steppwolf

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
126
0
Status
Non-Student
I have decent stats -- MCAT (34/0), GPA (3.7, chem major) -- lots of relevant volunteer hours, clinical work experience, community service, etc. -- but no research. I just didn't have the time or inclination, although I could possibly do some my senior year.

Is this going to be a big negative in the application process? List includes schools across the spectrum of selectivity. What do I say if asked about lack of research?
 

MinnyGophers

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
618
0
Status
Post Doc
Research is not required unless you're applying to the top schools, which are more research/academia inclined.
But it's always good to have some under your belt...
So if you're applying to the Harvards/Stanfords/Yales/Hopkins/Dukes and many others, having no research xp is most likely a rejection on the way.
 
About the Ads

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
11,826
57
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
it might be required or heavily preferred if ur goin to apply for md/phd or mtsp programs
 

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
23,373
34,025
Status
Academic Administration
dr.z said:
You don't need research experience to goto medical school.
But your chances won't be great at the top 20 schools that, while not requiring research, seen to prefer applicants with research experience such that almost >90% of the matriculants have had such experience.
 

CTtarheel

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2006
775
2
Status
Medical Student
The only place it might come up is in the essays, but all the secondary essays that asked about it asked about your research OR teaching experience.
 

Severus

FTSM!
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
11,107
102
teh OR
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I felt as if not having it kind of hurt me the first time around, fwiw.
 

peezyweezy

Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
126
0
Status
The dean of admissions for Hopkins spoke at my school. He said that he personally doesn't give a care about research when he is determining who would make a good doctor and admitting students. I was surprised. You definitely can't say that admissions committees across the board feel the same way, but it just proves that research is not essential. It can help you, but that doesn't mean that not having it necessarily hurts you. Depends on the place.
 
OP
S

steppwolf

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
126
0
Status
Non-Student
MinnyGophers said:
Research is not required unless you're applying to the top schools, which are more research/academia inclined.
But it's always good to have some under your belt...
So if you're applying to the Harvards/Stanfords/Yales/Hopkins/Dukes and many others, having no research xp is most likely a rejection on the way.
Not shooting for the creme de la creme, but I do have Emory, Case, Baylor, Pritzker, and Feinberg in there, followed by several good state schools in the midwest. Am I going to have to defend the lack of research in my secondaries?
 

MinnyGophers

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
618
0
Status
Post Doc
steppwolf said:
Not shooting for the creme de la creme, but I do have Emory, Case, Baylor, Pritzker, and Feinberg in there, followed by several good state schools in the midwest. Am I going to have to defend the lack of research in my secondaries?
Well if you have excellent other ECs, then you have a good reason as to why you didnt do any research. Not everyone wants to be involved in research and that is perfectly fine for the schools you're applying to. You can talk about how you prefer doing other things more involved with patient care than sit in a lab all day.

So I think you will definitely be okay.
 

geno2568

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
408
0
34
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
correlation does not imply causation

in my school, i cant think of any premeds that were 32/3.6 or better that didnt do research

come to think of it, i cant think of any serious science major in ym school that didnt do at least some lab work
 
About the Ads

MinnyGophers

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
618
0
Status
Post Doc
geno2568 said:
correlation does not imply causation

in my school, i cant think of any premeds that were 32/3.6 or better that didnt do research

come to think of it, i cant think of any serious science major in ym school that didnt do at least some lab work
Most pre-meds with scores in these ranges are most likely to be the "going for all" types, and thus probably trying to get in to everything...
For scientific majors, lab work is more emphasized and there are more opportunities to be involved in research. It's much easier for them who have a larger access to it than for those who major non-sci.
 

geno2568

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
408
0
34
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
but non-science majors can write a thesis

thats also research
 

MinnyGophers

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
618
0
Status
Post Doc
geno2568 said:
but non-science majors can write a thesis

thats also research
That's true. But really, subconsciously, what would be better in the eyes of a Harvard adcomm?
Scientific vs non-scientific research?

As a science major, research is emphasized. Non-sci, not so much. I think that's what mostly accounts for the discrepancies in research vs no research students when applying... Obviously that's not saying that non-sci majors never do research. But I think they are at a disadvantage in that area.
 

TMP-SMX

Senior Member
Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
3,777
129
Status
Attending Physician
geno2568 said:
but non-science majors can write a thesis

thats also research
Yep. Biology majors at my school are required to do independent research to receive their B.S.

Honors College students have to write a thesis no matter what their major is. So it works out for me.
 

geno2568

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
408
0
34
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
what school?
 

MollyMalone

I'm a Score Quadruplet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
5,796
20
45
The anterosuperior branch of the inferomedial some
Status
MinnyGophers said:
As a science major, research is emphasized. Non-sci, not so much. I think that's what mostly accounts for the discrepancies in research vs no research students when applying... Obviously that's not saying that non-sci majors never do research. But I think they are at a disadvantage in that area.
That hasn't been my experience, but it's an interesting thought. I don't think there's data on it anywhere.

/English major
//Two years physiology research
///n=1

:)
 

geno2568

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
408
0
34
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
uc riverside?
 

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
2,510
4
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Pritzker and Feinberg are both big on research, as far as your IL schools go.
 

BozoSparky

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
469
6
Status
Attending Physician
MinnyGophers said:
That's true. But really, subconsciously, what would be better in the eyes of a Harvard adcomm?
Scientific vs non-scientific research?

As a science major, research is emphasized. Non-sci, not so much. I think that's what mostly accounts for the discrepancies in research vs no research students when applying... Obviously that's not saying that non-sci majors never do research. But I think they are at a disadvantage in that area.
they really try for a diverse student body...all shapes & sizes...
 
About the Ads

ADeadLois

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
3,158
6
Status
Medical Student
Research might be good fodder for interviews, but you should be fine without it.
 

notdeadyet

Still in California
Moderator
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
11,737
1,901
Status
Attending Physician
ADeadLois said:
Research might be good fodder for interviews, but you should be fine without it.
Exactly. Look at it this way, liberal arts majors are actually accepted at a higher rate than science majors. Most liberal arts majors have no research experience, many science majors do. It's obviously not too limiting.

I asked my premed advisor, whose opinion I really respect, if my lack of research was going to keep me out of med school. She said there's a very short list of schools that it may be a killer at. UCSF, Hopkins and other top ones were not on that list. None I was interested were, with the exception of Stanford.
 

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
7,990
45
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
Reading SDN you get the feeling if you don't have at least 2 years of research and a few articles published you are screwed....but I've talked to a few people that say the research isn't that important in their decision...more that you view yourself as a public servant. (USF was the school that said that) So apply to a few schools that aren't as research oriented and that can help.
 

MinnyGophers

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
618
0
Status
Post Doc
MollyMalone said:
That hasn't been my experience, but it's an interesting thought. I don't think there's data on it anywhere.

/English major
//Two years physiology research
///n=1

:)
Yeah, I found my thesis/another research opportunity! "The effect of a non-sci major on research opportunities for pre-medical students" :D
 

aumed22

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
199
1
Status
I did research my sophomore year of undergrad, but got no publication and I actually left my mentor on sort of a sour note, so I didn't get a rec letter from him. When it came time to apply, I didn't even mention my research on my amcas, I thought if I didn't publish anything, why include it. In the end, I was accepted to more than one med school, so I think you'll be fine
 

MinnyGophers

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
618
0
Status
Post Doc
BozoSparky said:
they really try for a diverse student body...all shapes & sizes...
true, but subconsciously....

Research is not required to most schools, besides Stanford and a few others... but it is very well looked upon by most of the top schools.
No research doesn't mean the end of the world, as long as you have good ECs, you'll be fine. But if you can and enjoy it, then why not? It can only make your application more enticing to schools...
 

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
9,817
4
TX
Status
Attending Physician
geno2568 said:
but non-science majors can write a thesis

thats also research
Seriously?

Damn it - why didn't anyone tell me this before I submitted AMCAS!?!? :mad:

In that case I have craploads of research!!!
 

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
9,817
4
TX
Status
Attending Physician
steppwolf said:
Not shooting for the creme de la creme, but I do have Emory, Case, Baylor, Pritzker, and Feinberg in there, followed by several good state schools in the midwest. Am I going to have to defend the lack of research in my secondaries?
I'm applying to Baylor and Emory (and some other ranked schools) with no research (at least none listed on AMCAS :mad: ). Baylor doesn't really have a place to talk about it in your secondary and I haven't gotten Emory's yet. I don't think it will hurt me substantially but I'll be sure to post when I get my first rejection :(
 
OP
S

steppwolf

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
126
0
Status
Non-Student
Thanks for all the replies. I'll take them as a collective yes-no-maybe-sometimes/somewhere-depends-chill-panic answer to my original question. :) Seriously, though, I appreciate the words of support.
 
About the Ads

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
6,897
1,649
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
steppwolf said:
Thanks for all the replies. I'll take them as a collective yes-no-maybe-sometimes/somewhere-depends-chill-panic answer to my original question. :) Seriously, though, I appreciate the words of support.
If it makes you feel any better, I'm sorta in the same position as you... Except I haven't taken my MCATs and I've only been in college for a year... I'll try to get a research position this year, but I'm not sure how well that'll work out.
 

geno2568

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
408
0
34
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
Oakland University

(though uc riverside did also fit the description)

gapotts2003 said:
No. It's in Michigan.
 

khadija

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
160
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
u have no idea how much this thread reassures me. I'm a doublescience major and yet no research. (i mean i started some this summer but i don't know if that counts). At the same time i'm applying to a lot of the top schools. On the other hand my friends (all non premeds) keep telling me that i'll get in cause i have a good gpa and mcat score. yet on a third hand (i know, a third hand???), most ppl i know that r in med school now have done research in undergrad.
 
W

WWU_Viking

I did not really love being in lab all the time. I'ts okay. (I am a bio major!) I have no interest in purusing research, but will do one quarter of required independent science research. I would much rather devote time to volunteering at a clinic.

One summer-I was accepted into some research program but chose to do a youth symphony concert tour instead.

I'm not planning to apply to any "top schools" or research oriented ones.
 

Mister Pie

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2005
594
1
Status
Medical Student
LizzyM said:
But your chances won't be great at the top 20 schools that, while not requiring research, seen to prefer applicants with research experience such that almost >90% of the matriculants have had such experience.
I wonder though if this might be because there might be a correlation between students who do research and who are more motivated/have higher stats in general. I guess what I mean is, maybe if you look at the stuff done by those applicants with research, perhaps their stats and other extracurriculars just simply tend to be better than the rest of the applicant pool and so the fact that 90% of the students at top schools have research experience might be due to the higher average grades and other more involvement in other activites.

DISCLAIMER: I have no evidence for or against anything I'm saying, it's all pure speculation.
 

Rocket3004

Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2005
422
0
Status
Medical Student
Medicine is nothing w/o research!

I think everyone should do some to appreciate what it takes to say: "take 2 and call me in the morning" :laugh:

but at the same token, lab rat = not fun. :sleep: :scared:
 

):(

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2006
155
0
Status
Not having research puts you at a disadvantage... Think about it, when a drug company asks you to use their drugs will you be able to think like a scientist and understand the primary research papers in relation to the drugs? Also, you have heavy competition; many students have published papers and participated in research. No research won't kill you at any school, but it definitely will not be a highlight of your application.
 

R.P. McMurphy

Guest
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
2,958
1
Status
Pre-Medical

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
9,817
4
TX
Status
Attending Physician
):( said:
Not having research puts you at a disadvantage... Think about it, when a drug company asks you to use their drugs will you be able to think like a scientist and understand the primary research papers in relation to the drugs? Also, you have heavy competition; many students have published papers and participated in research. No research won't kill you at any school, but it definitely will not be a highlight of your application.
So how does having no organized research experience translate into being scientifically illiterate?
 

CCLCMer

CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
1,873
29
Cleveland expatriate
cclcmstudent.blogspot.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
steppwolf said:
I have decent stats -- MCAT (34/0), GPA (3.7, chem major) -- lots of relevant volunteer hours, clinical work experience, community service, etc. -- but no research. I just didn't have the time or inclination, although I could possibly do some my senior year.

Is this going to be a big negative in the application process? List includes schools across the spectrum of selectivity. What do I say if asked about lack of research?
You must have done other things that you really love and are passionate about, right? So talk about those. You don't have to be a lab rat to get into med school, and even programs like mine that are really heavy into research have some students with very little science research background. A bunch of my classmates even got liberal arts degrees. You definitely don't have to be a science person. But, I think it's important to have some kind of record of scholarship in whatever your major is. So if you're a humanities major and you have the option, definitely do write the thesis, or submit an article to a journal in your field, or put on an art show, or whatever the standard is for your field. And don't do lab research just to try to impress adcoms. You won't be impressing anyone if you're bored silly and you aren't motivated to spend the time in the lab.

-CCLCMer
 

geno2568

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
408
0
34
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical

R.P. McMurphy

Guest
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
2,958
1
Status
Pre-Medical
CptCrunch said:
Holy shnikies.
I know, reading that profile almost makes me puke :laugh:

Hmmm do I want to go to Penn or Harvard??
 

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
2,343
5
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
):( said:
Not having research puts you at a disadvantage... Think about it, when a drug company asks you to use their drugs will you be able to...
Not all of us yearn to be lapdogs of pharmaceuticals.
 
About the Ads