the strongest General Surgery programs in the country. OMFS has a great relationship with the General Surgery department (i.e., good rotations)
  • 2 months on ENT head/neck service
  • 4 months on OMFS service
Year 4:
  • 3 months as an R2 on General Surgery
    • Get 2 years of ACGME General Surgery certificate. A 2-year certificate is needed to be licensed as an MD in nearly 20 states (with more requiring this each year). This is a new trend that has affected graduates from 1-year certificate programs. You cannot just petition the medical board for an additional year
  • 9 months on OMFS service
Year 5:
  • 12 months on OMFS
Year 6:
  • 12 months on OMFS
  • 6 months of which are with HNSA at Legacy-Emanuel, Providence Portland, and Good Samaritan hospitals
Total time spent on OMFS service: minimum of 38 months

Hospitals We Cover:
All hospitals are within 10-15 minutes of each other. Many residents even bike to the hospital.
  • Oregon Health Sciences University
    • Level 1 trauma center
    • We share facial trauma with ENT, PRS 1:1:1
    • Located on the hill
  • Doernbecher Children’s Hospital
    • Level 1 children’s trauma center.
    • Located on the hill
  • Shriners Hospital for Children
    • Located on the hill
    • No ENT/plastics residents rotate here
    • We cover all head and neck cases which include cleft orthognathics, primary and secondary CLP repairs, rhinoplasty, staged otoplasty, etc.
  • Legacy Emanuel Medical Center
    • Level 1 trauma center
    • No ENT or Plastics residency programs, so we take face call 365 days/year
    • We cover all head and neck emergencies including those which ENT may cover at other hospitals. This includes all airway emergencies, peritonsillar abscesses, epistaxis, anyone needing airway scopes
  • Providence Portland Medical Center
    • Located in NE Portland
    • We recently began covering level 2 facial trauma at this site as part of the HNSA rotation
  • Providence St. Vincent Medical Center
    • Located in Beaverton
    • We somewhat rarely go here for cancer or trauma cases that can’t be covered at OHSU for insurance reasons
  • OHSU Dental School Clinic
    • Located at the base of the hill
    • New building and surgical suites built in 2014
    • Where we do our sedations for implants and outpatient dentoalveolar
    • We do not cover predoc clinic. Dental school clinic days are only high quality procedures/sedations/implants/etc for resident level. No point and pull that clogs up resident time
    • We have a resident clinic ~7 half days per week
    • Resident clinics are covered by a combination of OHSU full-time faculty as well as part-time community oral surgeons.
  • Head & Neck Surgical Associates (HNSA)
    • https://head-neck.com
    • Private practice setting
    • In-office GA cases performed here such as zygoma implants
OHSU Faculty:
  • Engelstad, M.D., D.D.S, M.H.I.: Full scope OMS, alveolar clefts, orthognathics (orthognathic fellowship trained)
  • Hughes D.D.S.: Full scope OMS, TMJ replacement, orthognathics
  • Petrisor, D.M.D., M.D., F.A.C.S.: Oncology, nerve repair (did oncology fellowships at both Shreveport and Jacksonville)
  • Mann, D.D.S., M.D.: Implant director at the dental school, also in trauma pool
  • New full scope OMS faculty will be starting this July at OHSU
  • Stavropoulos D.D.S.: Pre-doc OMS director
HNSA Faculty:
  • Bell, M.D., D.D.S, F.A.C.S.: Oncology, orthognathics, very active in immunotherapy research, TMJ, craniofacial, TORS (robotic surgery). Director, Providence Oral, Head and Neck Cancer Program and Clinic, Providence Cancer Center
  • Dierks, M.D., D.M.D., F.A.C.S., F.A.C.D, F.R.C.S.(Ed): ENT dual boarded, oncology, zygoma implants, facial cosmetics, truama, craniofacial. A godfather of OMS
  • Cheng M.D., D.D.S, F.A.C.S: Oncology + full scope OMS: orthognathics, TMJ, craniofacial
  • Patel M.D., D.D.S, F.A.C.S: Oncology + full scope OMS: orthognathics, TMJ, TORS, craniofacial
  • Amundson D.D.S.: Full scope OMS, trauma. Former trauma fellow
  • Main point: HNSA does not just do oncology. Truly a full scope practice. Growing area of practice is pediatric craniofacial surgery
  • Fellows at HNSA
    • 1 trauma fellow at LEH (who we share call with at Legacy)
    • 2 cancer fellows (1 ablative, 1 microvascular)
Shriners Faculty:
  • Nguyen M.D.: Plastic surgeon but also OMFS trained. Cleft lip/palate, pharyngoplasties, rhinoplasty, otoplasty, basically does everything. We are the only resident team that rotates with him. 1-2 operating days per week
  • Johnson M.D. D.M.D.: OHSU grad from 2013, orthognathic fellowship trained, comes once a month to do cleft orthognathics
Program Culture: We have an incredibly down to earth and friendly service. Classic PNW culture. It’s not uncommon for the entire service including attendings, fellows, and significant others to go to a local brewery on Friday nights. Residents take weekend trips to the coast, go backcountry skiing, backyard BBQ, and home brew together. Our program director loves to load up his Sprinter Van with mountain bikes on weekends and hit the trails with residents. One of the driving factors for many of us choosing OHSU was the culture. It is very unique.

Portland, Oregon:
TripAdvisor: “You’ll wonder why you don’t live in Portland after you’ve visited this laid-back and friendly city. With a reputation for manicured parks, eclectic nightlife, fine micro-breweries and distilleries, and nature that cuts right into the city, Portland’s a Pacific Northwest must-visit. Don’t miss the famous Japanese Garden, one of the largest and most beautiful of its kind outside of Japan.”
Lonely Planet: “One of the world's great towns for beer, weirdness, cheap food, funky neighborhoods, forest hikes and much more, Portland is the kind of city you visit for two days and then move to. Endlessly entertaining and intriguing, it's easily walked and explored by bike.” “Portland has an almost unfair abundance of natural beauty – perfect parks, leafy trees, vibrantly flowering shrubs lining pretty residential streets, the Willamette River meandering through town, and Mt Hood on the horizon.”
Travel Portland video

Scope: We do it all and more. Broad of the broad scope. And, yes, that includes dentoalveolar. More importantly, we are at the frontier of our specialty given the caliber of attendings on both sides of the river. We are busy enough to be trained the full scope of OMS. However, certain things like no flap checks, PA’s and NP’s for our service, strong faculty relationships, and no predoc point and pull clinic allow us to still enjoy all that Portland and the greater PNW area have to offer. Our program director is incredibly focused on resident education, has written several op-eds in OMS journal articles regarding resident education, and makes it his priority to have residents get the highest caliber/quality training.

Research: 1 required submission focused on craniomaxillofacial trauma. Dr. Dierks works directly with you on this project. There are plenty of research opportunities on both sides of the river, but they are otherwise not required. Dr. Bell is an excellent resource and is at the forefront of OMS research, specifically looking at immunotherapy and oncology. Whether it is resident education, immunotherapy, trauma, oncology, or surgical planning, all of our attendings are involved in some aspect of research.

Alumni: In the past couple years, we have had residents go on to complete craniofacial fellowships in Oklahoma, England, and Australia, orthognathics fellowships in North Carolina, head and neck fellowships, and ENT micro fellowships. At the same time, we have had other residents start or join successful private practices throughout the country. OHSU has an incredible network. Some of the biggest names in the field, including several program directors, fellowship directors, and research leaders, have been in Portland for residency or fellowship. This definitely gives us a huge advantage in fellowship and job networking.

Externship: Want the OHSU experience first hand?
More information on applying to externship can be found by clicking on link.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and feel free to contact me directly with any questions or concerns regarding this update.

Best,
Residents of OHSU

Hey everyone,
We just wanted to continue with last year's update and add some exciting new faculty hires, curriculum/schedule changes, etc. All the above information is still up to date so feel free to give that a read as well.

Faculty: In addition to the previously listed faculty, we have some great new additions/directions:
  • Akshay Govind, MD, DMD, MPH: Joined OHSU faculty after completing craniomaxillofacial trauma fellowship with HNSA in 2018. Full scope OMFS (specific interest in trauma, orthognathic, TMJ (full joint, arthrocentesis, botox, etc), benign pathology). Dr. Govind is young and hungry, loves to teach, holds weekly morning discussions, and is a natural academic leader.
  • Caitlin Magraw MD, DDS: Dr. Magraw is currently finishing her fellowship with Dr. Ruiz in Orlando in Cleft/Craniofacial. She will be part of the HNSA team starting in August focusing on cleft/craniofacial at Randall Children Hospital at Legacy Emanuel (another Level 1 children's hospital in Portland). The entire Portland family is very excited for her arrival! She will be a wonderful additional and will add even more unique cleft/craniofacial exposure.
  • HNSA has a growing sleep apnea practice: procedures like hypoglossal nerve stimulator (Inspire), MMA, DISE, etc.
  • Both sites have full-time PA's. It cannot be overstated how much their presence helps an OMFS service.
  • There will likely be another full-scope fellowship trained hire at OHSU in the next several months. Will keep you updated...
Curriculum/Schedule:
  • Not only is medical school free, but we also get reimbursed for all study material for Steps.
  • With schedule tweaks and improvements, most of us are on track for 40+ months on service.
  • Beautiful new surgery center at OHSU. Direct views of Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens.
Graduates:
  • Both of our current chiefs will be doing fellowships next year. One is going to the highly competitive Carolina fellowship for major reconstructive and orthognathic surgery. The other will be heading to Australia for a craniomaxillofacial surgery fellowship and will be joining a full-scope private practice when he returns the following year.
Hope this new information helps! Please don't hesitate to message if you have any more specific questions. Thanks!

Last edited:
UNC OMFS

Overview

I wrote an overview a few years ago but wanted to post the updates as everyone gets ready to send out their applications and set up externships for the year. Since I am a resident I tried my best to make all of the information as factual as possible and not my personal (positively biased) opinion. We are a 6 year MD track program that has 3 residents per year (plus one non categorical intern) with broad scope minus cancer.

Hospitals
UNC Hospital: The main benefit in our hospitals is that when you are on service you do not have to drive between multiple locations. All of our operations, whether they be in the children's or main hospital are essentially at the same place since the hospitals are connected and you can walk between them indoors. This includes the dental school. At UNC we have 5 block OR days (double OR day on Thursday, no planned cases on Friday). There is also a brand new $270 million dollar surgical tower being built on campus

UNC Dental School: Your procedures will include third molars, impacted canines, expose and bonds, and pretty much whatever the dental students/other specialties treatment plan. There is no shortage of extractions and we have dedicated implant days. You will work with ortho for TADs as well.

VA: We have complete control of the implants at the VA. The GPR residents do not place any, and I personally did around 100 during my 3 months there. I would say about 40% are overdenture implants with the rest being single unit/bridge supported. You will also do all of the grafting ranging from lateral window sinus lifts to ramus block grafts. You also have the opportunity to be exposed to cosmetics including blephs, botox, etc. Whether you are PGY1 or PGY3, if you are able to present a competent treatment plan with appropriate reasoning the attending will allow you to do the case.

Mission Hospital (Asheville): When you rotate here you take Q2 call with a military resident. There are no ENT/Plastics residents here so you gain a large exposure to full head and neck surgery since you cover all three services. This means you do all the trachs, neck dissections, etc in addition to all the facial trauma. It's a very popular travel destination and residents really enjoy spending time here

Elective: During your elective months you can set up to go to an outside OMFS program, fellowship, or subspecialty within UNC. Examples in the past few years include Microvascular at OHSU, oculoplastics within UNC, and arthroscopy with Dr. McCain. I did the Osteoscience rotation with Dr. Misch last year. Some residents even choose to do international electives. This can be very advantageous if you are considering a fellowship.

Schedule
PGY1: 7 months OMFS: 5 at UNC, 2 at VA, 5 months Anesthesia. As an intern at UNC you will spend half of your time in the resident clinic and half in the OR. You will be retracting for most of the orthognathic/TMJ cases but will get to do the OR cases you work up such as infections, path, and trauma. In the resident clinic you are allowed to do everything from impacted canines, thirds, benign pathology, implants. During your anesthesia rotation you are a CA-1 so you run the cases by yourself with an attending that typically covers 1-3 rooms. You can run sedations once you're done your anesthesia rotation so some interns will do this when they come back on service after anesthesia.

PGY2: 1 month of dedicated study time for USMLE, MS3 for remaining 11 months. You do not take any MS1 or MS2 classes.

PGY3: MS4 for first 6 months. MS4 is nice because it is almost all electives which most residents do on the head/neck service on ENT or plastics. 6 months OMFS from Jan-June: 4-5 months at UNC , 1-2 at VA. You will cover resident clinic, assist in the OR and begin to get bigger cases. You will also have extraction, trauma, and benign pathology cases in the OR. You will be able to run your own sedation extraction cases in clinic as well.

PGY4: 11 months of general surgery as a PGY-1 and 1 month OMFS elective

PGY5: 12 months OMFS: 4 months in Asheville, 7 at UNC, 1 month OMFS elective. You will gain more complex cases in the OR, complex implant cases with prosth, and be more involved in the cosmetic clinic.

PGY6: 12 months OMFS: all at UNC. Your time is split as the chief for one of the attendings. You will attend either the LSU or Denver course for board preparation. You will typically cut half the orthognathic cases with the attending cutting the other half. You will cut the entire case when it is unilateral (pathology, TMJ etc)

Total time (months): OMFS (38), Medical School (18), Anesthesia (5), General Surgery (11)

Scope
Orthognathic: Our program is notorious for being very heavy on orthognathic surgery. Dr. Turvey and Dr. Blakey are very well known in this field and will often do 3 in one day.

Pathology: Dr. Blakey has a very large patient pool of benign pathology. We regularly have multiple KCOT procedures in a week as well as reconstructions for ameloblastoma. We do not no cancer at UNC but you will be involved with resections while at Asheville.

TMJ: Dr. Matthews is our TMJ specialist. You will do plenty of cases including arthrocentesis, arthroscopy, and total joints

Trauma: Chapel Hill is not a dangerous area and we have a reputation for not being very trauma heavy because of this. At Asheville you take full face call q2 days. We take q3 month mandible call between plastics and ENT at UNC. Dr. Blakey has a contract with the corrections department so that all facial trauma from there is only seen by our service, which provides additional trauma cases without the extra burden on call.

Cosmetics: Dr. Fisher, who is fellowship trained, has a cosmetic clinic at UNC. Procedures range from blepharoplasties and face-lifts, to microneedling and botox.

Cleft/Craniofacial: We do both primary and secondary repairs. We also see a good amount of syndromic patients (hemifacial microsomia, Treacher Collins, etc) that require multiple procedures. Dr. Turvey, who is an expert in the field, and Dr. Daniel who is fellowship trained, do these cases with us

Implants: We have designated implant days and often use CBCT for treatment planning. You will place the majority of you implants as a PGY1 at the VA and increasing number at UNC as you progress through the program. We have conferences with the prosth department once a month

Cancer: We do not do any head and neck cancer at UNC but multiple residents who have an interest have spent their electives with ablation/microvascular fellowships.

Call
We take home call and there is a GPR that takes tooth/dentoalveolar fracture calls at UNC. When you are at the VA you take call there in addition to at UNC, but there tends to be very little call coming from the VA. First call is Q2-Q4 as a lower level (PGY1/3) depending on how many are on anesthesia. As an upper level (PGY5/6) call is Q4-Q5. Weekend call is grouped together so you are either on call Friday-Sunday or off the entire weekend. You do not take any call while you are on anesthesia or in medical school.

Didactics
1 hour every Wednesday morning that alternates between a resident run lecture on selected topics and mock boards held by faculty. Two hours every Friday by faculty both within our program and from outside departments. Examples include pathology by Dr. Blakey, Ophthalmology/Radiology by attendings from within UNC. There is also a guest speaker that comes in for a full day once a year. Last year’s was Dr. Tiwana. Grand rounds Friday after lecture to discuss cases for upcoming week along with resident run teaching during this time

Tuition/Salary
You will pay a prorated instate tuition for medical school for the 18 months you are a student. So one year is $35,000x1.5 for total of ~$52,000. You will be paid during all of your months on service including the 6 months during your PGY3 year that is split with medical school. Salary starts at $55,000 and increases a couple grand each PGY year

Additional Benefits
You are allowed to moonlight while in med school. How much you do is up to you but average pay is about $1000 for working 9a-4p. There is an office position set up. You are given a textbook allowance each year. All Step I/II/III related costs and study materials are covered. You are given $150/month for cafeteria food while at UNC and unlimited free cafeteria food while at Asheville

Research
UNC has many research opportunities with the most faculty currently having projects with residents. Not all residents choose to do research throughout the entire program and there is no formal requirement. That being said, the majority of residents present at AAOMS and have multiple publications. The program will pay for your transportation and hotel for any conferences that your research is accepted to present at with no cap on number of conferences

Chapel Hill
Residents live within the triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). It is by no means a big city but there are plenty of things do/places to eat between the three areas. The beach is two hours east and the mountains are two hours west. Chapel Hill itself is a college town with bars and restaurants surrounding the campus. To give an idea of cost of living, a one-bedroom apartment in Chapel Hill costs $800/month. Living is significantly cheaper in Durham and is only 10-15 min drive from the hospital.

Residents
The residents get along well and meet up outside of work as a large group at least once a month for dinner/other outings. Due to us all having different schedules most will hangout outside of work in smaller groups. There are very few residents from the same dental school and are from all over the country. Approximately half are married. Most residents from our program go into private practice but in the last few years we have had residents match into Dr. Ruiz's cleft/craniofacial, Dr. Carlson's oncologic, and cosmetic fellowships.

Externship
You will spend most of your time observing in the OR but can help extract teeth in the urgent care clinic if you would like. You will also be allowed to round on the inpatients and take call with the residents, but this is entirely up to you. You will have to arrange for your own housing and transportation.

Hey everyone,
We just wanted to continue with last year's update and add some exciting new faculty hires, curriculum/schedule changes, etc. All the above information is still up to date so feel free to give that a read as well.

Faculty: In addition to the previously listed faculty, we have some great new additions/directions:
  • Akshay Govind, MD, DMD, MPH: Joined OHSU faculty after completing craniomaxillofacial trauma fellowship with HNSA in 2018. Full scope OMFS (specific interest in trauma, orthognathic, TMJ (full joint, arthrocentesis, botox, etc), benign pathology). Dr. Govind is young and hungry, loves to teach, holds weekly morning discussions, and is a natural academic leader.
I was at UCSF as a dental student when Akshay was a resident. He’s awesome! Super nice and willing to help/teach. I wish he was joining my program!

Can someone provide overview of Howard OMFS program? I heard it is a solid program. Thank you in advance.

This is purely anecdotal, but I have not heard great things of Howard. There’s some info in dental town.
Could you please share these things? I would really appreciate. Thank you.

Any information on Cook County? How is there orthognathic exposure? Do they work with resident orthodontists?

Obviously, Cook County gets a ton of trauma, but I am hoping someone can comment on the # of orthognathic cases. Anyone?

Anybody at Carle OMFS able to answer some questions I have?

Can somebody do an overview of Emory, Jefferson, U Pitt and UW? If not the details, at least a curriculum breakdown timeline because it is not on their website.

University of Pennsylvania OMFS Program Overview

Structure:
I. 6-year combined OMFS/MD program
  • Currently 3 chief system until June 2021, 4 chiefs starting July 2021
PGY-1: 6 months OMFS (July-Dec), 6 months Med School (Jan-June: Systems)
PGY-2: 2 months OMFS (July-Aug), 10 months Med School (Sep-Dec: Systems, Jan-June: Clerkship)
PGY-3: 8 months Med School (July-Dec: Clerkship, Feb-Mar: Electives), 1 month OFF in January to study and take Steps 1 and 2, 3 months OMFS (Apr-June)
  • Must pass Steps I, II (CS and CK) as part of med school graduation requirement
  • M.D. awarded from University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine in May
PGY-4: 2 months OMFS, 4 months Adult Anesthesia, 1 month Pediatric Anesthesia, 2 months Plastics, 1 month Neurosurgery, 1.5 months as General Surgery (GS) PGY-1, 2 weeks OFF*
  • 1 month Plastics spent on Craniofacial service.
  • Expected to take Step III this year, but can technically take before graduating from the program.
PGY-5: 7 months OMFS, 2 months Plastics, 2.5 months as General Surgery (GS) PGY-2, 2 weeks OFF*
  • Spend majority of time operating while on GS
  • 1 month Plastics spent on Craniofacial service
  • 2-year GS certificate awarded at the conclusion of the year (with only doing 4 months GS, 4 months Plastics, 1 month Neurosurgery)
PGY-6: 12 months OMFS

* OFF time can be utilized for vacation, research or however one prefers.

Total months on OMFS: 32 months

II. Optional DSc degree
  • New program that was initiated this past year. It is a 2-year program on top of 6-year OMFS/MD program with heavy focus on translational science and/or clinical research.
  • Applicants accepted at PGY-4 for those interested.
  • No one has done it, but it’s available. :D

Scope
We are considered a full traditional scope program with good balance of dentoalveolar, implants, trauma, orthognathics, TMJ, pathology and reconstruction. As mentioned above, our weaknesses are in cosmetics and most of our craniofacial experiences come while rotating through Plastics (yes, we get to cut on their service). Our H&N oncology program is growing, but we are not a ‘cancer’ program by any means and the expansion of the H&N service won’t take away one’s time from core OMFS. Over the past 4 years, we have hired 4 attendings and we are continuing to grow in all aspects. Our younger attendings are all eager to build their practice and staff any cases possible. We have 9 attendings, and in the process of hiring 2 more attendings. As a result, our caseload has increased every year for the past few years and we will be ready to accommodate the first 4-chief system in 2021. Overall, with the exception of dentoalveolar and implants, it’s a relatively top-heavy program. Sedations are often done with 2 residents cutting/pushing drugs with the attending observing most of the time.

Hospitals/Clinics/Rotation Sites
All of our sites are under the umbrella of Penn Medicine. All hospitals are within 5-15 minutes of each other with many sites located within walking distance.

Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP)
Nation’s 1st teaching hospital. This is our main base and we perform the majority of our elective cases such as orthognathics, TMJ, and benign pathology cases. Most of our attendings operate here and we have block time every Mondays and Thursdays with multiple rooms, and occasionally on Tuesdays and Fridays as well. Clinic is all 5 days a week with occasional office-based procedures including sedations, biopsies, and other office-based procedures. Chief service with plenty of interns and junior residents rotating.

Penn Presbyterian Medical Center (PPMC)
Trauma level 1 center with plenty of assaults, MVCs, falls, and GSWs. Most of our trauma experience comes from here. Trauma call is split between OMFS, ENT and Plastics unless if patient comes through the ED, which will be taken by OMFS 24/7. Clinic is 3 days a week with at least 3-4 sedations and other minor procedures per day as well as numerous patients coming in for consults and follow-ups. The service is run by a PGY-5 or 6 and is a busy service. We have block time every Tuesday where we run multiple rooms, as well as plenty of add-ons during the remainder of the week.

Pennsylvania Hospital (PAH)
Home to the 1st surgical amphitheater and medical library in the States. Our oncology experience comes from Dr. Shanti who mainly operates here and has a dual OMFS-ENT appointment. One PGY-5 or 6 staffs his oncology cases on Mondays and Tuesdays. The inpatient cases are combined OMFS-ENT cases, but the OMFS resident is the senior-most resident in Dr. Shanti's case, participating in neck dissections, free flap harvests, and assisting under the microscope. Block time every Monday and Tuesday. H&N clinic every Wednesday. We do not have an admitting service for anything that comes to the ED, but we would get consults and then transfer to our other sites as deemed necessary.

Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP)
Nation’s 1st children’s hospital. We cover facial trauma every other month, split with Plastics. Block time every Thursday for Pediatric OMFS doing mostly dentoalveolar and pathology cases. Craniofacial is not our strength, but we spend 2 months of our residency operating within the craniofacial service under Plastics doing cranial vaults, clefts, distractors, etc.

Philadelphia VA Medical Center (VAMC)
A busy VA service with Drs. Panchal and Ford. It is predominantly a PGY-2 through 5 rotation site, usually staffed by 1-2 residents. We get most of our implant and graft cases here and perform all sorts of implant or graft cases (including zygomatic implants). Thanks to the VA, residents have unlimited resources to the various types of implants and graft materials: BMP2, BMAC, alloderm, literally anything. Our residents place implants as early as PGY-2 and we have enough cases to go around that the chief residents do not come over to snag implants. Most residents place over 100 implants at the end of their 4th year and finish with ~200 by their chief year. Often there are implant and/or grafting cases all 5 days a week with opportunities to schedule multiple cases a day. Residents control the schedule. Cosmetics is not our strength, but there is some exposure to cosmetics including Mohs recon, rhinoplasties and otoplasties. Block time every Thursday and every other Friday. OMFS takes face call 24/7 and consults are initially seen by GPR residents.

University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine (SDM)
Your typical oral surgery clinic that runs 8 am to 5 pm. It is predominantly a PGY-1 through 4 rotation site, usually staffed by 1 resident. It is a resident run clinic with opportunities to run sedations as early as PGY-1. On a rare incident, the junior resident is paired with a PGY-5 to do more complex cases. The majority of cases are dentoalveolar, some pre-posthetics, and a few implant cases here and there. Only when the resident cases are over, the resident on rotation would often help bail out dental students with difficult extractions. It is a great site for our first years to work with their hands or for the junior residents to brush off the rust from being in med school rotations.

Penn Faculty Practice (PFP)
These are 2 sites. 4 of our attendings each spend a few days of the week at Penn’s faculty practice. This clinic runs from Mon to Fri with multiple operatories to allow at least 3 sedations per day with occasional implant cases. We are always welcomed by the attendings and as a result, the clinic is often staffed by 2-3 residents (often 1 intern, 1 junior, and 1 senior) at a time. Most attendings are hands off and often help push drugs while we are taking our thirds. The clinic is state of the art and set up just like a private practice. There are several dental assistants assisting and turning over chairs to seat the next patient.

Call
Primary call is taken predominantly by our PGY-1 and non-categoricals and is roughly q4-5. Our PGY-2 and -3 also take primary call occasionally while in medical school. Residents take a few OMFS calls a month while in medical school in order to maintain PGY status. Facial trauma call is in house and we have our own call room at every site. PPMC and CHOP are Level 1 Trauma hospitals.

1. Facial Trauma
  • HUP: split with Plastics and ENT every 3 weeks
  • PPMC: 24/7 if patient comes through ED, but if patient comes through the trauma bay then we’ll split with Plastics and ENT every 3 weeks for an entire week
  • CHOP: split with Plastics every other month
  • VAMC: OMFS 24/7 but GPR takes 1st call in all consults
2. Dental: 24/7 everywhere but other services are great at filtering what needs to be seen by OMFS
  • CHOP: Peds Dental takes dental and dental trauma calls
  • HUP: Oral Medicine takes dental clearance consults
  • VAMC: GPR takes 1st call for anything dental

Faculty
Anh Le, DDS, PhD: Chair, leader in translational and stem-cell research
Helen Giannakopoulos, DDS, MD: Program director; full scope
David Stanton, DMD, MD: Cosmetics trained; well-respected faculty in our field; full scope
Lee Carrasco, DDS, MD: Chief of HUP; full scope particularly orthognathics
Eric Granquist, DDS, MD: full scope, probably has one of the highest TMJR volumes in the country
Neeraj Panchal, DDS, MD: Chief of PPMC and VA; full scope particularly reconstructive cases
Rabie Shanti, DMD, MD: H&N/MORS trained, dual appointment with ENT
Steven Wang, DMD, MD: Director of SDM OS; full scope
Brian Ford, DMD, MD: full scope; place a lot of implants with him
Rania Habib, DDS, MD: Cleft & Cranio trained
Brian Chang, DDS: Maxillofacial prosthodontist

Didactics
  • Lectures: every Thursday 7-8 am, occasionally on Tuesday 7-8 am.
    • Includes treatment planning conference, pathology conference, journal club, OMSITE review, etc
  • Department Grand Rounds: every Thursday PM with guest speakers frequently invited.
  • Penn Dental Interdisciplinary Grand Rounds: monthly; combined conference between OMFS, Orthodontics, Prosthodontics and other dental departments
  • Center for Human Appearance: monthly; combined conference between OMFS, Plastic Surgery, ENT, Dermatology, and Oculoplastics

Tuition and Stipend
Tuition
Residents are responsible for 2.5 years of med school tuition from 2nd half of PGY1 to the end of PGY3. This amount adds up ~$149,775 ($59,910 per year) in 2019.

Stipend **
Residents get paid throughout all 6 years of training based on their respective PGY status. The stipend is enough to cover the living expenses and to help alleviate the cost of medical school tuition.
  • 1st year: $45,567 (9 months of PGY1 salary)
  • 2nd year: $52,381 (10 months of PGY2 salary)
  • 3rd year: $65,978
  • 4th year: $68,661
  • 5th year: $71,614
  • 6th year: $74,027
** Numbers are from 2019. The program is currently working to obtain full stipend during 1st and 2 years.

Culture
We have a very diverse group of residents from various parts of the U.S. as well as Canada and Asia. We have a great balance between male and female residents. Some residents have families while others are single. We do not have one ‘malignant’ attending and everyone is approachable including our chair, program director and other senior attendings. There are plenty of social events hosted by the department for social gatherings.

Other Information
The program is located in the heart of Philadelphia, a metropolitan area with rich history. The city is conveniently located between New York (2 hours) and Washington D.C. (2.5 hours) for a weekend trip. Most of our residents live in Center City, which offers plenty of good food with affordable restaurants, nice parks and waterfront. A few residents with families live in the suburbs that are within 15-30 minute commute.

Penn’s Perelman School of Medicine is an ivy league institution and considered a top 3-5 medical school in the nation. The school provides tremendous support for our residents as they undergo their medical training. We get a great medical education. In addition, Penn Health System and the Children’s Hospital are both well-resourced and offer a great working environment for any employee including residents.

Recent Graduates
Most graduates pursue private practice, but our recent graduates have matched into craniofacial and cosmetic fellowships. Every year is different, but our most recent graduates are in fellowships.

Internship
4 non-categorical interns are taken each year. Our non-categorical interns are treated just like our categoricals with equal responsibilities as well as call distribution. Interns at Penn match well to categorical positions. our recent interns have successfully matched into the following programs: Penn, West Virginia, Jefferson, Montefiore, MUSC, Medstar, Minnesota, Mt. Sinai, Tufts, Kentucky, etc. More information regarding the internship can be found at the following link:

Internships - Penn Dental Medicine

Externship
We offer 1- to 2-week externships any dental or medical students who are interested in the program. We recommend that you visit us to learn more about what the program has to offer. This is predominantly an observership, but our externs will work alongside residents at HUP, PPMC, CHOP, PAH and dental school, participating in rounds, OR or clinic. The VA does not accommodate students at this time. More information regarding the externship can be found at the following link:

Externships - Penn Dental Medicine

=====================

Thanks for your attention. PM me with any questions.

EDIT: May 24, 2020

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hello,

Any Herman Ostrow USC 4 or 6 year residents mind sharing any info about the program? Specifically the program structure/rotations for the 4 year program (i.e. First year: OMFS 6 mo, Anesthesia 3 mo, Peds anesthesia 3 mo, Second Year: SICU 1 mo, neurosurgery 1 mo. etc.) However any information would be helpful! Thank you!

Los Angeles County + University of Southern California - Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency
(LAC+USC OMFS)

Main Hospitals
Los Angeles County + University of Southern California (LAC+USC) Medical Center- Largest Level 1 trauma center in Los Angeles. OMFS takes all isolated Mandibles 7 days/week. Split facial trauma (ENT 3 d, OMFS 2d, Plastics 1d). Contract with County Jail system. Mostly trauma, orthognathics, some pathology. Point and pull clinic. Sedation clinic. Implants. 3 dedicated OR days/week
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA)- Largest Pediatric level 1 trauma center in Los Angeles. Work side by side with plastic surgery in the Division of Plastic and Maxillofacial Surgery. Full scope craniofacial, pediatric plastic surgery, craniofacial orthognathics, and pediatric oral surgery cases. Often 2 ORs running 3-4d/week
Keck Medical Center of USC- Typically some orthognathic cases that are private patients of attendings
Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC- Implants, pros implant cases, sedations, dentoalveolar, etc
Los Angeles County System hospitals (Ranchos Los Amigos, Long Beach, etc.)- dentoalveolar

Attendings
Mark Urata, MD, DDS- Dual trained in OMFS and Plastics, craniofacial fellowship trained. Chair of OMFS and Plastic Surgery at USC. Operates at CHLA.
Nam Cho, DDS, MD- Co-chair and program director, operates at LAC+USC and Keck Hospital
Felix Kyle Yip, DDS, MD- Operates at LAC+USC and Keck Hospital
Jeffrey Hammoudeh, MD, DDS- Dual trained in OMFS and Plastics, craniofacial fellowship trained. Operates at CHLA.
William Magee, MD, DDS- Dual trained in OMFS and Plastics, operates at CHLA
Mitchel Seruya, MD- Plastic surgeon at CHLA
Bach Le, DDS, MD- Operates at LAC+USC
James McAndrews, DDS- Operates at LAC+USC
Thomas Auyong, DDS- Operates at LAC+USC
Cynthia Au Yeung DDS, MD- Operates at LAC+USC
Various faculty at Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry

New residents per year-
2 six year
1 four year
1 non-categorical intern

Current 4 Year Track-
Year 1-
July- OMFS
August-December-Anesthesia (1 month peds)
Jan-June- OMFS
Year 2-
1 month rotations in Medicine, Acute Care Surgery, Surgical ICU, ENT, Plastics, CHLA
6 months OMFS
Year 3-
CHLA- 4 Months
Trauma Surgeon at LAC+USC - 4 months
Dental School- 3 months
OMFS Co-chief- 1 month
Year 4-
OMFS Chief- 12 months

Current 6 Year Track-
Year 1-
July- OMFS
August-December- Anesthesia (1 month peds)
January-June- First Year med school
Year 2-
Second Year Med School
Year 3-
Third Year Med School
Year 4-
OMFS- 5 months (4 months LAC+USC, 1 month CHLA)
General Surgery- 7 months (2 months ENT, plastics, orthopedics, anesthesia, transplant, night float, vacation month) *Varies from year to year
Year 5-
CHLA- 3 Months
Trauma Surgeon at LAC+USC- 4 months
Dental School- 4 months
OMFS Co-chief- 1 month
Year 6-
OMFS Chief- 12 months

*Chief year for both 6 year and 4 year residents is very flexible. Time can be spent according to interests.

Financials
USC Med School Cost- around $150k after 15k scholarship
County Employee Benefits (free health insurance (including spouse and children), life insurance, dental insurance, pension, housing stipend, educational stipend)
Meals are covered- LA county 3 meals/day, Keck Hospital 3 meals/day, Norris Hospital 3 meals/day.
Free Parking

Where Residents Live-
Alhambra, El Monte, Pasadena, Monterey Park, downtown LA, some have lived on the west side.

Call Schedule-
Varied, from q3-q6 depending on how many residents on service. *Technically* in-house call required.

Externship-
Completing all of the paperwork and obtaining clearance to be at the county hospital takes a long time, so plan accordingly.

Does anyone have any updates on:
Cincinnati
BU
Memphis
Knoxville
Medical College of Wisconsin

Thank you

Any information on the program at Woodhull (Brooklyn, NY)?

Thank you