OMFS Residency Inquiry - Non US resident/Citizen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

selvator

Reaction score
Hello All!

I genuinely wonder and I cant seem to find an answer. Has there been ANY non-US citizens/Residents and non-Canadians who got accepted into a OMFS residency in the past 3 years?

I am an international who finished both my undergrad and dental school (ranked top 20%) from the US with a CBSE of 75. I have applied both last year (2 interviews) and this year (did an internship this year), and I given the extremely limited number of programs that do accept internationals I barely get any interviews. Even those that have interviewed me and contacted me, as well as my intern university all state how hard it is to sponsor visas. It shocks me especially since I know of so MDs and have seen many MD residents in the hospital that are on visas with no issues, yet I rarely see it in dentistry/OMFS.

Is there anyone here that has faced this and can hopefully give me a ray of hope.

Best
M

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All!

I genuinely wonder and I cant seem to find an answer. Has there been ANY non-US citizens/Residents and non-Canadians who got accepted into a OMFS residency in the past 3 years?

I am an international who finished both my undergrad and dental school (ranked top 20%) from the US with a CBSE of 75. I have applied both last year (2 interviews) and this year (did an internship this year), and I given the extremely limited number of programs that do accept internationals I barely get any interviews. Even those that have interviewed me and contacted me, as well as my intern university all state how hard it is to sponsor visas. It shocks me especially since I know of so MDs and have seen many MD residents in the hospital that are on visas with no issues, yet I rarely see it in dentistry/OMFS.

Is there anyone here that has faced this and can hopefully give me a ray of hope.

Best
M
There are two attendings at the University of Cincinnati who have each done 3 intern years before matching. Nothing is impossible, albeit perhaps being a very long road.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
There are two attendings at the University of Cincinnati who have each done 3 intern years before matching. Nothing is impossible, albeit perhaps being a very long road.
Damn thats a long road. Do you know if they did all 3 interships at the same program? or did they move around each time

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn thats a long road. Do you know if they did all 3 interships at the same program? or did they move around each time
They did not actually. They did go to some tough programs to train though. LSU, Maryland, Miami.

Hello All!

Best
M

I haven’t heard of anyone getting accepted without being either a U.S. citizen, Canadian citizen, or have proof of permanent residency within the U.S.

You mentioned there are programs that accept internationals. Which programs are these ?

As long as you are getting interviews I honestly think you are on the right path. Keep working towards your dream! Someone will notice you in the end.
Whats weird i havent received any interviews this cycle with an internship! (except where im interning which i think was a courtesy interview tbh because they never sponsor)

I know 2 internationals who matched in different years, but both were green card holders