Battlesign

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Does anyone know if the ADA, ADEA, etc. has these stats for each program available to students, or do you have to request this information from each program? It would be nice to see this info for each program so that one could make an educated decision.

oms fan

How I feel everyday...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2004
Los Angeles
Status
Battlesign said:
Does anyone know if the ADA, ADEA, etc. has these stats for each program available to students, or do you have to request this information from each program? It would be nice to see this info for each program so that one could make an educated decision.
ASDA puts out some postdoc guides. One of them (vol. 3) is specifically for OMS. I have never looked through it but I've heard it is usually a little out of date. One of my classmates who has it told me this. You can buy it from ASDA though if you want. Here is the link: http://www.asdanet.org/store/index.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=2
"Each guide's program profiles include facts about application deadlines, stipends, starting dates, faculty, patient mix, how the resident's time is spent and much more." (quoted from the ASDA site.)

Hope this helps.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
oms fan said:
I have never looked through it but I've heard it is usually a little out of date. One of my classmates who has it told me this.
I've heard that it is VERY out-of-date.

River13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2003
Visit site
Status
The ADA has the info. All OMFS residencies submit a mandatory yearly summary of their stats, ie # of orthognathic jaws, sedations, cosmetics, trauma, etc. A lot of it is even divided into types, like how many frontal sinus fractures, how many ZMC's, etc.

Now, can you get your hands on it? The only way I know is to ask it of each program. The OMS program director at my dental school told me that if a program is reluctant to show that information to you then its one you want to avoid.

Having said that only about 1/2 of the places I interviewed at would give the info.

Best Wishes.